The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Matched Pairs - Who needs em?
View Poll Results: Do you Insist on "Matched" pairs of gear?
Yes, 100% of the time, I couldn't live without it ( them)
3 Votes - 12.50%
Yes, if it is an option I will allways use matched sets of gear, but i can cope with no loss of sleep if they aren't..
19 Votes - 79.17%
No, I could care less!
1 Votes - 4.17%
For the SSL driver in PT guy.. WTF is a matched pair?
1 Votes - 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th May 2003
Lives for gear

Matched Pairs - Who needs em?

Curious as to how many of us rely/insist on matched pairs of mics, or pres, comps...

I see the use in Classical esp, and it does seem a good idea, but I generally dont care a whole lot witht he stuff I am doing, as I am not generally stereo micing, just dual mono 90% of the time... any opinions?
Old 13th May 2003
Overhead & room duties, yes.

Old 13th May 2003
Lives for gear

It helps for resale value down the road. Not that any true gearslut sells gear, unless they are getting funds to buy MORE gear.
Old 14th May 2003
One with big hooves

I go between caring a lot and not really giving a shit about mics. It really depends on the application. As long as the mics and whatever else are pretty close in tone it's good enough for me. But it's mostly room mics, overheads, percussion etc. and nothing highly critical. I am however, really nuerotic about having identical cables for the left and right sides of stuff.
Old 18th May 2003
Lives for gear

jay, I totally agree about the swing in opinion, for instance, I just got done a tracking session with matched Elux 251s through an ampex 354 for room mics and Iam all hopped up on matched sets... ( or maybe I am all hopped up on 251s....
)
Old 18th May 2003
Lives for gear

I tend to not give a crap with solid state equipment as well. The tube stuff I try to get matched up.
Old 19th May 2003
Super Moderator

I went with the "Yes, if it is an option I will allways use matched sets of gear, but i can cope with no loss of sleep if they aren't..." because it was the best choice.

Matched (not to be confused with consecutive serial numbers heh) can be very important when you're trying to track drums with a few vintage 1176s and they don't sound the same.

Not too important when you got a matched pair of anything on two different things... Or is it important? Nah!

I would rather record with matched transducers when ever applicable. For instance, stereo mic'ing; it's a better option for me. CRM speaker monitors; of course, I would rather have a matched set... Wouldn't you? It's a good starting point.
Old 1st August 2003
I prefer matched with mics. Its not that big of a deal with other stuff, compressors I usually will use a pair or a 2 channel box like an elop if I'm recording something in stereo. Most of the mic pre's I own I have at least 2
of so thats not a problem
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear