The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TASCAM HD-P2 or FOSTEX FR-2.
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Talking TASCAM HD-P2 or FOSTEX FR-2.

I am thinking about buying either a TASCAM HD-P2 or a FOSTEX FR-2.

The Tascam seems to be a bit more cheaper that Fostex compared to what they can do for me, although the SOUND (quality of preamps, AD´s, etc.. ) is for me the most important argument, because I will mainly record concerts. Unfortunately I can´t see that from the specification.

Anyone with a recommendation ?
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Yes, call oade bros up

www.oade.com

tell them what you are after. He will make a reccomendation..(sonics-wise) Oade is a modification genius and has several flavors of mod for those two pieces. He can make them more punchy, more clear ,more present, whatever you want. The only catch is that you have to buy the unit from him. *his prices are great) He is a legend in the concert recording community since the days of the Grateful dead when he was modding his PCM-F1. He even does custom mods based on what sound you are after...brilliant guy!

His name is Doug. Tell him Teddy sent you.

TEddy
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Guru

See! Told you. You have to post to the right forum! Remote Possibilities is small but mighty!
Old 7th May 2006
Super Moderator

I second the oade brothers suggestion.

But, you need to buy the unit from them. From what I understand, they will not modify HDP2s purchased from other vendors.
Old 7th May 2006
Super Moderator

Oh, one more thing...

Here a thread called Tascam HD-P2 for your review. There is some good information to be had!
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

I briefly checked out the HD-P2 recently,

felt Super Cheap Build Quality, Light Plastic, and read 'Made in China' on the back...

...which doesn't necessarily mean it's bad, but it still felt really cheap.
Old 7th May 2006
Super Moderator

You must be very careful on location with that puppy. It needs the "kid glove" treatment but, may prove to be a wonderful economically priced recorder.
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Yep, they do mods for the FR-2 and HD-P2.
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.RayBullard
Yep, they do mods for the FR-2 and HD-P2.
Why do I need a modification ?
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

you dont *have* to have a modification, but the mods greatly improve the stock sonics....without a doubt.
The modded boxes and the stock ones arent even on the same planet , quality wise.

Teddy
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Maniac

HD-P2

FWIW, I've been taping my concerts over the last couple weeks with an unmodified HD-P2 (Did try to get hold of Oade for 2 days, and couldn't get through on the phone, so I had to buy it elsewhere. Was on a tight time schedule).
Yes, it's light plastic, but I got the case, and I feel like it's nicely protected. Works like a charm, easy to navigate. I like the firewire transfer.
The interface is decent and usable. Could be a little better laid out, but it's not worth complaining about.
Rock solid performance, good audio, very flexible. I'm quite happy with my purchase.
Some early CF recorders seemed much kludgier. This feels to me like a mature product.

Good luck, however you go. You probably can't go wrong with either choice.
-g
Old 15th May 2006
Here for the gear

i can comment a bit on the fr-2 in comparison to the flashier and more expensive sound devices 722, for what that's worth.

fr-2's build quality and interface are a bit lacking- it's large, it is all plastic, there's no internal hard drive, so you'll need to spend some more money on a big cf card, no m-s decoding, the buttons are all different and are all over the box instead of all being in one place and the battery situation leaves a lot to be desired- aa's or a big external 12 volt.

but it sounds great- its preamps and limiter although slightly noisy have some serious balls. if you're recording loud and you need to use a digital recorder, you could do a lot worse than the fr-2.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeckitup
This feels to me like a mature product.

-g
and the audio quality is ok as well - also without modificationS ?

Which mics are you using for recording a concert with the Tascam ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search