The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
JoeCo BlackBox Recorder at AES
Old 4th November 2009
Gear Maniac

This looks like a great box. There are too many boxes that do-too-much-in-an-average-manner.

This one looks great to just do one thing: record and/or playback.

My only concern is the reported lack of timecode chase. For me thats a showstopper, because I'd like to use it as a standalone box as well as a box in the truck. Being involved in broadcast, we have to slave to timecode and have all the gear sync and move around based on the incoming slave.

Other than that, it seems to be the answer to a lot of common issues around.

Nice job, Joe .
Old 4th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClickTrackAudio View Post
This looks like a great box. There are too many boxes that do-too-much-in-an-average-manner.

This one looks great to just do one thing: record and/or playback.

My only concern is the reported lack of timecode chase. For me thats a showstopper, because I'd like to use it as a standalone box as well as a box in the truck. Being involved in broadcast, we have to slave to timecode and have all the gear sync and move around based on the incoming slave.
Wouldn't you just send TC to one audio track, and record straight in real time? Then in your DAW you could chase for editing etc. I dont' do video sync so I dont' know, actually curious hoe you would want it to work.

L
Old 4th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Not an option, unfortunately.

Some broadcasts do "live edit" in order to limit the amount of post required. Think of it as audio & video punch ins...

So what happens is the show runs and everyone slaves to TC. In the video truck, they have a master recorder with at least one (usually 2) secondary recorder.

If there's a screw up (whether it be technical or a performer), the production stops, the master TC clock is reset to an easy restart point and the slave recorder is put into playback from that point. The master recorder goes back into record and then everything continues from that time. (Including the audience prompts for cheering etc...You can imagine that the thrill of being an audience member for one of these types of live shows wears off after the second or third stop!!!)

From the audio perspective, you need to be able to slave and follow that timecode so that you stay in sync with the rest of the world. So unfortunately, a recorder that can't sync to a positional timecode reference just won't work. The timelines are too tight and you don't want to be the one the production has to sit and wait for when they need to resync and go.

Again, though...other than that, it looks like this recorder has everything most would need!
Old 4th November 2009
Lives for gear

Thanks for the description. I do live mostly, so there is no stopping. I see what you mean!

Don't think the JoeCo will do that...

L
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

looking forward to those who have owned the unit.
Old 11th November 2009
Jam
Lives for gear

They've offered to loan me one, so they're definitely out there.

Unfortunately there's no digital I/O available for now. Which is what we need. So we're just trying to decide whether to wait or get it in now.

James
Old 23rd November 2009
Gear Maniac

FWIW & Questions

FWIW, Sweetwater has them in their on-line catalog.

I don't like the wall wart - any idea if they are going to put the PS in side the unit?

I want to continue using my Aurora converters. Wondering if the AES version will be available soon?

Any suggestions for rack mounted USB HD?
Old 24th November 2009
Lives for gear

Seriously interested in one of these if they make a version that would send inputs out digitally via ADAT so that I could seamlessly replace my HD24XR, and have the same quality of conversion and backup/monitor capability through the ADAT outs.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

ADAT I/O would be nice as an option. I wouldn't need analogue I/O, so I guess they could just offer a choice of different I/O sections.
Old 25th November 2009
Lives for gear

That was my main gripe number 2 about the design. Make it stock with digital I/O and let us add analog later if needed. They seem to be marketing to the "virtual soundcheck" crowd, but the only ones who can really implement it in that way (and afford it) are doing large venues. And with analog consoles being a rarity these days why wouldn't we connect a digital console to a digital recorder, digitally?
Old 26th November 2009
Super Moderator

Thomas,

Those are very good points.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

surflounge Do you have to have a 24 track recorder/player to use the Wohler LM53-24? I've got one that has XRL inputs on the rear, a lot of 2 track recorders, but don't really know how to the Wohler.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear