The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Interest in Miktek
Old 24th February 2012
Interest in Miktek

I was curious as to how many of you classical guys have tried any of Miktek's offerings, especially the C5 pencil. There seems to be a serious lack of discussion on this forum about anything Miktek.

At NAMM I talked to Michael from Miktek and he confirmed they have completed development on an omni capsule for the C5, and it will soon be ready for shipping. Does that spark anyone's interest?
Old 27th February 2012
About what I thought......
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Well, the only Miktek product I have is the CV4, and I love it. I would be very interested in a pair of omni Miktek SDC's - if I could afford them! With the long, slow economy we've been in, I suppose others are in the same boat. I do like the "Miktek sound" anyway.
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

the miktek C5 is a rebadged Rode NT5. i do not know what miktek does to the internals to improve quality. the omni capsule will surely be based on the current rode omni capsule for the NT5, which has had some nice reviews.

however, the pricing for the miktek C5 places them about on par with the neumann km184 - extremely stiff competition which they will be hard-pressed to match in in terms of build quality, sonic quality, name recognition, and resale value.
Old 27th February 2012
Gear Maniac

Maybe it is of interest, that Roger from line audio sweden will be ready soon with his OM1, the omni sdc.
After being very pleased with his cardioid CM-3 (around 100€ per piece)I am quite curious about this new microphone. We recently did a shootout CM-3 against Schoeps CMBI/MK4 and the difference wasn't that big. After that test I have a good feeling now to use the CM-3 even mixed with some schoeps.
Old 27th February 2012
Quote:
the miktek C5 is a rebadged Rode NT5. i do not know what miktek does to the internals to improve quality. the omni capsule will surely be based on the current rode omni capsule for the NT5, which has had some nice reviews.
Really? That is surprising to me, what is your source on this one?
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

all i know is the C5 uses the same body as the NT5. like i said, i dont know what miktek does inside.
Old 27th February 2012
Quote:
all i know is the C5 uses the same body as the NT5. like i said, i dont know what miktek does inside.
The NT5 bodies are made in Australia according to Rode. The C5 bodies are made in China and the rest of the components are American or German according to Miktek, including the capsules and transformers. Not to flat out contradict what you said, but I haven't seen any official statement on any parts being outsourced from Rode.

Not that that would be bad, Rode has the highest build quality and QC in the industry. Assuming it is just the casing and not the internals.
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
the miktek C5 is a rebadged Rode NT5.
This would surprise me if it were true.
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

edva, daniel - i probably shouldnt have used the word "rebadged". the first time i took a look at the C5, it just looked like another mic built around the rode nt5 body and configuration, much like the similarity of avantone ck1 and karma k10, or the "(many recent) small diaphragm tube condensers on the market. Many of the middle-to-low end models all appear to be connected in some way to the Chinese made ShuaiYin SYT-28. The Groove Tubes GT-44, Charter Oak M900T, Sterling ST-44, Avantone CV-28, Peluso P-28 (least similar of the bunch), Busman BST54, et-cetera all bear striking similarities in body style and specs to the SYT-28." (lifted from a previous GS thread)

i just think any new company who wishes to approach the professional microphone market should go that extra step and mill their own bodies and provide that distinction for their products. i dont want a mic that looks like another aftermarket product. i dont want a mic that is "designed around the schoeps circuitry" or looks just like a DPA or whatever.
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
edva, daniel - i probably shouldnt have used the word "rebadged". the first time i took a look at the C5, it just looked like another mic built around the rode nt5 body and configuration, much like the similarity of avantone ck1 and karma k10, or the "(many recent) small diaphragm tube condensers on the market. Many of the middle-to-low end models all appear to be connected in some way to the Chinese made ShuaiYin SYT-28. The Groove Tubes GT-44, Charter Oak M900T, Sterling ST-44, Avantone CV-28, Peluso P-28 (least similar of the bunch), Busman BST54, et-cetera all bear striking similarities in body style and specs to the SYT-28." (lifted from a previous GS thread)

i just think any new company who wishes to approach the professional microphone market should go that extra step and mill their own bodies and provide that distinction for their products. i dont want a mic that looks like another aftermarket product. i dont want a mic that is "designed around the schoeps circuitry" or looks just like a DPA or whatever.
Well, my guess would be it's economics, and they prefer to put the value on the cumulative sound of the entire mic, and some money in their pockets if possible. If it matters, I like the Miktek sound, what I know of it anyway; and although I like finely-crafted beauties myself, if given the choice I'll take a great sounding "plain jane" over a dolled up but lesser sounding mic any day.
My 2c, YMMV.
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

