The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is Harman moving Studer?
Old 8th October 2009
Lives for gear

Question Is Harman moving Studer?

I am on the Studer listserve and this topic just came up. Obviously not frontpage news, but if it is true it should be on our radar screen whether we own/use Studer gear or not:

Studer protests against Harman management decisions on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I am not a Flickr member-- can someone dig further? Will Studer products change if production is moved?

Rich
Old 8th October 2009
Lives for gear

Just a shot of somebody handing out flyers... no real info.

--Ben
Old 8th October 2009
Old 8th October 2009
Here for the gear

Hi Guys, I work at Studer, I found your thread, I can tell you what's going on: Harman Pro wants our hi-tech know-how (the most advanced in all Harmann Industries) and then suppress us definitively, after over 60 Years world history! This is what we believe.

Please support our protest and spread the word and share these links in your communities!

Harman – Don't kill Studer Ltd. |

please join our protest group on facebook:

Harman – Don't kill Studer

Thanks!
Old 9th October 2009
Super Moderator

Best wishes on your cause and affect.
Old 12th October 2009
Here for the gear

Hi all!

As you all must be aware of Studer is known to be Made in Switzerland - That's why it's so good!

Would you buy Studer audio equipment "Made in China"?

-Carla

Harman – Don't kill Studer Ltd. (ex Revox, Studio Mixing Consoles)! | Stop Harman (Kardon / Becker / International entertainment) ruining Studer's great audio studio gear!

Harman do not kill Studer | Facebook

Last edited by Carla; 12th October 2009 at 08:04 AM..
Old 13th October 2009
Lives for gear

If Harman does what it intends, Studer Vista will go down the toilet- much like the Neve-AMS Libre Live and Capricorn desks did.

Harman has already downgraded the technology by making a feature-limited Soundcraft-branded Vista little sister.

Sad.
Old 13th October 2009
Super Moderator

Unhappy

It's a crying shame.
Old 13th October 2009
Lives for gear

It's funny how many companies fail in the race for making more and more money... It's not better to make some money, than loose everything because you have to make a lot of money??

Don't trust my business opinion though!
Old 13th October 2009
Here for the gear

Exclamation

Breaking News!

In a press conference tomorrow,
a group of Swiss investors who want save Studer Audio from being closed by
Harman
will present their plans for a buy-out!
If that works, 100 employees keep their jobs and Studer will continue to produce
great audio equipment!

Keep your fingers crossed, this might be a story where the good guys win. But we
are not there yet, so join the FB group to give the campaign a further boost!
Updates will be posted on
Group of Investors lead by Swiss Entrepreneur Otto Ineichen goes public with buy-out bid | Harman – Don't kill Studer Ltd. (ex Revox, Studio Mixing Consoles)!
and
Old 13th October 2009
Super Moderator

Outstanding!

That's great news!
My fingers are cross!
All the best!
Old 14th October 2009
Here for the gear

Thanks Steve, I forwarded your message to the Studer people.
And thanks to everyone for joining in. This (hopefully!) turn for the better is because of people taking a stand and speaking out. We are all eagerly awaiting the outcome of today's bid......
Old 17th October 2009
Lives for gear

What was the outcome?

Rich
Old 18th October 2009
Lives for gear

I can't believe that a buyout is going to happen. I don't think that Harman are interested in selling Studer, just making it more profitable. There is an article on PSW about the investment and expansion of the Soundcraft factory at Potters Bar. I read some time ago that they had spent a lot of money on automated circuit board making machine that I believe they mentioned at the time of installation, were also to be used fo rmaking boards for the Vista range. It stikes me that the decision is a cost cutting/rationalisation measure. If you look at the website, all Studer seem to be offering these days is the Vista and associated peripherals.

