The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Hooking It All Together
Old 9th June 2003
Gear Addict

Hooking It All Together

For the ongoing mobile PT rig...

I've been trying to figure out how I want to arrange things in flight cases.

I could theoretically put everything in one rack, provided it's the size of a refrigerator, but something tells me that my back would later regret it. So I've been thinking about splitting things up: One rack with pre's, another with converters and outboard, etc.

Now I just have to figure out how to hook things together in some reasonable amount of time. ADC has some preconfigured patchbays that come out in ELCO connectors. I figure I could have one of those on the outs of the Pre rack, which would hook to the ins of the converter rack, and so on.

Does this sound like the way to go? Any other suggestions?
Old 10th June 2003
urumita

Personally I've been thinking smaller than ELCO. There are these nice sturdy 25 pin (smaller and larger sizes) audio connecters, www.linkitaly.com ?. that I hook on all my racks.
I'm hooking all of these connecters into a ghielmetti patch bay which has convenient front panel normalling plugs which take the mystery out of normalled, half-normalled etc.., you just stick them in and they work.
The trick is to keep all your ins'an'outs at your racks to groups of 8 and you'll keep it efficient. (The STT1 has an in, an out, a side chain in and out, send and returns for the eq and compressor and some other things. with four of these units I have 32 points that don't necessarily meet my signal flow requirements).
To help solve this problem I've recently begun to study the pedal steel guitar and the banjo at the same time, if this fails I'll start to study the free-bass button accordian. My hopes aren't very high. I guess I'll have to get 4 more.
I think I mentioned a patch bay somewhere. Mine's portable and with the ghielmetti it's easy in the end. I have these other (LK) connecters on the back, a snake and different breakout boxes. You just have to find some ghielmetti to tt adapters for those who arrive with XLR>tt snakes. I have a notebook and a computer document of useful front and rear panel configurations. Row A1 of the patch bay is connected to 6 different 25 pin connecters, as are all of the other rows. My patches look like this: Micbox1>A1a, micbox2>A1b, etc.., instead of plugging in 540 (or less) patches that I can't really change in an instant, I plug in 60 (or less) small cables that I can arrange in a liberal manner and patch and plug to my hearts content. I use 8 pair extesions and lots of Velcro. Any D-sub connecters on any hardware units get D-sub>LK tails, I keep the connecter scheme trad. Female>in Male>out, this way I'll never get confused. The only exception to this is my powercon setup, where the cables are all male to male and the panels are all fe to fe. Like this I have my mic. ties and my intergear connections easily patchable between each other and my power distribution taken care of, in the studio or on remote gigs.
I don't yet trust these new fangled MIDI controoled patchers because they also have level controls and buffer amps everywhere, but it could merit some investigation.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search