The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for SD omnis...
Old 6th July 2010
Gear Nut

Question Looking for SD omnis...

Good evening.

Sorry if this topic has been discused previously (I think it has... ), but I still cannot make up my mind, and would like to make the best possible decision.

I´m looking for a pair of SD omnis (even three, for a Decca tree), which would be used for classical recording (ranging from orchestras and choruses to smaller ensembles and chamber settings).

They would be paired with my DAV BG No8.

At the moment, I cannot afford any of the big names (=big money), so I need the best possible quality at a reasonable price. So far, I have narrowed my list down to the following:

DPA 4060 (noisy, maybe?)
Audio Technica 4022
MBHO MBNM 410
Shure KSM 141
T.H.E. CR6

Trying before buying is not an option, as I live in a quite small city.

Any advice, coment or (even better!) sample files, would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear
The MBHO 410 should not have enough sensitivity for classical works. I would look at the 604 preamp + the KA100D cap which are hotter. But it's not the same price...

Another candidate could be the Beyer MC910. It seems to be very good for what you want to do, but no direct experience...

JMM
Old 6th July 2010
Gear Addict
I would have a look at the Josephson C617 set, a matched pair of omnis using an MT Gefell nickel capsule.

Josephson Engineering c617 Set | RecordingHacks.com

I have a vintage pair of the Gefell MV692's that use the M77 Nickel capsule.
These mics evince an incredible clarity and response, though the 692's are cardioids.

Regards;

Danny
Old 6th July 2010
Quote:
I would have a look at the Josephson C617 set
Well out of his budget. The Beyer 910 is a good idea.
Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear

I like the AT4022s. I like the Oktava Mk012s and Countryman IsoMax IIs even more.
Old 6th July 2010
Gear Head

I can recommend the AKG C480 with CK62. I use them together with MKH20s and KM131s and they have about the same level of audio quality. Though, they are more expensive than the non-modular MC****0 (I don't have them, but the samples I have heard were great).

Nils
Old 6th July 2010
LX3
Lives for gear

The AT4049 is great, if you can still find any. I think I have five (not meaning to brag). Did AT do a revised version? i.e. not the 4022, which is their slightly lower-end design I believe.

There's certainly a new version of the 4051 cardioid, which is from the same range... the 4051b I think it's called.

I suppose I could have researched this a bit!

Anyway, I've done a few classical recordings with the 4049s, and been very happy.
Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX3 View Post
Did AT do a revised version? i.e. not the 4022, which is their slightly lower-end design I believe.
There is a 4049b that has replaced their 4049a. Is that what you are thinking of?
Old 7th July 2010
Gear Maniac

I'm very happy with my pair of Sennheiser MKH8020, but if my budget were more limited I'd go for the Beyerdynamic MC910. Should be available for about $1k US for a pair; not sure about EU pricing and sources.
Old 7th July 2010
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
Well out of his budget. The Beyer 910 is a good idea.
Do they sell the 910's in a stereo set? I love my 930's. I have not heard much about the 910's. If they sound as good as the 930's, I'm sold.
Old 7th July 2010
Quote:
Do they sell the 910's in a stereo set?
According to the Beyer reps, you can request it from the dealer. Though right now a matched pair is not a standard package.
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

I like your idea of the Shure KSM 141. Then you would have omni and cardioid in one mic!

They are excellent sound and I believe a pair can be purchased for around $800 here in the USA.

I also like the MBHO mics but they would be more money for about the same performance.

The Shure is a top quality mic, now that's for sure.
Why not get the quality "Made in USA" product?
Old 8th July 2010
Lives for gear

After extensive research I recently ordered a pair of AT4022s for $480 the pair at B&H Photo.
Old 8th July 2010
Lives for gear

chris - i think you will be quite surprised at just how good those omnis are. good luck.
Old 10th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
chris - i think you will be quite surprised at just how good those omnis are. good luck.
jnorman -

In my research I have taken great note of your posts listing the high-end mics you have owned in the past and your recommendations of the AT4051b. Those remarks were influential in my thinking.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search