The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mobile Setup, To apogee or not to apogee?
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Nut

Mobile Setup, To apogee or not to apogee?

Right now I have:
G4 1 Ghz Pwrbook w/ 756MB ram
002r
Big Ben
1 Neve 1073
2 BAE 1084
1 BAE 1272
1 Lil' Freq
1 UA 2-610
1 Dangerous 2 bus

I am in the process of having a mixroom designed and built. I like to do remote recording so I obviously plan to record on location as I am not probably going to be able to track here, maybe vocals. I want to get some better conversion as I am not really feeling the 002r, I also have a TDM w/ 882 and a Quicksilver Dual 800 that I'm probably gonna trade in.

So let me see if I got this right. You can use a Rosetta 800 as your converter and lightpipe it 48k to your 002 and of course you don't need the apogee firewire card, correct? I ask this because I wanna make an investment in a converter that I'm gonna be able to use when I upgrade to HD this month before their upgrade expires (I gotta that ol' TDM to trade in)...but I gotta wait a few months cause I'm gonna go a lil' more hi end mobile. My list goes as so:

1 Macbook Pro Dual Core 2.0
1 Magma Chassis (this is where my delay is, they gotta redo for the new cardbus)
Protools HD 1 Accel

The question is should I buy a Rosetta 800 and then purchase a AD16 later or should I wait and buy 2 Mytek 8X196's? And I do know that a Big Ben w/ an AD16 is overkill but right now I feel it makes the 002 sound mucho betta .

I will be recording mostly rock and jazz on location and mixing everything from the rock and jazz to producing electronic and hip hop, r&b in the mixroom. I am in the ATL for crying out loud and I gotta pay for the equipment somehow. Right!!

If anyone has any ideas please feel free to make suggestions. This is GS so I shouldn't expect anything less .

I apologize for the long post but I've seen people get beat down around here for not elaborating on setup and what they're gonna be doing with it .
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Guru

Metric Halo would be my suggestion. I have a 2882+dsp and a ULN-2. I also use a motu 2408mkII to get 8 additional channels in via adat. I haul my Millennias out for pres. It's an awesome set up. Completely pro.
Old 17th May 2006
bhp
Gear Nut

Skip the laptop and get a G5 tower, more power, no expansion chassis.
I imagine it will be a while for the Intel chips with high end apps to be stable and bug free. PT 7.2 with Intel compatibility is late summer at best.

I have a AD 16x and a Rosetta 800 with HD cards for my portable rig.
24 in, 8 out. Great system. You would not need the Big Ben for this setup as the 16x has the clock. I never recommend selling good gear, but if money is tight, sell the Big Ben.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search