I've not used the C5, but the C7 and the Cv4 are outstanding mics. I rent them regularly. One of these days I'll buy a CV4.
Old 28th February 2012
Quote:
I understand. I don't know what they put inside the mic other than the custom transformer. I does not appear to be a simply copy of Schoeps circuitry like the majority of low cost pencils, NT5 included. But the body probably does come from the same factories as numerous other microphones. Unfortunately, unless the company makes a significant investment in their own milling machines, China is the only affordable option.

It is a viable complaint considering how much the body can affect the performance of the mic. The higher end makers like Neumann, Sennheiser, and Schoeps certainly put a lot of time designing away the flaws in the body, which I am sure Miktek is not able to do at this point. I would like to see that change myself.
Old 3rd December 2014
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
Well, my guess would be it's economics, and they prefer to put the value on the cumulative sound of the entire mic, and some money in their pockets if possible. If it matters, I like the Miktek sound, what I know of it anyway; and although I like finely-crafted beauties myself, if given the choice I'll take a great sounding "plain jane" over a dolled up but lesser sounding mic any day.
My 2c, YMMV.
I sold a pair of KM184s to buy the C5s. To my ears this was an upgrade.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

It seems like some in this thread are more worried about what the body looks like than how it sounds. I 've gone through many sdc's, both inexpensive and fairly expensive and the c5's are my favorite so far.
L.
Old 3rd December 2014
Here for the gear

Trying to have a C5 this year...but it seems i can't manage it as it's less than a month...
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Old thread. Still enjoying my CV4.
Old 14th May 2019
Lives for gear

Finally found a thread on Miktek C5 in this forum - why such silence about those mics and so much about others? Anyone tried them and compared them to CM3s, Rode NT5, Schoeps, etc.? Do they have less self noise than CM3/OM-1?
Old 18th May 2019
The team here has a pair of Miktek C5s, added to the mic-locker mid-2018.

Thus far, the C5s have been used as utility mics: brass section spots, wind section spots, individual instrument spots. We haven't taken the time to do a critical evaluation or put them through the ringer as main pair, but in terms of keeping up in a professional setting, they fit right in. (Except the badge fell off the mic right away...)
Attached Thumbnails
Interest in Miktek-miktekc5-1.jpg   Interest in Miktek-miktekc5-2.jpg   Interest in Miktek-miktekc5-3.jpg  
Old 18th May 2019
Gear Maniac

I got one looking for a neutral sound for acoustic guitar and mandolin. I liked it for a good while, but recently finally stepped up to a KM84. While it is a step up, it is 3 times more.
Old 18th May 2019
Lives for gear

You did pick a pretty famous mic to step up to after all.

D.
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Maniac

@ The Listener -- The Miktek C5 has been on my shopping list for several months now for one particular reason. A friend of mine who does a ton of soundtrack music (he's scored entire series for SciFi, Showtime, and I don't know how many more) uses the C5 for literally everything. Acoustic guitar, vocals, woodwinds, percussion, everything. He told me that one day he just felt like "I should probably own a small-diaphragm condenser" so he bought a C5 off of someone's recommendation. He liked it so much that he just stopped using... all his other mics. He just leaves his C5 set up and it's the only thing he used.

He's the kind of guy who's constantly under deadlines. He's stressing out because some music supervisor in LA needs six complex edits by 7pm or whatever. So he has to do things quickly and well, and the C5 always just works. His tracks sound uniformly fantastic, too, and with a huge stylistic range.

I take this dude's recommendation extremely seriously. The C5 is very high up on the shopping list. :-) This is just one more anecdotal plug for a mic, but the consensus seems to be that it's a killer piece of gear for the money.
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petimar View Post
I got one looking for a neutral sound for acoustic guitar and mandolin. I liked it for a good while, but recently finally stepped up to a KM84. While it is a step up, it is 3 times more.
Coincidentally the C5 happens to be approx 3x the price of the Rode NT5 (I believe the C5 includes an Omni capsule in the selling price, which Rode does with the NT55, but not the NT5). Anyone care to make price vs quality observations re NT5 vs C5 vs KM84 ?