Roland
Old 18th October 2009
Gear Maniac

Yet another example of the great American business model doing good works throughout the world. This has got to stop! GM just did this to a hundred year old giant car factory in WI. To quote Lennon "How do you sleep at night?"
Wishing the good folks a Studer good luck. Maybe they can start a competitive new company ala JoeCo or something? There is a market for small high end ANALOG console these days. I'd love to see a tape machine come back into production.
Old 19th October 2009
Here for the gear

Lightbulb huge support

i am happy with the huge support for the studer people!

if you want to support them too, join in - link - spread the info as following:

Please support the campaign on the following plattforms:
1. FB link is

2. Blog link with background information is --> link your websites to it:
Harman – Don't kill Studer Ltd. (ex Revox, Studio Mixing Consoles)! | Stop Harman (Kardon / Becker / International entertainment) ruining Studer's great audio studio gear!

3. If you have a blog pls post the story there or on twitter. And pls add our links, Thanks!

See amazing footage of supporters, sound engineers, film producers, musicians, opera house and theatre directors, unions, employees and friends and family taking to the streets.
YouTube - Harman (International Audio entertainment) ruins Studer (Revox, mixing consoles)

To save Studer we need to be fast.

cheers
spruce
Old 25th October 2009
Gear Nut

Save Studer English-language petition.

Can everyone PLEASE go and sign this save Studer petition.

Unia: English

Had there been no Studer back in the day, I'm wondering if there would be a gearslutz now.....?

Studer's existence and products have had a HUGE impact on the worldwide recording industry and it's output, and in a way the very success of the old technology spawned the success of the new technology...
Old 25th October 2009
Super Moderator

Exclamation Chime in and get counted...

I did my part and signed the petition...

Now, it's up to each and every one from this forum to chime in and get counted!!!

Consider it your duty as an audio enthusiast.
Old 26th October 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
I did my part and signed the petition...

Now, it's up to each and every one from this forum to chime in and get counted!!!

Consider it your duty as an audio enthusiast.

Absolutely! Well done!

Greetings from UK,

Gwyn
Old 22nd November 2009
XLR
Gear Maniac
Last news I could find:
The production will definitively move to the UK, but the developement and research division will stay in switzerland, that's 60 people.

Regionaljournal Zürich Schaffhausen | Schweizer Radio DRS
(swiss local radio news)

Whatever that means for the consoles
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazo Audio View Post
Yet another example of the great American business model doing good works throughout the world. This has got to stop! GM just did this to a hundred year old giant car factory in WI. To quote Lennon "How do you sleep at night?"
Wishing the good folks a Studer good luck. Maybe they can start a competitive new company ala JoeCo or something? There is a market for small high end ANALOG console these days. I'd love to see a tape machine come back into production.
That's indeed what they should have done - the investors who wanted to buy Studer from Harman should have just started a company across the road and advertised the relevant jobs. That way virtually everyone ( even Harman..:-) would have got a result.

Sadly ( and I must say here IMHO) Harman appear to have "done a number" on the Studer employees now, the bottom line of which we shall most probably see in circa 3 years time.
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazo Audio View Post
... There is a market for small high end ANALOG console these days. I'd love to see a tape machine come back into production.
It has been a while since Studer built the legendary analog gear. Most of these people are probably not with Studer anymore. So I doubt they easily could go back to analog. They see their future in broadcast, only niche with still considerable budgets. Broadcast does not buy analog. Maybe a small company reissuing the Studer stuff under a different roof could be successful though.
Old 23rd November 2009
serious political discussion

IMO it's good that ppl. on Gearslutz see and understand the real result of their actions. Like many consumers seem unable to do. (are we consumers, or are we "artisans"? or both?)

IME the "world" of CEOs and managers of multinational corporations (I count a few of them as my dearest friends), is VERY remote from the business reality of running a profitable production business. It has to do with shareholders, and profit margins on paper. Which practically means destruction of knowledge capital in favor of short range profit margins. Cutting cost is the key word. Building a client base, and development of a high quality and (intrinsic) value product INHOUSE are filthy words in the world of consumer electronics. Of course throwaway progress has a price. Like everything has a price (even shortcuts).
As can be seen here:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-...ion-china.html

These are China's prospects. It will overtake and halt their rush towards a technological advance (IMHO). And because we live on the same planet, these are ours as well. This is our responsibility as well.

VOTE with your wallet. There is ALWAYS an alternative.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear