Superlux s502
Old 11th February 2018
Lives for gear

thanks!
Old 12th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
i will! i'm using mostly the schoeps and a pair of km184d (as a spare, goin' into a different recorder), yet i could swap those for the soundeluxe on some work in the near future where things ain't that critical.
That would be great...thank you ! The usual caveats apply in mic comparisons (and if you have a mic splitter handy, some of these will automatically disappear)...ie level matching between mic pairs, ideally have them placed as close as possible to each other, without causing shadowing of pickup ...and of course simultaneously recording the same event/concert.

These are ideals...if you can aim for and achieve them, the comparisons between the mics become much more useful and reliable ...oh, and a nice acoustic ambience at the location (similar to what lyrictenor 1 obtained) helps much also !
Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear

maybe it's been mentioned before:

there is (at least) one comparison between the schoeps and the soundlux on youtube, just type in MSTC64 Vs S502.

what do you think?
Old 31st March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heva View Post
Things is, the hissy/noisy/sshhh sound went up to 0dB on some spots (not in the posted sample though). It must have been the electronics, since I've connected it too my trusty old Beyer MV100 and that gave the same noise in Left channel (mv100 and fr2le ran on AC adaptors).
But after 3 days it was ok, and the mic operates fine since; I've recorded a male choir (gregorian chant) with it (with backup mics; lesson learned!) and that was 100% OK.

There was no vent in the church, it's a tiny gothic building with exactly 4 power outlets for 220V and 6 lightswitches ...
I had the same issue and returned the mic. There was a kind of random low level static noise on the right channel. Pity as the form factor is easier than my NT4.
Old 31st March 2018
Lives for gear

With Thomann being the only reseller to my knowledge it's so easy to order three, check them and return two.
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

I have an older S502 now modified and compared to a newly oredred one:

See here

Two Superlux S502 ORTF Stereo Mics Compared
Old 8th July 2018
Lives for gear
unmodified S502 with a choir plus soloists, in a stone-walled wooden-ceiling church.

The mic is supplemented by a 45cm AB pair of Rode NT5-O's, for some lower bass extension on the organ...these are on the same bar as the 502. No added reverb or other processing. This mic fights well above its weight.....
Attached Files
Old 8th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
unmodified S502 with a choir plus soloists, in a stone-walled wooden-ceiling church.

The mic is supplemented by a 45cm AB pair of Rode NT5-O's, for some lower bass extension on the organ...these are on the same bar as the 502. No added reverb or other processing. This mic fights well above its weight.....
Very respectable recording with substantial bass fundament... Thanks
Old 8th July 2018
Gear Head

Here's another sample I thought I'd add, since I'm working on this right now. For purposes of this thread, I bounced this with just the s502; no reverb or EQ. Signal chain was s502->x32->Cymatic x32. 44/24 dithered to 44/16.

wav: Dropbox - berceuse sample.wav
Attached Files

berceuse sample.mp3 (3.71 MB, 1876 views)

Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrictenor1 View Post
Here's another sample I thought I'd add, since I'm working on this right now. For purposes of this thread, I bounced this with just the s502; no reverb or EQ. Signal chain was s502->x32->Cymatic x32. 44/24 dithered to 44/16.

wav: Dropbox - berceuse sample.wav
A nice sample of playing and rendering of the room/hall acoustic...how large was the performance space ?
Old 9th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
A nice sample of playing and rendering of the room/hall acoustic...how large was the performance space ?
Thanks, Studer58! This picture was taken before the organ was installed; it now resides in the wall in the right-side background of the picture. Unfortunately, I did not take a picture during the actual session.
Attached Thumbnails
Superlux s502-.facebook_1531120633317.jpg  
Old 12th November 2019
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest View Post
Here a comparative test. It is not blind since there is a pic of the microphones.heh
What is 2? Oktavas mk-012?
Old 12th November 2019
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's the 502 as a vocal duet mic, with MKH8020 pair as piano tail spot...although a lot of piano came into the vocal mic also
In the samples I have downloaded from the Internetz the lack of the depth is what strikes me in the Senns 8000 series.
PS @ studer58 due to your samples I have bought a Mackie VLZ3. There were no VLZ2, just VLZ, then VLZ Pro, then VLZ3, then Onyx
Old 12th November 2019
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojaros View Post
I have an older S502 now modified and compared to a newly oredred one:

