Question Kms 105

For live acoustic band vocal.

Is the Neumann KMS 105 woth the extra $ or should I get another Beta 58
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

I prefer the KMS105 over the Beta 58.
Old 6th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I assume this is for stage use? If so, in my experience, most vocalists sound better on the KMS105, but you should try it out before you buy it to make sure it sounds better on your voice.
Old 6th May 2006
Gear Guru

i had one last week ... purchased to try it out ... it had a nasty popping on certain female voices ... i mean B's and P's when i say popping ... it does have 3 layers of pop protection but i could make it pop to easily for my taste ... darker than a 58 ... maybe the KMS150 would be better but it was more than twice the cash ... btw the 150 is the one that norah jones and sarah maclaclan use .... 105 is stated to be like a km184 with a basket ...

but please try it for yourself ... only way to know ... above is just one mans opinion ...

peace john
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by snedley
For live acoustic band vocal.

Is the Neumann KMS 105 woth the extra $ or should I get another Beta 58
I bought a pair of KMS 105 and tried in a live acoustic band. Did not suit me at all. Tended to pick up too much stage wash, and can't crowd it for proximity without harshness. I own and like other Neumanns for studio use, and the 105 has a nice airy sound for some things (female singers), but not enough power for what I wanted live.

It seemed to me they might be more suited to use with IEM, and could be better like that, but I use wedges or just reference from mains.

I've also owned Beta 58/57, they are decent. But I stayed with Beta 87A and have been very happy with those. Very powerful, clear mic, good feedback rejection.

Steve
Old 6th May 2006
Gear Guru
Vocal Mics

I record and mix a 'live' music TV show in a little church. Monitor and drum spill are horrendous. My saviour has been the Beta 57A with popshield. It has worked extremely well for a huge variety of acts, from Steve Earle to Rufus Wainright. You can see and hear it in action at www.rte.ie/othervoices
On that same show you can hear Emiliana Torrini singing into a KMS and Eddie Reader singing into a B87.
I have used the B57A in many other situations also. IMHO it often yields a better result than more exotic and expensive choices. A proper popshield is essential for various reasons, particularly to control proximity.
Best Regards, DD

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search