The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any ECM slutz in this house?
Old 12th February 2020
Lives for gear

Great thread! I'm demoing Amazon Music HD right now, and most of these recordings are available at CD or higher quality. Like someone mentioned above, I'm not fully on board with the streaming ethos, but there's no doubt it's an amazing value for an engineer looking for reference material.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Can't believe it took me this long to find this thread, lots of phenomenal music posted in here! There are countless beautiful ECM records from the last fifty years or so, for sure, and a good many since this thread was born fourteen years ago(!).

I've been a Mark Turner fan for many years but for some reason I never listened to his ECM album "Lathe of Heaven" until today. It's extremely badass, incredible musicianship across the board, but there's also a delightfully gear-slutty video highlighting some of the recording process. This was done at Avatar in NYC, not at Rainbow or one of the other European studios that ECM likes to use, but it still has the ECM vibe and sound quality.

Avatar used to be the Power Station, and now I suppose it is once again... Berklee bought it a few years ago and they've renamed it "Power Station at BerkleeNYC" or something like that. I hope they don't ruin it. It's a legendary place. At least one of my other favorite ECM records, "Prime Directive" by the Dave Holland Quintet, was recorded there as well.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hey Progger, great post!
I started this thread back in another life.
I am so happy to see it still active,
and filled with such quality ECM content.
peace,
Walter
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Lush View Post
I started this thread back in another life. I am so happy to see it still active and filled with such quality ECM content.
Indeed!

I just picked up the new Carla Bley/Steve Swallow/Andy Sheppard on vinyl - wonderful stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
Stefano [Amerio] has added many more excellent recordings to the ECM library. His studio is Artesuono, in Udine, Italy. His is a modest sized studio, but he has all the top microphones, an Otari console, and of course the obligatory TC 6000 and Lex 960. A very talented man, very well respected in Europe.
Yes - this one was engineered by Mr Amerio.
Attached Thumbnails
Any ECM slutz in this house?-img_3498.jpg   Any ECM slutz in this house?-fullsizerender.jpg  
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear