The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lesser Lights Among Omni Condensers
Old 16th August 2009
Gear Addict

I think the little blondies are the best bang for the buck out there, great little microphone (omni).
Old 16th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beef View Post
I think the little blondies are the best bang for the buck out there, great little microphone (omni).
Got a link?
Old 18th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris319 View Post
Got a link?

the user SAHIAMAN makes them

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...ondie-mic.html
Old 9th September 2009
Lives for gear

Follow-up:

A pair of omni capsules for the MXL 603/604/991 arrived and one was affixed to a 991 which had the critical ceramic capacitors replaced with film capacitors. It sounds just so-so. The capacitor mod helped out the low end but the high end has far less crispness and sparkle than the Naiant X-Q or the CAD e70.
Old 9th September 2009
Gear Addict

This will be no help to the OP, but I absolutely love my Blue OmniMouse microphones. Sorry, I know the OP intentionally excluded these from his list.

My 2 cents.
Old 9th September 2009
Lives for gear

He meant Behringer not Blue I'm pretty sure.

Man Chris you get everyone with that! heh

Your thoughts on the 603 omni caps is exactly how I felt about them.
Old 9th September 2009
Lives for gear

At $1,300 the OmniMouse is about $400 more than a Neumann KM 183.

Company "B" refers to a maker of cheep audio gear not reputed for its ruggedness and reliability. That excludes Blue and Beyer.

With apologies to Michael J., I'm glad I didn't send the MXL omni capsule in for machining.
Old 28th October 2009
Gear Nut

well after many tries I have jst got the ADK sc-t and so far it is great for acoustic guitar recording. a good top end but smooth and somehow it doesn't pick up the boom from the soundhole which makes it easy to set up. comes with omni and cardoid caps. I t looks much like alot of the generic sdc's form China, don't know if it's tweaked at all though. Seems very smooth for a chinese mic

the capsules have no hints as to which is omni and which cardoid. One has vents on the side, would that be the omni? They sound quite different but I am still not so sure which is which
Old 28th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spons View Post
the capsules have no hints as to which is omni and which cardoid. One has vents on the side, would that be the omni? They sound quite different but I am still not so sure which is which
Most times, it's the cardioids which have vents at the side. Omnis as pressure transducers don't need the sound to hit the diaphragm from both sides.
Old 28th October 2009
No vent =omni
Vent = cardioid

The vents are for letting sound in behind the diaphragm so it can be canceled out.
Old 29th October 2009
urumita

Amen
anyone tried Line from Sweden?
just checked, it's a card, but the quad version looks nifty
CM3 at around 100 bills, lo noise, high spl, it's not from China, pretty damn flat. cover the vents and you have yourself an omni though
Old 29th October 2009
Lives for gear

Has anyone actually tried simply taping the vents closed to make a cardioid into an omni? Surely there would be some problem with that, or else dedicated omni capsules on SDC's would be rather pointless.
Old 29th October 2009
The KSM141 operates on a the same principle. You just twist it and a cylinder closes the vents. Viola, now you have omni.
Old 29th October 2009
Lives for gear

Well yes, same as the Schoeps MK5. But, that's built in, so I'm sure they manufacture it to work perfectly. But tape, surely that doesn't properly seal the chamber?
Old 29th October 2009
Lives for gear

Being flexible, tape will conduct vibrations (sound) into the port. You need something solid to seal the port.
Old 29th October 2009
Lives for gear

The Line CM3 cardioid is $141.83 USD at today's exchange rate.
Old 29th October 2009
urumita

I have 3 CCM5 and it seems like a pretty well done mechanism, both positions sound great. Chewing gum might work better than tapeheh
I'm sure something could be devised
Old 29th October 2009
Lives for gear

hey bryan - i asked a similar question on the neumann forum a while back about modifying or closing off the vents on a cardioid. several interesting responses. here is the link:
Microphone Applications - Modifying the KM184?
Old 29th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beef View Post
They have a pleasant, warm, flattering but clear sound, for close placement. High self noise, I estimate somewhere between 25 and 28 db a-weighted, from comparison to Tram tr-50 lavalier. Quiet instruments with spaces of silence in the music could require having the mics mounted extremely close to the instrument. The polar pattern might be somewhere between an omni and a cardioid. The mic is small and lightweight.
Old 29th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7rojo7 View Post
Amen
anyone tried Line from Sweden?
just checked, it's a card, but the quad version looks nifty
CM3 at around 100 bills, lo noise, high spl, it's not from China, pretty damn flat. cover the vents and you have yourself an omni though
Yes I have used them side by side with Sennheisers and Earthworks. Very good mic's.

