The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audience recording
Old 28th April 2003
Lives for gear

Audience recording

What do you mobile gearslutz do when recording audience? What mics? What do you try to capture, mostly audience or venue ambience? How does your approach change when recording for 5.1?

---- I just noticed how many audience rec threads have already started. No need for another. Keep moving, nothing to see here.-----
Old 30th April 2003
Super Moderator

Did somebody say "Audience"?

I did an audience search in the Remote possibilities Forum.
Not all relate to your original topic, but many do...
Old 7th May 2003
Gear Guru

last weekend...12 mics for audience for DVD...2-mkh70's on the outside of stage on sub stacks pointing at middle of venue (no rumble it wwas comedy)...inside of those 2-mkh60's pointing at the seating just in front of the stage but on the outer sides...2 - countryman lavs taped to the stage as poormans PZM's...2 - octava 012's hangong from the balcony about halfway back in theatre (hypercardioid)...2 sony shotgun mics on LP clamps attached to the lighting grid on the edge of the balcony ( during the 1st show some guy thought the mike was in his eyeline so he pushes the mic over and it is facing a guy that cannot help but pound his fist on the balcony lip and laugh like a jackass through the entire show)...and 2 - gefell mics at the very back of the house...gets you best of all worlds...in your face and overall room...i would love an criticism on this technique...putting a lav on everyone in the audience was going to eat up too much cable.......oh and it was video so everything had to be hidden, gaff taped black or behind the camera line........if any of you are Margaret cho fans you will dig this DVD....

peace john
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

For indoor venues, I like using 414s in fig for the rear pair. Aim the null at the line array or PA stack and you're done with the rears. It works very well a increasing the depth of venue impression for surround mixes. Give it a try.
Old 15th May 2003
Gear Guru

sounds cool...i don't have 414's but i do have a pair of 6Tm groove tubes mics that have a fig 8 pattern..

thanks for the reply....

john

thanks again for jules and this forum....nothing but great info and none of the DUC bullshit..
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear