The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tascam X48 for Remote Recording...
Old 13th January 2006
Super Moderator

So,

I just heard from my Tascam Rep that the X48 will be shipping in May 2006.
Old 20th January 2006
Lives for gear

Sure

And Chinese Democracy of GNR will be launched in March.
( Im kidding )
Old 20th January 2006
Super Moderator

I wish I was kidding about the X48 shipping in May 2006.
Old 21st January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness
I wish I was kidding about the X48 shipping in May 2006.
I was at NAMM yesterday and Tascam says May. They had a working unit, but when I asked to see it record 48 tracks at 96 Khz they admitted it couldn't do that yet.

Mark
Old 22nd January 2006
Lives for gear

Why

Tascam X48 claim 48 @ 96khz in all announcements and store banners !
Why they doing this campaign ? Mean, if the thing do because do, or dont ?

Old 23rd January 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrplace
I was at NAMM yesterday and Tascam says May. They had a working unit, but when I asked to see it record 48 tracks at 96 Khz they admitted it couldn't do that yet.

Mark
Well, so far they are only behind their original ship date by
5-6 months. (Warning signal anyone?)
EDIT:(Wow, a year late. I was only going by my experience).

I ask about this unit last August and was told it would be shipping at
the end of 2005.

Wow, and how long ago did Tascam drop support for the MX-2424?
Just the mention of the X-48 and support for the MX-2424 got strange.

I was told the Tascam/Timeline thing didn’t work out. And Timeline
when bankrupt.

As an owner of two MX-2424s I’m heading towards a RADAR.

(Just a studio owner, not affiliated with either company or any dealer).
But support is key to me.
Old 23rd January 2006
Super Moderator

I placed my purchase order for two Tascam X48s in May 2005. At that time I was told it would ship July 2005. Then it was moved to October 2005 (around AES time)...

Then it was Sometime in January.... The latest update has been stated above.

Well, so far they are only behind their original ship date by 12 months.
(I don't mind as long as it works when it finally comes out.)
Old 30th March 2006
Super Moderator

So, now we're talking about a delivery date of July 2006.
Old 31st March 2006
Gear Maniac

This is not bearing well for Tascam, is it?

They used to be one of my go-to companies, and their performance over the past bunch of years in support of the pro market has been lack-lustre at best.

When this finally comes out, will it already be out of date?

Just some out-loud meadering thoughts...
Old 31st March 2006
Super Moderator

I hear you and I think Tascam knows they better get it right, right from the start -- IMO, that's why they're taking forever.

It's one thing to build a nice looking front plate and say it does all these groovy things. It's quite another thing to make it so.

I'm hoping for the best... Only time will tell. If they do get it right this will be a very cool box to have at the price point it will sell at.

If they fail, it shall be the RADAR and/or Genex route for us.
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness
I hear you and I think Tascam knows they better get it right, right from the start -- IMO, that's why they're taking forever.

It's one thing to build a nice looking front plate and say it does all these groovy things. It's quite another thing to make it so.

I'm hoping for the best... Only time will tell. If they do get it right this will be a very cool box to have at the price point it will sell at.

Time for a bump on this topic, methinks...

Any word from your sources on the X48 release, Steve?

I'm already a RADAR owner and am VERY happy with that. Given the price point of the X48, I would, though, *seriously* consider it as our secondary record path...I don't like using our computer as a recording machine even though I built it from the ground up and am confident at its operation, I still prefer dedicated machines for that, and the X48 would fit the bill.

Having said that, I'm still not feeling very confident with any release dates they mention...as much as I want to believe in Tascam for purely historical reasons, their actions continually belie their intent to support the pro market.

I'm hoping that you're right...I'd rather them take extra time and get it right than to rush it out and have it fail badly. On the other hand its more than a bit forboding that this device has taken so long to come out.

We will see...

Cheers
Click.
Old 29th November 2006
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrplace View Post

Mark
From what I understand, unfortunately the X48 has been pushed back to January 2007 and there is no guarantee it will ship then.

As you many already know, TEAC hired an outside company to do the software and they are behind schedule to say the least.
Old 28th December 2006
Lives for gear

In My Minds Eye

An 80GB internal drive (as advertised) is starting to look seriously tiny.

I wonder if this machine can record 48 tracks at 96K to an external firewire drive......

I wonder if this machine will ever actually exist for consumption.......
Old 28th December 2006
Super Moderator

I wonder what San Wave has to say about the serious delay since they designed the software for the box?
Old 28th December 2006
We at Tascamforums.com

Hi there,

We at Tascamforums stopped talking about the X-48. It could be cause now they can implement Vista Embedded. Wich will work with the signed audiodrivers wich are allowed to crash without crashing the core. This way it will be way faster to determine what went wrong.