What I'd like to know is what happened to Miktek's R99 passive/active ribbon mic....on paper it sounded intriguing to say the least, and its imminent release was flagged by company boss Michael at the AES 2012 fair, but it's absent on their current product list...so this is all we got:

The AES 2012 announcement: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UpnYPa...ature=youtu.be

The lowdown: http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Miktek/R99

"it's active Jim.....but not as we know it"

Last edited by studer58; 19th May 2019 at 05:39 AM..
Old 19th May 2019
Lightbulb

I've used KM84s as mains and spots. As mains, there are better modern options (not necessarily NT5s), and as spots, there are cheaper modern options that do just as well.

In a nutshell, the C5s are still here. The 84 is not.

Progger -- Thanks for your comments. Love gear that just lets you get-to-work without fussing!

Last edited by NorseHorse; 19th May 2019 at 05:58 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
This is an old thread, I know, but it has been active in 2019 and I do not see a lot of other commentary regarding the Miktek C5, so I will add my two ¢ right here. : )

In the past six months I picked up a used C5 and tried it out on a few things and was really impressed. I bought a second C5 and am STILL really impressed. So much that I might actually buy two more. I have used them on acoustic instruments, as a room/ wide mic on guitar amp, recorded some foley sounds with one and gave it a shot on snare drum which it did really well on!

For folks reading this thread in search on Miktek C5 information, please note it in no way sounds like a Rode NT5, which I have also owned. The Miktek C5 uses a TRANSFORMER in the mic's output section. There are not many small diaphragm condenser microphones using an output transformer in production these days. A mic that did was the Neumann KM84, which the Miktek C5 has been compared to by some folks, so that is interesting. (I am NOT one of those people as I do NOT own the KM84 and can not make that comparison).

The Miktek C5 is a really useful microphone. If you can find them on the used market in good shape like I did, they are well worth the purchase with the mic landing at around $500 used. With the omni capsule, it is even more useful.

I should also add the folks at Miktek (based in Nashville, TN!) told me while they do not have specific, immediate plans for another capsule(s) for the C5, it is something they are considering, so I have hopes thismic body will evolve into an even more useful system over time.

Oh yes, and it is my understanding Miktek microphones are indeed machined bodies from China and the parts are sourced from all over the place, but the microphones are assembled/ built in Nashville. Each microphone ships with a frequency plot specific to itself--so Miketk are also doing testing on each microphone after building them, which I think it really cool and that is information I find useful.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffer Fish View Post
... In the past six months I picked up a used C5 and tried it out on a few things and was really impressed. I bought a second C5 and am STILL really impressed. So much that I might actually buy two more. I have used them on acoustic instruments, as a room/ wide mic on guitar amp, recorded some foley sounds with one and gave it a shot on snare drum which it did really well on!

For folks reading this thread in search on Miktek C5 information, please note it in no way sounds like a Rode NT5, which I have also owned. The Miktek C5 uses a TRANSFORMER in the mic's output section. There are not many small diaphragm condenser microphones using an output transformer in production these days. A mic that did was the Neumann KM84, which the Miktek C5 has been compared to by some folks, so that is interesting. (I am NOT one of those people as I do NOT own the KM84 and can not make that comparison).

The Miktek C5 is a really useful microphone. If you can find them on the used market in good shape like I did, they are well worth the purchase with the mic landing at around $500 used. With the omni capsule, it is even more useful.
Puffer... Good info! it would be interesting to see/hear a side-by-side with not only C5 and Km84 pairs, but with the Warm WA-84 as well.

While I've not deployed them on my own, I've worked with classic KM84s as instrument mics, and was well and truly pleased with them in that role...

HB
Old 1 week ago
...follow-up on the C5.

I was in a mic auditioning/ testing mood, so ran my C5 with the cardioid capsule in a series of tests along side one of my Gefell M300, one of the Line Audio CM3 mics and one of the Gefell M310 I own. The tests broke my C5 joy a bit.

