The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HD24 users. digital+analogue at the same time?
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Question HD24 users. digital+analogue at the same time?

Ok I know Im posting a lot at the moment but things are hotting up and executive decisions need to be made.

My question this time is to any HD24 users. Does anyone out there combine a digital signal going into the HD24 with its analogue inputs? Are the HD24s clock recovery circuits up to the task of clocking externally and still sounding ok?

Thanks again
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosrite
My question this time is to any HD24 users. Does anyone out there combine a digital signal going into the HD24 with its analogue inputs? Are the HD24s clock recovery circuits up to the task of clocking externally and still sounding ok?
You should probably go ask this on the HD24 group on Yahoo.

I've mixed the analog and digital inputs on the HD24 with good results in the past, but I don't do it very often.
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks Gilliland,

As an HD24 user do you know what the score with their word clock is? On the Alesis site it mentions something about only clocking at 44.1 and 48khz but yet the machine is capable of a 96khz digital input is it not?
Old 21st May 2006
Quote:
Thanks Gilliland,

As an HD24 user do you know what the score with their word clock is? On the Alesis site it mentions something about only clocking at 44.1 and 48khz but yet the machine is capable of a 96khz digital input is it not?
I'm not Jim, but yes, the HD24 is capable of digital input at 96khz, but only at 12 channels (SMUX, or whatever it's called, which uses each lightpipe for 4 channels). The HD24XR will record 24 channels at 96khz via analog and the converters are apparently much better, although I had no complaints from anyone about my recordings with the regular HD24. I regularly clock it externally with either a Grace Lunatec V3 or a Metric Halo MIO 2882.

HTH
Edwin
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Edwin is exactly right. Either HD24 unit can record and playback at 88.2 or 96K via its digital I/O. But only the HD24XR can do so via its analog I/O.
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Addict

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinhurwitz

The HD24XR will record 24 channels at 96khz via analog and the converters are apparently much better, although I had no complaints from anyone about my recordings with the regular HD24.

HTH
Edwin
I thought that at 88/96khz sample rates only 12 tracks are available, dig or analogue???
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrecording
I thought that at 88/96khz sample rates only 12 tracks are available, dig or analogue???
Correct. Sorry for suggesting otherwise.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

I don't have the XR version, but here is my understanding:

At 96kHz:
HD24XR can do 12 analog in OR 12 digital vial lightpipe
HD24 can do 12 digital via lightpipe only

At: 48kHz:
Both can do 24 channels

You CANNOT use the digital inputs and the analog inputs at the same time, as far as I can tell. Your input source on the front panel is a selection of either digital or analog. There is no "both" option, unfortunately. A previous poster suggested they had done this before - this might be a feature on the XR version but I can't seem to do it on my regular HD24...

Dirk
Old 22nd May 2006
i've done analog and digital ins at the same time (one of my presonus
mic pre units had a pair of dig outs get flaky on me). no problem...though
if i recall correctly, you can only set pairs of tracks to either analog
or digital...not individual channels. please double check me...i could
be wrong about that.

marty.
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnjazz
You CANNOT use the digital inputs and the analog inputs at the same time, as far as I can tell. Your input source on the front panel is a selection of either digital or analog. There is no "both" option, unfortunately. A previous poster suggested they had done this before - this might be a feature on the XR version but I can't seem to do it on my regular HD24...
All HD24 models can do this, but they must be at least up to firmware version 1.12 or higher. (The current version is 1.20). If you have older firmware than that, you probably should upgrade - there have been a lot of improvements, along with some bug fixes.

If you are at the correct firmware level, just look into your Utility menu for the analog/digital selection. As Marty says, you can set any pair of channels to either analog or digital. Once you've set up a mix of analog and digital channels in the utility menu, the Input Source selection on the front panel will begin to toggle through THREE possible settings: Analog, Digital, or both (with both words lit). If you choose the "both" setting, then the settings in the Utility menu take effect. You can still choose all digital or all analog if you prefer.

Let me remind everyone again of the HD24 discussion group on Yahoo. It's a very active group with over 1250 members, so it's definitely the best place to go for definitive information on the HD24.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Listen to Gilliland, for he speaks the truth.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search