The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I've asked this before, but what are your "reference" cds
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Talking I've asked this before, but what are your "reference" cds

I have found it exceedingly difficult(especially these days) to encounter recordings that have *both* wonderful sound and fantastic performances.

I am curious as to which CDs in your collection(or otherwise!) fill both requirements? There was a thread on this very subject on recording.org, but it seems to have disappeared.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

thank you, David.

I have a score of "audiophile" cds that contain horrible musical content..this weird , awful amalgam of world music R+B and smooth jazz.. just terrible... so it is great to see products that are both wonderful in terms of musicality/appeal and sound!

the only one I dislike on your list is AJA... which falls into "fantastically recorded cds that i hate" category. Joshua Judges Ruth is a favorite. Enjoy Mr. Massenburg's work a lot.. see YouTube - Mother's Child - Dawn

thanks again! I need to put those on my christmas list.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

For flute works, which I find the most challenging since I am most critical of it, I like everything I've heard from Emmanuel Pahud. My favorite CD though is apparently out of print because I can't find it.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

As i have a liking for the "king of instruments", I have found that AEOLUS
are making simple, but very effective recordings of the pipe organ in europe, as are JAV recordings in the USA, and Priory records, here in the UK
Peter
Old 19th November 2009
Gear Addict
I use the Ultrasone test CD, Little Feat's "Last Record Album" , Don Cherry's Dona Nostra, Paul Winter's "Canyon" Tony DeMarco's "Sligo Indians" and Hillary Hahn's "Paganini & Spohr: Violin Concertos." These give me a pretty good idea of what a room sounds like and pretty much cover anything I'm likely to work on.

Danny
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear