The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording a show in Tokyo
Old 5th June 2006
Here for the gear

Question Recording a show in Tokyo

Hi all need to rec a show in Tokyo shortly.
I'm after a good hire Co to source the gear.
Anybody have connections over there?

Regards from Melbourne

Trev
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Talk about not needing crowd mics
Old 6th June 2006
Super Moderator

Trevor Cronin!!!

Excellent to see you here.

I have a few suggestions for Japan.
One of our associates has built two and worked on many mobile units in Japan.

My buddy Kazutaka Noda designed two NHK mobiles.
One has a 48 channel NEVE VR Legend with a 14 channel Studer 962.
The other mobile unit has a 56 channel SSL9000J with a bunch of outboard pres and such. From what I understand two of NHK's mobile units are available for hire via sister company. Their other mobiles are in use by the Japanese government. Or something to that effect.

Sound Creators, Inc. have 5 mobiles and have a lot of portable equipment via their rental department. My buddy, Kaz Noda knows a few of the folks at SCI. There's a GS member that works or worked at SCI. If you search this forum with the words "Seuol Korea" you should find the thread with that guys information. You can send him a PM.

TAMCO is also available in Japan. They have 4 mobiles. Kaz has worked with them many times. http://www.tamco-inc.co.jp/www1/mobile/mainmosiryou.htm

West Lake Recording have a NEVE truck. Very professional situation but, a little more expensive than the others. I don't have a link for them.

Let's not forget NHK Technical Services. That's the company my buddy Kaz worked for. They have two mobiles for rental. http://www.nhk-ts.co.jp/rental/r01.html

From what I understand, those are the main mobile recording companies in Japan. There are others but, not as happening as the ones I already mentioned.
There are more than 10 mobile recording facilities plus a bunch of portable rigs that range from TASCAM DTRS to ProTools. A variety of mic pres and all the other goodies are also available.

I hope this helps...

Thanks again for visiting the "Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording" forum.
Old 4th July 2006
Gear Nut

Tokyo shows

Hi Trev,

I live in Tokyo working as a recording engineer....mainly classical location recording....
give me a shout if you still need some advice.

phil.

thumbsup
Old 14th July 2006
Super Moderator

Trev, How did the gig go?
Old 2nd September 2006
Gear Nut

Just found this post. The trucks mentioned earlier are pretty much the top group. There's maybe a couple more rigs specialized in classical, and maybe one more in the Osaka area worthy of consideration, but that depends on where and the type of gig.

I tend to prefer SCI, since I have worked with them before and a lot of my friends have too. Tamco is more for TV broadcasts and stuff that have sync involved. SCI are equally adept at these gigs also, but in terms of general $ flow, Tamco is more corporate, SCI more music biz.

SCI also own SES, which is THE rental company in Tokyo for pro audio. I worked with SES last year in arranging some recordings in non studio type places for an album and they supplied a lot of the mic pre's, etc. They even built some custom stuff for the project and their maintenance man is very old school and effective.

I have no experience with the NHK trucks, but I'm sure they are very capable.

If you are recording a show/tour with promoters, depending on who the PA/SR company is, they may be able to organize their own recording rig or sub-contract something for you. If they sub-contract, the gig usually goes to SCI or Tamco.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search