The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
signal path advice - remote rig
Old 23rd May 2006
Here for the gear

Question signal path advice - remote rig

Thanks for checking me out and offering your help.
I recently added some items to my rig, Heres the scenario.....

My 16 channel rig:
16 channel mic splitter
Digi 002
digimax 96k - 8 channel preamp w. a/d converter
16 channel Allen and Heath wz3 mixer w...digital effects...w/ direct outs (True Direct)
tc elecronics finalizer 96k (w ad converter)
tascam cdrw2000 (w ad converter)

This gear allows me to:
1. record 16 tracks of pure signal to hard drive (to mix later)
2. Independantly mix 16 channels to be recorded to cd via the finalizer. (to give band a rough mix at end of performance)

Questions:

Should I run from splitter into the mixer first, then into my DAW..
or
Run from splitter into my Digimax 96k and DigiOO2 first, then stream out each channel independantly to the mixer...

Also

How exactly should I connect the finalizer to the cd recorder.....
Should I let the finalizer do the A to D then run digital to the cd recorder.....
or
convert back to Analog then have the cd recorder do the A to D again?

In general, does signal degrade after multiple d2a and a2d conversions?

THANK YOU,
the mookdogger
Old 23rd May 2006
Lou Judson
I use an analog board and do a live mix to HD while taking the pre outs to the Digi and Presonus - but then I am doing the live PA at the same time, usually, and give them the live board mix as a rough.

I'd lose the finalizer and use a nice comp/lim on the 2 mix, if you need to. I only comp the vocals, bass and kick most of the time.

But I never do a live CDR if I can help it - too vunerable to depend on for me.
Old 23rd May 2006
Super Moderator

The question is: Do you like the sound of your mixer’s pres?

If so, plug your mics through the splitter into your mixer first. I like going through outboard pres into the A/D to the recorder then output the multitrack to the mixer.

If you’re not too keen on your mixers mic pres and do not have other pres to play with, go from splitter into your Digimax 96k and DigiOO2 first, then out oh each track independently to the mixer.

I would do a test and see which A/Ds you like better – The Finalizer or the CDRW2000 A/Ds. But, if you believe you need the Finalizer, go through it first then run digitally to the CDR. I also feel a nice sounding stereo compress will do more for you then that Finalizer.

In general, signal does degrade after multiple A/D; D/A conversions.
Old 23rd May 2006
Here for the gear

to continue.....

thanks for the advice remoteness.

You are the 2nd person to hint at losing the finalizer.

Its the tc electronics finalizer 96k. I spent a G on it, and would like to use it.
It has multi-band compression plus tons of other mastering type effects....
Have you or anyone heard bad things about this unit?
I have only heard good things up until now.

thanks....
Old 23rd May 2006
Super Moderator

For me, it's more about how you use it or, (err) over use it...

IMO, the less processing the better.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lou Judson
Finalizer might be fine for the rough CD, but unless very carefully used with restraint, it can do more harm than good. Mainly, NEVER use it on aything that will be mastered by a professional - what it does can not be undone, and it takes fine sensibilities to know what helps and what hurts.

The fact that you think it is great because of its cost shows that you need a lot more experience to know what to do, and mostly what NOT to do, with it. I am not being harsh on you, just advising that you use it a lot and get to know how to get it to work with you and not against you. Take some of your recorded sessions and do a bunch of practicing and see what you can do!

My experience says less is better - it will help you avoid overloading the CDrs, but too much will just make mush...
Old 23rd May 2006
Here for the gear

come on people now....smile on your brother!

I did not say It was great because of the cost, In fact, I never said it was great.
I have read that its very easy to get good sounds with it, and heard the same as well. I have also physically heard it do some really cool things and have heard it make an average mix, really bump to life on the cdr. I purchased it because of a few experiences Ive had with it, that were quite pleasing. Please refrain from insulting me, and rather just offer advice, which is what I had asked for in the first place.

Ive never understood the whole competitive vibe on this site, you know, where people are out to get one another.....and more annoyingly, prove they are better!

We are all working together here....for the good of the music.

-the mookdogger
Old 23rd May 2006
Lou Judson
Sorry! I didn't mean it that way really. I've just seen some radical misuses of such gear. Obviously you know more than I thought. Not meaning to put you down, the way I put it was not very nice. Apologies!

Lou
Old 23rd May 2006
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookdogger
...Ive never understood the whole competitive vibe on this site, you know, where people are out to get one another.....and more annoyingly, prove they are better!

We are all working together here....for the good of the music.

-the mookdogger
I hear you my man and totally understand where you are coming from but, Lou did say, "He's not being harsh on you..." I don't think his disclaimer help you feel better but, I'm sure he was not trying to offend you.

Furthermore, I believe this forum (Remote Possibilities) is not that kind of place.

Hey, we have your back as we have everyone's back covered. I could not have it any other way.

Now, go enjoy the forum.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search