The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Location jazz trio recording and video
Old 15th November 2009
Talking Location jazz trio recording and video

Hey guys,

Here's a sample of what I'm going to start offering my clients. Quick background: I'm a senior (studying jazz drums) at a music conservatory and on the side I do recital recordings for fellow students. I do about 100 or so per year. I normally just offer stereo pair recordings but now I'm going to really market my multitrack recordings with video (more money for me! and overall more impressive product than stereo).

This recording was for a close friend's (the drummer) grad school audition tape so I was able to fully test my system without worry.

The gear:
Drum OHs MC012s > DAVBG1
Kick RE20
Piano KSM27s
Bass AT4030
Bass DI

Recorded into Logic with a MOTU896HD at 24/48
Mixed in Nuendo with a little bit of API eq plugins

YouTube - HD Multitrack Recording Demo

Love to hear all comments/criticisms

Also, I'm trying to track down a used pair of DPA4061s. On multitrack sessions I could use them in the piano (lid closed) for greater isolation, as well as a nice pair for spaced omni stereo recordings. Any thoughts??

Thanks!
Old 15th November 2009
Here for the gear

One of my fav tunes.

Why not have the drummer on the left side of the open piano? (less Drum's in the piano mics). Also, moving the OH mics as close to the drummer as possible should raise the level of the snare and tom.
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Sounds pretty good. Soft strokes on the snare are getting lost though, which is especially obvious with video. I still haven't gotten a perfect drumset recording but yeah, maybe try a bit lower, and maybe not angled out any.

I like the bass sound a lot.
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

Lose the bass DI. It sounds like 1974.

Also, 1 drum OH will be fine. Use the other sdc for the snare/hh.
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

I really like this and the playing is great too! Is that you on the drums?

I don't know this for a fact but you might get better audio & video quality if you post on Vimeo.com rather than YouTube.

I'd like to see more of this type of thing - I get real enjoyment from watching live performances, even if it's just in a room like this (doesn't have to be a huge stadium).

Good work. thumbsup
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

I think music for a video of a live band should be mixed and panned from the audience POV. If there is a multi-camera set-up, keeping the music mono helps so that the imaging doesn't become confusing during close-ups or hand-held shots from behind or sides.

Also, I recommend choosing a reverb that matches the room where the performance is taking place.

Also, regarding the bass DI. Some bassists don't regularly use amps, and they should be mic'd only. Other bassists use an amp as part of their sound. Mic the amp and the bass because it will more closely match what the bass player had in mind.
Old 16th November 2009
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfarber View Post
I think music for a video of a live band should be mixed and panned from the audience POV. If there is a multi-camera set-up, keeping the music mono helps so that the imaging doesn't become confusing during close-ups or hand-held shots from behind or sides.

Also, I recommend choosing a reverb that matches the room where the performance is taking place.
What?! No way?! (sarcasm)

Related thread: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remot...fferently.html
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcdrum View Post
Hey guys,

Here's a sample of what I'm going to start offering my clients. Quick background: I'm a senior (studying jazz drums) at a music conservatory and on the side I do recital recordings for fellow students. I do about 100 or so per year. I normally just offer stereo pair recordings but now I'm going to really market my multitrack recordings with video (more money for me! and overall more impressive product than stereo).

This recording was for a close friend's (the drummer) grad school audition tape so I was able to fully test my system without worry.

The gear:
Drum OHs MC012s > DAVBG1
Kick RE20
Piano KSM27s
Bass AT4030
Bass DI

Recorded into Logic with a MOTU896HD at 24/48
Mixed in Nuendo with a little bit of API eq plugins

YouTube - HD Multitrack Recording Demo

Love to hear all comments/criticisms

Also, I'm trying to track down a used pair of DPA4061s. On multitrack sessions I could use them in the piano (lid closed) for greater isolation, as well as a nice pair for spaced omni stereo recordings. Any thoughts??

Thanks!
Nice recording job ! I prefer more mic on the bass than the DI but in this situation this was probably good decision ( no gobos , everyone in the same room etc ...) . I like the sound , i don't like the band , low energy no music, typical student band , this was probably an exam at the school right ......
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear