The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HELP! Still need a multitrack...
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Talking HELP! Still need a multitrack...

Guys,

I still need a multitrack! Good news is that I now have a budget (£1500, approx $2800). The Alesis HD24 ticks all the right boxes except its digital connectivity. Even if I convert my AES or SPDIF signal to ADAT to go into it Im restricted to ADATs 48khz sample rate.

I was wondering if any of the mobile devices might do it? Obviously built in pres are never a bad thing as an option too and I only need 4 trks. I looked at the Edirol R4 and it seemed like it could be the solution until I went to their site and found out that it "resamples" any incoming digital signal (i.e. it cant slave to my master clock). Other than that it would have been a good solution.

I know Sound Devices does a 4trk but its double my budget (while I said I had a budget, it is a small budget as I need room for some mics etc).

The Tascam MX2424 and Mackie HDR24/96 would do the job and second hand would probably be in budget but they are proving very elusive here in the UK.

Is there anything anyone can think of?

AES / SPDIF or Toslink inputs
24bit / 96khz capable
Half decent ADC's for the analogue inputs
More than 4 tracks
Word Clock or able to slave to AES or SPDIF clock signal
Preferably HD based
Perhaps couple of built in preamps (not essential)
Preferably new

I know some of you might be sick of this but its coming to crunch time. I either buy something or have to stomach hire costs for about a week (spread over a month). About a third of my budget

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Guess I've used up all my "credit" on this subject. Thanks anyway.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosrite
Guys,

The Alesis HD24 ticks all the right boxes except its digital connectivity. Even if I convert my AES or SPDIF signal to ADAT to go into it Im restricted to ADATs 48khz sample rate.
I keep reading this post thinking I'm missing something, but I don't think I am...

The HD24 will do 96kHz over the ADAT, but it is limited to 12 tracks. To record 24 channels of 96kHz via the ADAT ports you need two of them. It only does 48kHz max on the analog inputs.

Dirk
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Sorry you're right. Unfortunately it still doesnt have the digital inputs I need.
Old 19th May 2006
Here for the gear

Why don't you just use a digital format converter? <a href="http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Ai4/">This one</a> does AES/EBU to ADAT.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah and it also costs $400!!

Beginning to think that there isnt really a product out there in my budget with what I need so might have to go the Digi 002r route (for the extra channels), use outboard pres and ADCs and run a stereo backup taking a feed from the 2 main channels of the outboard ADCs. Was hoping to have a self contained multitrack but this setup should be ok. Unless anyone out there has a better plan, would love to hear it before I take the plunge!

Thanks for your input

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search