Sanewave created the Mackie DXB 200 mixer and it has never flown.

I hope this is the cause for the delay. In that case it is good they put the machine on hold. The new IFFWDM MKII will be released on the side and the X48 Vista together with a DM4800 would be delicious.

Muziekschuur
Moderator Tascamforums.com
Old 28th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziekschuur View Post
We at Tascamforums stopped talking about the X-48. It could be cause now they can implement Vista Embedded.

Sanewave created the Mackie DXB 200 mixer and it has never flown....
Groan.... maybe they should be called "Insane Wave".... Vista embedded?

I don't want Microsoft in my music hardware either.
Old 28th December 2006
Super Moderator

Man, oh man!
Old 28th December 2006
Lives for gear

Doesn't the Digi "Venue" use embedded Windows XP as it's operating system (only)? Anyone on the remote board have any experience with one? Expecially in regards to reliability/crashing, etc.?
Old 30th December 2006
Lou Judson
Heard about this thread on DAW-MAC, and thought I'd check in to see if there have been any developments yet. I moved from 002 and Mac for remotes to an HD24 which serves my needs just fine.

Any news on the Tascam?

<L>
Old 30th December 2006
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
From what I understand, unfortunately the X48 has been pushed back to January 2007 and there is no guarantee it will ship then.

As you many already know, TEAC hired an outside company to do the software and they are behind schedule to say the least.

Yeah, this is the latest information I got from the Tascam Rep...

I trust this will not go in the same direction Sanewave's sMackie DXB 200 mixer did!

I'm going to light a few candles and prey to the Audio Gods for an early release date...

Come on now, it's almost two years since I ordered mine.

I ready and able to play with this sucker in January 2007. Please don't make it May 2007.
Old 2nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post

Here is an idea... get a Radar or so, and an all TONELUX front end, that way you know everything will be perfect... just ask Barry and Paul

I have never run accross two guys who come off so arrogant that seem to allways get it right... you listen to them talk and think, "man, how cocky" heh , then you hear the gear and go, "well, they arent lying at least..."
Old 2nd January 2007
I use Alesis HD-24's and they are very comfortable...

Muziekschuur
Old 4th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I use Alesis HD-24's and they are very comfortable...

Muziekschuur
Not if you need to sync it to outside gear. I stand by many past comments I made about the HD24 being prosumer at its best. Does an adequate job by itself, but falls down badly when it needs to work with the outside world. Very badly.

But don't get me started on it. I'm still bitter at trying it the "official" way yesterday and still find it too damn kludgy to put into operation in a broadcast setting. I'll use it as a standalone for small remotes, or as a non-sync'd backup, but its never going to integrated into my truck.

Which is why the tascam X48 was so promising.

I've been bugging my Tascam rep for awhile and I can tell he's getting tired of the excuses as well. (Of course, he won't say that publicly, but if you read between the lines, the tone is definitely there). I've started to consider it vapour ware, because, honestly, after this amount of time, I have a hard time thinking that they will get it right and that, even internally, Tascam has lost interest in this one.

I hope they prove me wrong, but it is yet another nail in their coffin that supports what a lot of people have been saying that they've abandoned their pro market roots. You, Muziekschuur are much more closer and more informed than I, so give me some hope to cling to, but I'm really thinking the X48 a dead dog.
Old 4th January 2007
HD24, X48

Hi,

I use the HD24 connected to a Tascam DM24. I'm told it helps if you use a Motu Timepiece together with the HD24, wich will give you ADAT sync to RS422 (wich gives you connection to the outside world over RS422 or over MIDI) conversion. After that you should be good in linking as much HD24's together as nessesary to do the job.

About the X48. At Tascamforums we aren't exactly close to Tascam. Tascam itself keeps a distance to our privately owned and user sponsored forum. Tascam had a forum theirselves once. But they closed it around 2001. I haven't heard anything yet about the machine itself.

If they intent to allow selected VST plugins on the X-48 platform it seems logical to wait for Vista, a new embedded BEOS (wich runs on the SX-1) or OSX. Vista seems the most logical.

Most VST plugins were developed on XP. If a VST crashes on XP it will crash the operating system. Vista has a audiosystem wich operates, and can stop, without crashing the core. So any problem with the machine will be (hypothetically) user traceable. Before such a system is developed and properly tested Tascam should not release the X48.

If Tascam uses concepts in it's new recorder wich are timeline based (wich was the company that created the MX2424 for Tascam) it could have legal issues wich could explain the delay aswell.

I remember the VM7000 system by Roland clearly. It is a very complicated system wich can do everything we wish for in the Protools Venue systems and for instance the XL8 by Midas. It has cost Roland dearly. And I think this company is still recovering from that era.

