The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags:

Portable recording solution for voice work?
Old 7th June 2006
Here for the gear

Question Portable recording solution for voice work?

My sister does commercial voice work. The studios have her send in audio files that she records at home. However, she is often on the road doing other work. So, she would like a portable solution involving a laptop and a mic that she can use to record these file while in hotel rooms ect. What sound card should she get? Should it have a break out box with a mic pre and phantom power? Laptop suggestions (pc only)? Mic suggestions? She is no technical whiz (an engineer helped with the home setup) so perhaps she should buy from an audio computer shop? Thanks for your help, the first question, reguarding sound cards is the most important.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

I would say a Apogee MiniMe would be a great intervace for her.
It will have a nice mic pre on board, and good converters too.
She will be able to get a headphone mix out of it too.

When it comes to the computer I can't help you too much.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

I would agree with the MiniMe if she has around (I'm guessing here) $1200US to spend; otherwise, she could look at Digidesign's original Mbox (I say that because I understand the pres in Mbox 2 aren't as good), MOTU Traveller, Fireface, etc. You could search for USB or firewire interfaces to get some other ideas.

For mics, look at Shure SM 7 or Sennheiser 421MD dynamic mics, or just about any 20, 30 or 40 series condensor mic from audio-technica. If more money is available, look at AKG C414 or Neumann U87 or TLM 103, for example.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

FWIW I'm also a voice-over artist and I do work on the move with the following set-up:

Microtech Gefell M930 >> Metric Halo ULN-2 >> 12" PowerBook + Sony MDR7506 cans

This is a pretty decent voice-over set-up anywhere actually - the fact that it's totally mobile is a bonus!
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

what about a high end stand alone recorder.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

very portable and less to go wrong, maybe. just a thought. this thing and a good mic.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search