The C5 when compared with those other three mics sounds waaaaaayyyyyy too hyped in the high frequency area, the sound it captures it sounds less detailed, and it does not have the same resonance and extended low frequency detail as the others. However, it does sound more alive than the CM3, but to come across as natural sounding, it requires substantial cutting in the high frequencies and some boosting in the low frequencies, but it never achieves the correct detail via an EQ adjustment.

HOWEVER, I think the C5 warrants use in a choral setting (or some other similar mic to performer set up) as the high frequency boost it delivers would be useful for distance mic'ing and its reduced low frequency reproduction (when compared to the other three mics in my testing) would also probably be useful for live group vocal reproduction as no one needs extended low frequency capture below 100 Hz for that sort of thing. : )

I was thinking about acquiring more C5 mics, but now am leaning toward keeping an eye out for some used M300 mics to compliment the pair I already have. : 0 Or if I were smart, I would simply live with what I have LOL!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

@ Puffer Fish that's helpful insight, thank you! Months after first posting to this thread I still haven't picked a C5 up yet, but I've also been very curious about Gefells in general and the M300 in particular. It sounds like it was your favorite out of the three you compared, would you say that's true?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger View Post
@ Puffer Fish that's helpful insight, thank you! Months after first posting to this thread I still haven't picked a C5 up yet, but I've also been very curious about Gefells in general and the M300 in particular. It sounds like it was your favorite out of the three you compared, would you say that's true?
I actually compared four mics (Gefell M310 (hyper-cardioid), Miktek C5 (cardioid capsule), Gefell M300 and Line Audio CM3.

Overall, yes, the M300 won most of the time. And it did so while sounding sweeter than the rest, with better articulation and captured nuances that the other mics did not... with the notable exception being the M310, which is the same capsule as the M300, but with a different polar pattern and a slightly different frequency response--not surprising, the M310 could sound quite similar to the M300 with minimal EQ adjustments.

I think I mentioned or implied this, btu after my testing, I am left feeling like I do not need the Miktek C5 pair I own, and world rather have two more M300 instead. : )

It is also worth mentioning that after the testing, I was reminded what good value the Line Audio CM3 was. Now Line Audio is producing the CM4 and the new version of the mic has a slightly tighter cardioid pattern from what I saw of the specifications for the CM4---the CM3 is a wide cardioid pattern mic. If you are not familiar with the Line Audio CM3, CM4 and the omni OM1, check them out. A pair of any of those mics will cost you somewhere around $400 US dollars, if I am remembering correctly, which is simply really affordable. Compare that to the Gefell M300 pair I picked up for around $1700. LOL!

I am not implying the CM3 and the Gefell M300 are interchangeable, because they are not, but the CM3 fared very well in my listening tests.

I hope my additional comments are helpful.

I should also add that tomorrow I plan to do some recording and listening with a bunch of different omni mics, including the Miktek C5 with its omni capsule and learn what I am working with a little further. I will also place a DPA 4061 (legacy, not the newest version) and a DPA 6061 (just arrived!!!) and will probably place my KSM44 in omni for good measure. : ) If I learn anything new worth mentioning, I will post another comment on this thread regarding the C5 with the omni capsule.
Old 1 week ago
Additional thoughts on Miktek C5 OMNI capsule... I did some more listening this afternoon. I compared the Miktek C5 OMNI capsule with a Shure KSM44 in OMNI, a DPA 4061 and a DPA 6061. I know, the capsule size and general applications are sort of all over the place, but I was listening to learn more about the mics I have. Anyway, there were places where the Miktek sounded ok, but it was never the best and there were times it was not enjoyable to listen to.

I do think the Miktek C5 omni capsule was generally better suited for the things I am interested in putting a microphone in front of in comparison to the C5 cardioid capsule. At least that is how I feel about it this evening.

Ultimately.... do I think the Miktek C5 is a bad microphone? No, it is not BAD. But I simply have better options already on hand, so it was not the best move for me to have acquired a pair of the C5. Lesson learned. : ( I will be selling the pair and put what $$$ I get out of them into something else.

I should add when I compared the C5 to my Gefell M300 and M310 mics, they are at different price points.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search