The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
ATI consoles?
Old 8th May 2003
ATI consoles?

Have anyone heard about those monsters??? I saw one yesterday... I forgot the model... but it was huge and the owner told me he loves the pres and EQs...
Old 8th May 2003
Moderator emeritus

It's a live console, right? I know that the ATI Paragon is (was) part of the house system at Nashville's Opry House; some of the guys who have used it loved that one...
Old 8th May 2003
right... it's a live console... but it has dynamics on it, it's a "true" in line console that accepts mic on both inputs... a hundred thousand sends ... and they supposed to sell a 8 ch pre on 1 rack unit... I wonder how they sound
Old 8th May 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by jeronimo
I wonder how they sound
Very clean.

Even though they were distributing API(I am not sure if they still are), their stuff is more on the clean/straight wire sound.
Old 9th May 2003
Lives for gear

The Paragon is a great sounding, super flexable console, that is a total learning curve adjustment.

Big shwing factor though!
Old 9th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jeronimo
...and they supposed to sell a 8 ch pre on 1 rack unit... I wonder how they sound
I've owned one for years. It's great for doing remote recording, but I use it alot in the studio too. It's more than just an 8 channel mic pre - it's an 8x2 mixer (with panning) as well. This can be a very handy feature. A good example is one project where I was doing four passes of eight background vocalists (each individually mic'd). By using the ATI 8x2 I was able to:

a) submix each pass of eight down to a stereo pair which could then be processed through an outboard stereo tube compressor before they hit the A-D converters.

b) ended up with only 8 tracks of background vocals instead of 32.

Pres are much cleaner than API, but not completely boring either. I don't personally have much use for the limiters though. (I keep them turned off).
Old 9th May 2003
Hey guys, how much should one of those 8ch units run for?
Old 9th May 2003
Hey Littledog, do the limiters on your ATI ever kick in when you don't want them to? I've used one of the 8 channel pres for years and every now and then the limiter will kick in and squeeze the crap out of the audio. Usually happens on drums.

By the way, the pres sound good, the limiter sounds like garbage.

Shawn
Old 9th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawn1272
Hey Littledog, do the limiters on your ATI ever kick in when you don't want them to? I've used one of the 8 channel pres for years and every now and then the limiter will kick in and squeeze the crap out of the audio. Usually happens on drums.

By the way, the pres sound good, the limiter sounds like garbage.

Shawn
I agree about avoiding the limiters, and I keep mine turned full counterclockwise, which should be off. I've never noticed them cutting in accidently in all the years I've been using them. ATI does have a great technical support team. (They even send me a Christmas card every year!) I had to send it back once because of a noticeable ozone smell when I turned it on, and they fixed it and shipped it back really quickly. You might want to check with them to see if it is a known and/or fixable problem.
Old 10th May 2003
Old 12th January 2004
Super Moderator

I've seen an ATI Paragon P40D console on eBay around the $15K USD price. ATI on eBay

I think a new 8MX2 is in the $2K USD range.

Their website is audiotoys.com

I love their Pro6 -- It's a single space, Paragon channel strip.
One of my favorite mic pre's.
A great all in one box for sure.
It's too bad they stop making them.

Who knows, with enough buzz maybe they'll reissue the Pro6 like they did with the 8MX2.
Old 12th January 2004
Lives for gear

8MX2 is @ $$2500
Old 12th January 2004
Lives for gear

Your friendly local API dealer should be able to help
Old 12th January 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
It's a live console, right? I know that the ATI Paragon is (was) part of the house system at Nashville's Opry House; some of the guys who have used it loved that one...
Before they replaced it with PM1Ds, the Hollywood Bowl had two Paragon boards at front of house... Of course they were fed by 2 massive racks of preamps backstage as well that are filled with Millennia, Grace, Avalon, Tubetech and the like...

--Ben

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search