Logic 6 / OSX as a remote solution
Old 6th May 2003
Lives for gear

Logic 6 / OSX as a remote solution

A friend of mine is looking for a remote solution :

He has :

Titanium powerbook 500

He wants :

to make arrangements on the road for small symphonical orchestra with band.

I adviced him :

- Max out ram on titanium
- Logic 6
- esx 24 soft sampler
- usefull sample library on his HD
- small tiny midi keyboard

Anyone care to give comments on such a setup / pitfalls / performance experience ???

Will such a setup be 'workable' in day to day use as in not too slow etc etc ...

any ideas on what small tiny midi keyboard to get (one that connects with usb ???)

thanks
Old 6th May 2003
Mac Moderator

Chris,
Sounds like a good system. I have a TiBook 550 which is slightly worse for audio than the 500 grudge but it handles LP6 well. especially with the freeze function.. tell your friend to get an external firewire HD then he can freeze loads of exs24 tracks to HD and get huge track counts.
I use the M Audio Oxygen 8. We sold one to Micheal Nyman who uses it just fine, so I know you can use it for Orchestration.. even with its small 2.5 octave keyboard. (it has transpose functions to get the full keyboard span) I would advise Mac OSX as its more reliable, plus the Oxygen drivers are much more robust.
Hope this helps?

Al.
Old 6th May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by MCal
I have a TiBook 550 which is slightly worse for audio ....
Al.

hmmm ...; actually he has a 550 .... typed it wrong. why is the 550 worse then the 500 ??
Old 6th May 2003
Mac Moderator

Chris,
It's the cache on the CPU. It's only 256k on the 550 and 1st generation 667. The 400 + 500mhz had 512mb (I believe...certainly more than 256.) and the newer ones may have more still. I've built loads of TiBook 1 Gig Rigs and you can really 'work' on those.. its like working on a decent Tower!!

He can still work on the 550 though... He'll just need to use the freeze function more than on other (faster) models.
I have ProTools on my Book as well, and its plugin performance is quite abit worse than in Logic.. those RTAS plugs are soo bloody CPU hungry. So Logic is the way to go..

If he doesn't need a great output quality (like if cans is ok?) then stick with the builtin jack out. Adding a USB Interface sounds better, but its breaks up before the built-in output will.

Al.
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

Thanks Al.

Old 7th May 2003
Mac Moderator

Anytime Chris.... BTW.. I did mean 512k not mb!!! for the cache on the CPU Ddduuhhhh

Al.
Old 12th May 2003
Mindreader

I need something similar, but I need to be able to record 'passable' vocals for demo purposes on the road.

When I say passable I mean good enought to make out the song, doesn't have to be spectacular.

What's the emagic 2 in 6 out box like for audio? I know therre's one that has midi in now, and i want to get a tiny keyboard too.

So i guess I can monitor through the mac headphone socket.

Are there any miniscule portable speakers that are 'adequate'?

I'm thinking of:

New 12" TiBook
Logic 6
Firewire Drive
Tiny keyboard
Midi in
Audio in
Tiny speakers
Headphones
A microphone

The mic can be 'crap' ie self powered and able to record me bashing a guitar or someone singing some lyric ideas etc

I'm more concerned with portability than anything else.
Old 12th May 2003
Lives for gear

hi people some question and a little bit of info,

i also have the Ti550, (damn cache lacking ) and am running logic, not v6 but 4.8.1 under os9.

My interface for now is the emi2|6.
i bought it more than a year ago (had to wait several months for proper drivers ), and though is USB it works just fine. it has some limits, you can't have 24 bit at both ends (because of usb bandwidth limits), so it's either 24 bit stereo in + 6ch 16 bit out, or viceversa. Wait, maybe you can do 24 bit i/o if only stereo, i'll try to find out.

the sound is not bad for the price (i paid more than $500 but it goes for 350 or so). havent made deep tests but if i record the out of my S80 synth and play the recording against the synth out it sounds THE SAME. not an apogee but it certainly does the trick.
The best thing about the emagic emis is that they're the USB interfaces with the LOWEST LATENCY in the market. you can do 6ms perfectly, which means is absolutly adequate for playing exs24 instruments in real time, and it feels just like a hardware synth. Another great thing is that they're small an very portable, and get their power from the usb bus (on a mac laptop, Peecees are another story )

MCal,
do you have logic 6 with your Ti550? how many ptverbs under osx? exs24s? how do you like that combo?
I'm wondering what to do. To upgrade logic to 6 or sell the emi and get an mbox plus an external HD for my current Ti550 (and wait for the hypothetical 15"970 -someday), or sell my Ti to get the 12"alu (recording to internal HD) ... Or get a cheap baddas pc with mbox/001/nuendo... Damn
Old 12th May 2003
Mac Moderator