See here

Two Superlux S502 ORTF Stereo Mics Compared
Hola, amigo!
i am sorry, but the unmodified s502 sounds more 3d than the modified one to me. It even beat the original MSTC 64U for me in the tests here. More space, more depth.
Muchas gracias for the test!
Old 12th November 2019
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
maybe it's been mentioned before:

there is (at least) one comparison between the schoeps and the soundlux on youtube, just type in MSTC64 Vs S502.

what do you think?
s502 smoked the Schoeps on choir.
Old 12th November 2019
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds pretty good, at least the uncompressed Dropbox file. Nice rendering of the surrounding acoustic too.

I often wonder how much better, more detailed or nuanced or less grainy the Schoeps equivalent could sound on the same source....anyone who owns both mics willing to make such a comparison test, ideally on a source like this one ?
There was a choir test done already on choir here on UTube, and s502 smoked the Schoeps 64U for me.
Old 13th November 2019
Lives for gear
S502 was main stereo pair mic in this recording: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rsr3bI...ature=youtu.be
Old 13th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
What is 2? Oktavas mk-012?
I send you the answer by PM.

Edit: The key is here.

Last edited by didier.brest; 2 weeks ago at 04:06 AM..
Old 20th November 2019
Here for the gear
Forgive the newb question, but the frequency response chart for the S502 stops at 50 Hz on the low end. What assumptions can I make about frequencies below 50 Hz (i.e., the bottom octave of my piano)? Or can I make any assumptions at all? Looking at the diminishing trend from 0 dB (at ~125 Hz) to ~ -4 dB (at 50 Hz) it looks the frequency response at 20 Hz might be as low as -10 dB.

Do I need to worry about the quality of bass in recording with the S502? Will overtones "fill in" enough to provide a satisfying experience of that lowest octave?

Thanks!

Source of frequency chart: Superlux S502 Specifications
Old 20th November 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWilliford View Post
Forgive the newb question, but the frequency response chart for the S502 stops at 50 Hz on the low end. What assumptions can I make about frequencies below 50 Hz (i.e., the bottom octave of my piano)? Or can I make any assumptions at all? Looking at the diminishing trend from 0 dB (at ~125 Hz) to ~ -4 dB (at 50 Hz) it looks the frequency response at 20 Hz might be as low as -10 dB.

Do I need to worry about the quality of bass in recording with the S502? Will overtones "fill in" enough to provide a satisfying experience of that lowest octave?

Thanks!

Source of frequency chart: Superlux S502 Specifications
It's worth noting that the Schoeps stereo mic on which the Superlux is based also incorporates a LF roll off by design: Low cut filter (30 Hz, 6 dB/oct)...taken directly from Schoeps specs table

In the 'Graphics' sub-heading following, you can see a similar frequency plot for the Schoeps stereo mic: https://www.studio-general.hu/en/cat...sg-20#graphics

Perhaps of equal interest is the lack of HF bump in the 5-15kHz region visible in the Superlux plot...
Old 2 weeks ago
Superlux S502MKII

I just noticed this morning on the Superlux Taiwan website that there is a new version of the S502, called the S502MKII. I called the Canadian distributor about it and he didn't know anything about it yet, but will be finding out at NAMM later in January.

If anyone has any experience with the newer version please let us all know. I was all set to buy the first generation, but I might wait until I find out about the newer one. Maybe consistency/quality control has been improved.

http://www.superlux.com.tw/productIn...#skill_zone_li
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
http://www.superlux.com.tw/upload/fu...502MKII_EN.pdf

Thanks for posting this announcement...much appreciated !

Looking at the above brochure and comparing it with my regular 502, I'm noticing the following differences (although the pic on the brochure may be a CAD drawing, not a photo ?) :

Different capsules (3 vent slots instead of 2).....a redesigned 'shoulder' assembly, incorporating more screws on the body end, and a non-chamfered (carbon fibre ?) receptacle for the capsule to screw into. It's possible even the angle/dimensions of the ORTF assembly have changed too ?

