The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AB with figure 8 - good results when doing live recordings?
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

AB with figure 8 - good results when doing live recordings?

Hi,

This thread is mainly intended to discuss the use of AB figure 8 setups.

I have an upcoming concert in a medium size (ca. 15m x15m x 40m) church with tons of reverb. I have some expirience with this church and the orchestra. They want to sit 10mx10m.

It is going to be a conservatory orchestra performance with Schuman 4th and Saint Sans cello concerto.

I was thinking about placing a wide AB (80cm-1m) figure 8 pair roughly 4m away from the conductor 4m high (unfortunately in the audience) in order to catch not too much room and less audience compared to a cardioid. There will also be a large tree setup (3m spread and 3m high, center 1m in front) and spots for the woods, brass, solo cello and timpani.

What do you think?

Best

Leif

Last edited by leifislive; 11th May 2006 at 07:15 PM..
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

I dont know about AB, but I have had great success with Bafffled 8s!

all the great things from Jecklin Disc, with a deeper soundstage....incredible!! Ina good room, anyway.
Old 11th May 2006
This is sometimes called the "Faulkner technique", after Tony Faulkner, who popularized it. But I read an interview with him in which he stated that he'd switched mostly to spaced cardioids. You might want to keep that in mind as another option, if spaced figure-eights don't do what you want in the hall.

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

If I'm not mistaken, the Faulkner phased array is only 20cm apart.

IMO putting them at 80cm will create very funny ping pong stereo, and a more ambient result than two cardioids.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Hi, thanks for your answers so far. I plan to use not as the main mic, but rather mix it with the tree to roughly equal level. Therefore I chose the rather spaced configuration.

I may just try and set up both a cardioid and an 8 or a coincident omni and figure 8 in order to mix any characteristic possible.

What about that?

Best

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search