Bev,
If your just after an 'ideas' rig, then I would go with the builtin audio, rather than a USB Audio device. Besides the Emagic Audio interfaces don't take a mic, so either way you'd need a small mic pre or somethin' to hook a mic up to it.
The reason I bash on about using the Built-in sound as opposed to a usb device, is that all the USB devices act up before the Built-in sound output does. If you need pro quality then yep, get an Mbox or Emagic EMI. But I guarantee that you'll get sound artifacts on USB before you will on Builtin Core Audio. I have an Mbox because a) I love ProTools. b) I need to put capaciter mics into my TiBook. But if I didn't.. I'd think twice.
For the Keyboard, I'd go with a USB Attached/powered one. Like the Oxygen 8 or Evolution. Reasons: a) you don't need batteries and b) no seperate Midi Interface. I know you wouldn't need the Interface with the Emagic EMI6/2 which has midi built-in (under OSX) But you'd still need batteries or worse a mains adapter for your master keyboard...

so there ya go....

Al.
Old 12th May 2003
Mac Moderator

Jindrich,
I'll have ago at the platinum verb test soon as I have a moment... two Long days ahead of meso I'm hitting the sack early ;-)

"MCal,
do you have logic 6 with your Ti550? how many ptverbs under osx? exs24s? how do you like that combo?
I'm wondering what to do. To upgrade logic to 6 or sell the emi and get an mbox plus an external HD for my current Ti550 (and wait for the hypothetical 15"970 -someday), or sell my Ti to get the 12"alu (recording to internal HD) ... Or get a cheap baddas pc with"

Al.
Old 12th May 2003
Mindreader

I wonder what kind of very tiny mic pre I could use to get into the mini jack input. Perhaps I could use one of those self powered video location mics with a battery in it.
Old 13th May 2003
Lives for gear

I've been doing a little research for mobile audio for a while, and this is what there is for now (cheap solutions). Besides a mac 'book you'll need:

-if you mostly need to track with 1-2 condenser mics and must have something of not awful quality, best is digi's MBOX with included ptools LE (marginally better pres and a/d than 001)

-if your requirements point more towards sample playing -wich means no noticeable latency-, best is logic with exs24 sample player and EMI 2|6, plus m-audio's Oxygen KB as 2.5 octave midi kb

M-audio has just released a new version of Oxygen, called Ozone, wich is basically the same midi KB plus a 2ch I/O interface built in. One of the channels have XLR and brings phantom too, check it out:
OZONE
not quite sure about its latency if you want to fire samples thru its audio circuit though

You can have much better quality, budget permitting, with something like logic and apogee mini-me as interface (again oxygen as midi kb).
Another possibility would be metric halo's firewire audio interfaces.
Of course you can always bite the bullet and go for an HD2 with magma cardbus external pci expansion box (but logic as soft forefront heh )

hope this helps

Al,
looking forward to your test. please comment if it's the *standard* ptverb test or if you do something diferent (and whether you fire from internal hd...etc). exs24 abilities would be very appreciated too, as well as a *typical scenario* case: some tracks, some midi, some exs24, some plug and reverb.... how far can the ti550 go with logic6 under osx.
oh and BTW, you have the MBOX, logic 6.1 and esx24, so do they work together? i mean, with latency low enough as to be able to use the mbox for exs24 playback, in real time, from a midi KB? (if so i'll trade my EMI26 for an MBOX right now)

thanx
Old 13th May 2003
Mindreader

Good one about the keyboard with built in audio capability.

I'm trying to get a writing set up that PREVENTS me from being a gearslut ie Doesn't let me fiddle with the sound of the song 'cos it's FORCING me into demo land. I need to be able to record unsalvagable audio so I can concentrate on writing!
Old 13th May 2003
Lives for gear

I think maybe M-Audio should rename the Ozone the Phantom.

A month ago I purchased a 1gz 15in Powerbook assuming (incorrectly) that I would be able to turn around and get an Ozone to work with it.

USB audio, MIDI in and out, a little mic pre, all for $320?!?! And it can run on USB power alone? Hell yeah.

Btw, I am getting a mobile "ideas" rig going with LAP6, exs24, and all the other goodies.

Anyways, the tech guys at M-Audio, who love it when I call, tell me that it's going to be shipped mid month. Which is what they told me at the beginning of april.

So for the moment, my poor powerbook will continue being a nice place to send emails from and to play warcraft 3.

I'll report on the ozone when I get it. If I get it.

SIGH

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search