The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need to mic flute, melodica, and harmonica on one mic
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Need to mic flute, melodica, and harmonica on one mic

I'm starting a session tonight where there is a multi-intstrumentalist in the band that plays flute, melodica, and harmonica and switches between them for different parts of different songs. I can't afford to set up three different mics because I'm already maxed out on channels for all the other instruments in the band. Some of the mics I have that are not already being used on other instruments are:

SM57
Shure 545
EV RE16
U99
MD421
Oktava MC012

I was thinking that the RE16 might work. What would you guys choose as the best compromise?

thanks,
Brad
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I'd personally use either the U99 or the MC012.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear
Yes, I'd probably use the Octavia in that list as well...
treat it like a vocal essentially.

I'd position the mic in about the right post for the flute and then let him maneouvre himself into position for the other two.

or if he's an experienced guy, ASK him where's a good spot to put the mic so he can make the switches.
A good guy will show you; and either way you will have enlisted his cooperation in making it work.

the only slightly tricky thing is that both flute and melodica want the mic looking down at them, while harmonica wants the mic more straight on.
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply. I was just thinking about what you mentioned about the flute and melodica wanting the mic loooking down. The harmonica will live with the compromised position. It's only on one song evidently.

Okay Oktava it is. Thanks!

Brad

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search