The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DAV BG1 vs. Grace 201
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Maniac

DAV BG1 vs. Grace 201

This will probably get moved somewhere. I'm a singer-songwriter with a heavy roots/country influence. I have an AEA R84, which I love and a couple of Grace 101's (with ribbon gain levels) which I also like a lot. I was wondering if anyone could compare the sound of the Grace 101 to the DAV. Particularly, for the style of music I'm into. (I've already decided to buy a tube preamp, but would like also to have the best solid state preamp for my style of music). Thanks.
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

The DAV has a more pleasing, euphonic sound than the Grace, with all the clarity and more.I owned the Grace v2, and used the v3 quite a bit. The grace highs tend to sound strident/thin to my ears. Grace products sound like a cheaper millennia, IMHO.(which I like less than the DAV too)

Teddy

(the remote folks can probably fill you in more, since these two pres are used a lot for that task)
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Thanks Teddy. That's kinda what I suspected.
Old 9th May 2006
Super Moderator

Teddy have you ever A/B'd the Grace and DAV?
If so, which instruments did you use to test the preamps?
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness
Teddy have you ever A/B'd the Grace and DAV?
If so, which instruments did you use to test the preamps?
Yessir, I used them on voice, flute, piano, guitar, pedal steel, and cello/violin. This was done at the Studio on Base. (where they do AFN spots)
the mics in each case were Schoeps MK2(not 2s)
conversion was all lavry.
Millennia HV-3C and Lake People were in the Mix too, along with pres id never heard of. (studio was looking for new gear)The test was not for me , but I asked to hear those 3 preamps beside each other.
For that sort of quality, the Millennias are a notch above the grace. (precision, clinical sound). IMHO of course.

One of the reasons why I sold my grace was that test.

Of course ive learned one important lesson , in that everyone hears things so differently...
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Head

I bought the Grace 101 some 3years back. Decided to return it one hour later.
using my ATecknica 4054 live hand held. It hardly made a diffrenence compared to my MACKIE 1202. Grace is ok for recording But, woun't make such a diffrenence in a live sound application. I use the Avalon M5 with the 4054. an wow. A huge open clear sound diffrenerce that made. Check out the Rane ms for good cheep pre.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search