The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Going to record a band in a theatre
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

Question Going to record a band in a theatre

I have this opportunity to record a rock band (drums, guitar, vocalist and bass) in a theatre.
I will have a Midas Venice, a Fireface 800 and a laptop.
I am thinking of recording them all together to get that live "vibe", I always recorded bass and drums together before (feeding the drummer and bass player a heaphone mixes and ID'ing a bass), and it seems that this band record a lot better this way.
But Now I want it to be all live (maybe some guitar overdubs later), and I won't be able to use a heaphone mix.
I need to get any advices of how to get a better separation, I am planning on miking the drums with couple of Neumann 184s, or U87s as OH's in recorderman's setup, putting a U89 a few meters away from the kit pointing at the kit as a room mic, using SM7 for kick and sm57 for snare, use another 89 on a bassman bass cab (also running DI), and sennheiser e609 for guitar cab.
I can also afford some room mics for the natural theater reverb (I am planning to set the band on stage), pointing away from the stage...
Anyway, its going to be a wonderful Night at The Theatre, and I would love to get any kind of input on band placement on the stage and miking
Old 17th November 2009
i would seriously suggest using some sort of headphone monitoring, at least for bass and maybe guitar, to keep your room reverberation to mainly drums. bass floating around in a huge room can create mud that might get in the way of nice room ambience that can be used later. Also, get samples of all teh drums in teh room, both close mics and far mics, for blending/editing later. You might find that it will work better using just a little bit of the room mics and mxing each drum's respective room sample in to varying degrees yields a more controllable result.
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

Well I was going more for that jack johnson records idea (Secrets Of The Mix Engineers: Robert Carranza)
I would be glad to hear any recomendations on tracking this way, without headphones.
Just stuff like placing mics and guys on stage
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear