The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DPA 4021 - Any Experience?
Old 12th May 2006
Talking DPA 4021 - Any Experience?

Is the cardioid DPA 4021 good for recording upright bass in small jazz ensembles? I imagine the boominess can be rolled off, and the cardioid pattern will help against bleed more than the omni. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

I havent used the 4021, but the 4060 sounds absolutely phenomenal on upright..

lot cheaper too..
Old 12th May 2006
Thanks T,

I've heard that the 4060 works well on bass, but because the DPA is a tiny mic that can be suspended from the strings behind the bridge, it should have considerably less bleed from other instruments like drums and piano. It'll also move with the bassist, for consistency.
Old 13th May 2006
Oh, I see, the DPA 4060, not the AT4060!! Sorry. Don't you get a lot of bleed using an omni in the same room with the other instruments?
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

The 4021 sounds great on bass, cello, tuba, and piano. It moves well with the player and has several clip options that work nicely. Make sure you get the full shockmount for the element. The proximity CAN be rolled off if you find it too prominent- Sometimes, however, it can be just what you like! I have used this mic for classical music, theatrical orchestra, and jazz with good results.

Personally I would not go with the 4060 as my first choice though I do love it as a clip-on lav on violin.

I think if you have a good player with a good instrument, you'll enjoy the 4021 as it sounds super accurate.

Hope this helps!

Jim
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

I never had a problem with Bleed. I used DPAs suggestion of the 4060, and was very happy with it. I dont care for cardiods(generally) on close micd bass, ymmv..
I only do classical music, so my experience is limited to classical applications.

I used 4060s on Bass, Cello, Violin, Classical Guitar, and many other things.
Old 13th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim vanBergen
...Make sure you get the full shockmount for the element. ...
Hope this helps!

Jim
This does help. By "full shockmount" do you mean the VH4000 kit for mounting on stringed instruments?

Do you use the 4021 in combination with another mic? I've read that's the way it was intended to be used.

Many thanks to both of you for this help.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Where are my manners?

Sorry for the delay in reply.

I prefer the CSM4000 for a 4021 on a short stand with boom extended to the instrument as opposed to a clip-on if I can swing it. The VH4k I have used on Celli, Viola and Violin but have never actually tried to get it to FIT on a bass bridge, though I'm sure there is a way.

When I've used the 4021, I've not needed a second mic. If the bass player has a pickup, however, I would track that separately. If short of tracks, I'd go mic only unless the DI smokes the mic sound- which has never happened, but you never know.

Does that hep?
Old 18th May 2006
Yes, thank you very much. I'll try mounting it on the bass for my first try because I'm worried this guy moves around a lot. But yeah, I'm going to get that mic ASAP.
Old 1st June 2008
2-YR Follow Up

I've been using the DPA 4021 with the VH4000 Vln/Bass mount every once in a while for a little over two years now, so I thought I should report on my impressions of it.

It's a great little mic for jazz upright bass when there's no isolation. It sounds very clear and big. With its cardioid pattern, it can be boomy. The VH4000 mount does not extend all the way to the f-hole on the bass, which is frustrating. I'll look into making an extension.

Otherwise, I'm quite satisfied with having this mic in our collection for special occasions.
Old 1st June 2008
Lives for gear

Ross, thanks for sharing. I'm glad you like it!

JvB
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

sorry to disturb the peace of the grave...

...but i got a chance to 'compare' a 4021 with a schoeps mk4/cmc5 today: no comparison actually - i thought the 4021 was damaged before i monitored the signal via pfl/fft. it wasn't damaged but had way lower output and needed tons of eq compared to the schoeps.

kinda strange: i remember the 4011 to be quite a bit better than what i experienced from the 4021 today - after all, they share the same capsule design?!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
it wasn't damaged but had way lower output
My 4021s (3521 stereo kit) are at 10.8 and 10.9 mV/Pa, less than 3 dB below Schoeps MK4 15 mV/Pa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
and needed tons of eq compared to the schoeps.
That's weird. Not my experience at all.

Piano tests:

Schoeps MK 21 (track 1), Neumann KM 143 (track 2), DPA 4021 (track 3), Neumann KM 184 (track 4)

Line Audio CM3, Josephson C42, Schoeps MK 21, DPA 4021

DPA 4060 vs. DPA 4021
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

yep, kinda strange...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search