Tascam wants the DM-3200/X48 or US2400/X48 to become such a projectstudio recording system. If not well implemented they should not try.

Muziekschuur
Old 4th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hi,

I use the HD24 connected to a Tascam DM24. I'm told it helps if you use a Motu Timepiece together with the HD24, wich will give you ADAT sync to RS422 (wich gives you connection to the outside world over RS422 or over MIDI) conversion. After that you should be good in linking as much HD24's together as nessesary to do the job.
I too initially used the HD-24 in that manner, which, as you suggested,works fairly well. You don't get direct feedback from the machine that it has, for example, armed the tracks as you think, but the transport works well. THe problem is, that the timecode sync still doesn't work in this method. I do own the timepiece as well and there are still issues...kludgy enough that I don't trust the solution fully integrated in my truck...which is a shame.

But I digress...

Quote:

About the X48. At Tascamforums we aren't exactly close to Tascam. Tascam itself keeps a distance to our privately owned and user sponsored forum. Tascam had a forum theirselves once. But they closed it around 2001. I haven't heard anything yet about the machine itself.
I was an active user at the tascam forum when they closed it (Jace was THE man!). That was the beginning of the end of my love in with Tascam.

Quote:

If they intent to allow selected VST plugins on the X-48 platform it seems logical to wait for Vista, a new embedded BEOS (wich runs on the SX-1) or OSX. Vista seems the most logical.

Most VST plugins were developed on XP. If a VST crashes on XP it will crash the operating system. Vista has a audiosystem wich operates, and can stop, without crashing the core. So any problem with the machine will be (hypothetically) user traceable. Before such a system is developed and properly tested Tascam should not release the X48.

If Tascam uses concepts in it's new recorder wich are timeline based (wich was the company that created the MX2424 for Tascam) it could have legal issues wich could explain the delay aswell.

I remember the VM7000 system by Roland clearly. It is a very complicated system wich can do everything we wish for in the Protools Venue systems and for instance the XL8 by Midas. It has cost Roland dearly. And I think this company is still recovering from that era.

Tascam wants the DM-3200/X48 or US2400/X48 to become such a projectstudio recording system. If not well implemented they should not try.

Muziekschuur
You make some excellent points and I agree that they can't release it if a) it doesn't work as advertised and b) if they are waiting for something like Vista.

The problem is, they need to communicate that. Yes, there'll be some egg on face to be worn, but these continual "its coming" announcements are really only buying them bad faith. One solid official announcement of "This is the official timeline, we are waiting for x, y and z, please bear with us" would go a very long way.

Thanks for the information as you know it, though!!!

Cheers
Old 4th January 2007
At Tascam

We have tried communicating with Tascam America. There was some initial contact. But along the way we lost this. The technical staff at Teac/Tascam is partly japanese partly americain. The marketing is only in America. It is my believe the Japanese TEAC board dictates, and Tascam marketing America follows with only one lightbulb above their yellow road.

Marketing in japan seems something different. I think there will be no further announcements about the x48. It may be thumbs up or thumbs down.

At this moment the rumour is Sanewave is taken off the development of the IFFWDM mkII and development is back to Japan. Imagine. If the new Iffwdm mkII does 32in/32out, what is the need for an x48?

The x48 probably still is a Sanewave development. Because of recent history Sanewave is in a dfficult position. I imagine both Mackie are waiting for Sanewave to die, so they can take back the development of all them products.

Muziekschuur
Old 26th March 2007
Super Moderator

Well, my rep call me last week to tell my my two X48s will be shipping. I expect them to arrive this week...

I'm one of the first 25 folks that placed the order almost two years ago.

I WILL report back once I test these puppies out.
Old 26th March 2007
Lives for gear

I'll look forward to your review. I just bought an HD24 and plan on buying another when funds allow. Hopefully by then I will be able to sell the HD24 and buy an X48 instead.
Old 27th March 2007
Super Moderator

Did you get an HD24 or an HD24XR?

If you don't mind me asking -- How much did you pay for it?

In any event, wait until the good news pour out before you think of buying any new recorder system!

Hey, this unit maybe awesome, but you never know until it's out in the field getting used and abused.
Old 27th March 2007
Lives for gear

I got the old version. I plan on buying 3 external preamps/AD converters, so the XR wasn't worth the extra $500 (money I can put into the preamps). I got it on "the 'Bay" for $999. That's about the going rate used, but one ended today, less than 24 hours after I bought mine, for around $700. Oh well.

I'm not counting my chickens yet, and it will be a while before I need to move up to 48 tracks (even though I'm renting a second HD24 for an April show). But I am interested to hear the news, good or bad.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search