Most of the claimed differences are outlined in this document, and the 'old vs new' response plots are printed there also

Comparing with the old spec sheet, differences are (old/new) :

Sensitivity (Old) -36/ (new) -37 dBV/Pa
Signal/Noise: (Old) 76dB (IEC651 ref. to 94dB SPL); 97dB (20dB headroom) (New) 79dB
Equivalent Input Noise: (Old) 18dB SPL A weighted: (New) 15dB (A-weighted, IEC/DIN651)
Max SPL: (Old) 135dB (THD≤0.5%) (New) 134dB(THD ≦ 1%1000Hz)

The frequency plots (at the HF end) appear quite different, rather than a peak from 7-11kHz it's now a lot smoother and more extended...so perhaps more like the Schoeps it still emulates (in body design at least Schoeps is the lower mic in pic)

I hope they've improved the internal component quality, as several tweakers on this thread have already done ... in response to the original version's under-achievements ? The improved self-noise specs would suggest so, but maybe that's down to the new capsules ?

On paper, at least, it looks like a worthy replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
Superlux s502-dsc_0010.jpg  

Last edited by studer58; 2 weeks ago at 04:20 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
I also emailed Taiwan this afternoon about a possible release date and retail price, so we'll see if, when and for how much. I don't think we will know anything until after NAMM. It could be months before it gets released to retail. I also asked Taiwan about the 10 m, stereo XLR5F / XLR5M microphone cable Model: FM10AMM, which no one anywhere seems to have, online or otherwise. Perhaps I will have to order it direct from the source, similar to some capsules that someone ordered.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaaster View Post
I also emailed Taiwan this afternoon about a possible release date and retail price, so we'll see if, when and for how much. I don't think we will know anything until after NAMM. It could be months before it gets released to retail. I also asked Taiwan about the 10 m, stereo XLR5F / XLR5M microphone cable Model: FM10AMM, which no one anywhere seems to have, online or otherwise. Perhaps I will have to order it direct from the source, similar to some capsules that someone ordered.
Given the wobbly quality of the original version in terms of noise and faulty capsules, I wouldn't rush out to become an early beta tester....although their stated mfr-ing intentions are good !

As for the 10m 5 pin cable, I found the included 0.6 m XLR-M > 5 pin XLR-F to be poorly soldered and not great quality cable...so I'd rather recommend to get some good raw star quad cable, and solder your own 5 and 3 pin connectors on, so you'll get both mic signals running down a single cable...compact and time-saving
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Have they learnt to solder yet and use copper wire rather than wet string!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
Have they learnt to solder yet and use copper wire rather than wet string!
I hope they'll one day realise that they have pretty good products and the weak link in their production chain is likely poorly trained, sweatshop-style assembly processes ? That they perform so well in spite of this deficit is a tiny miracle....
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
No opportunity for spot mics in this one, so an original unmodified S502 alone is all you get here:

https://vimeo.com/382109269

You can see it pictured on the tallish stand from the upstairs long shot, I used 2 carbon fibre Rode Micro Boom pole Pro extensions, on top of a regular tripod, to get the 3.2 metre height.... without a thick visually-intrusive vertical bar.

Last edited by studer58; 1 week ago at 12:03 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
No opportunity for spot mics in this one, so an original unmodified S502 alone is all you get here...pictured on the tallish stand from the upstairs long shot, I used 2 carbon fibre Rode Micro Boom pole Pro extensions, on top of a regular tripod, to get the 3.2 metre height.... without a thick visually-intrusive vertical bar.
Very polished video - I'm sure the small footprint of your mics was appreciated by the camera operators. The S502 is impressive for its price point. But, if we could only get the Line Audio to build two CM4 in an single ORTF unit...
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict
Found this picture of the new s502 internals online, fwiw it doesn’t look promising ...
Attached Thumbnails
Superlux s502-0ec056fc-589d-4994-8c06-bee729a542ec.jpg  
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heva View Post
Found this picture of the new s502 internals online, fwiw it doesn’t look promising ...
It certainly isn't even as tidy as the original and the housing looks 'cheap' by comparison...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search