/Peter
Old 6th June 2013
Sorry to be reviving an old thread, but I'm in the market for some omni mics to record grand piano at home.

Where did you find al the self-noise data for Audio Technica 8010 ?
They do not quote it on the specs on their web site, nor do they quote it for the older similar ATM10a .

Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : AT8010 Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone

They do list self-noise for the more expensive AT4022 .

I can't find any used AT4022 but there are some ATM10a available used.
I wonder if I should skip the ATM10a and save up for a pair of new AT4022 .

Is there anything comparable to the AT4022 that doesn't cost $700 a pair ?

Quote:
Here's what I get for various models mentioned in this thread. S/N(A) was calculated as 94 - self-noise(A). All units are dBA.

Code:
                                                        Self  S/N

Rode NT1A (not an omni but very quiet)                    5    89

AT4022                                                   13    81
AT8010                                                   24    70
Avenson STO-2                                            28    66
Naiant XM/XQ                                             22    72
Rode NT55                                                15    79
Audix TR-40A                                             28    66
CAD e70                                                  23    71
Peluso CEMC6                                             14    80
Busman BSC1                                              17    77
Oktava MK-012 (unmodified)                               18    76
T.H.E. CR-6                                              17    77
MXL 604                                                  17    77

Schoeps MK 2                                             11    83
Neumann KM 183                                           13    81
Earthworks QTC series                                    22    72
Earthworks TC series                                     27    67
Josephson C617                                           14    80
DPA 4003                                                 15    79
Sennheiser MKH 8020                                      10    84
Old 6th June 2013
Lives for gear

madbrain - i have had excellent results with the relatively new Line Audio OM1 omnis as main mics on grand piano. they seem to work very well at near-field distances, and have beaten out my km183s and the AT4022's, both of which i also like very much.
Old 6th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
madbrain - i have had excellent results with the relatively new Line Audio OM1 omnis as main mics on grand piano. they seem to work very well at near-field distances, and have beaten out my km183s and the AT4022's, both of which i also like very much.
How near to the piano do you put the OM1s?
Old 6th June 2013
Lives for gear

spaced AB about 2-3 feet out from the curve.
Old 7th June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
Thanks !

I wasn't aware of these mikes. They are definitely in my price range.
I listened to the samples in the OM1 thread - most sound pretty good.

It seems Line audio is currently a 1-man operation, and there could be a long wait to get them.
Old 7th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrain View Post
It seems Line audio is currently a 1-man operation, and there could be a long wait to get them.
You can get not as good quicker, yup.
Old 7th June 2013
Lives for gear
Check with nohype audio on the OM1's before doing anything. I asked about another pair of CM3's this week and was pleasantly surprised to hear they would be shipping this week. Maybe you'll get lucky.
Old 7th June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
Check with nohype audio on the OM1's before doing anything. I asked about another pair of CM3's this week and was pleasantly surprised to hear they would be shipping this week. Maybe you'll get lucky.
I just did and was told they had an order cancellation for them.
I just ordered my pair. Comes out to $340 with the unfavorable exchange rate, but that's the price of one AT-4022 . Can't wait to receive them.

Thanks gearslutz !
Old 7th June 2013
Old 8th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
People talk about Schoeps, Earthworks, DPA, Avenson, Josephson, Neumann, Oktava and Peluso mics, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with some of the lesser lights among omnidirectional condensers. I'm referring to the AT4022 and AT8010, the Naiants, the Busman Audios, the CAD e70, the THE mics, etc. (I'm intentionally leaving out brand "B", and I don't mean Beyerdynamic). Do any of these hold a candle to the brighter lights?

I'm interested in true pressure transducers rather than multipattern mics.
The brand "B" is not so bad. One can get the Behringer B-5 as new for less than 70 € including cardioid and omi capsules. With the cardioid capsule it sounds close to the Neumann KM 184.
Here a test of the omni capsule compared with the Neumann KM 133 D.
Attached Files

B5_omni.mp3 (3.53 MB, 947 views)

KM 133.mp3 (3.53 MB, 898 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search