The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone record female theater singers need good vox chain suggestions?
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Anyone record female theater singers need good vox chain suggestions?

I am in the process of recording theater singers. Some lean toward classical (big round voices both male and female). All of them project their voices, especially the theater people who are taught to project there voices for stage, have a sharp, bright, almost a head tone sound.

With the female singers this has presented a recording challenge for me.

I'm using ProTools with Apogee Rosetta 200, Great River Pre and a Soundelux U99. I want to add another mic, pre combo specifically for the females. My current chain seems to be working well for the males.

I'm not worried about cutting through the instruments on the mix. Some of the music is strings and voice only. Music is not overproduced (not necessarily bad).

I do not want to buy a vintage mic because I will not be able to maintain it. Knockoffs are fine, I have one, the U99 and I like the mic.

Anyone with experiece recording classical and theater voices, your input would be helpful. New to the forum. THanks for your help!

Santo
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I wound up with a CMV53 with the M7 capsule, into a brent averill 1272 into a neve 33609, straight into PTHD. That worked well for me for a female voice. Strong female voice.

I hope that helps you. That was ONE person, on ONE reocrd.
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Maniac

Hey,

Thanks for getting back!!!

Alto, Soprano, Mezzo?

Theater or Classical?

Type of music?

Santo
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo
I am in the process of recording theater singers. Some lean toward classical (big round voices both male and female). All of them project their voices, especially the theater people who are taught to project there voices for stage, have a sharp, bright, almost a head tone sound.

With the female singers this has presented a recording challenge for me.

I'm using ProTools with Apogee Rosetta 200, Great River Pre and a Soundelux U99. I want to add another mic, pre combo specifically for the females. My current chain seems to be working well for the males.

I'm not worried about cutting through the instruments on the mix. Some of the music is strings and voice only. Music is not overproduced (not necessarily bad).

I do not want to buy a vintage mic because I will not be able to maintain it. Knockoffs are fine, I have one, the U99 and I like the mic.

Anyone with experiece recording classical and theater voices, your input would be helpful. New to the forum. THanks for your help!

Santo
I do a fair amount of Classical and theater recording. For female voices, I find the u99 into my Summit TPA-200 works very well. If its too bright, I use the Soundelux E49 into a Crane Song Spider. Works great. The E49 takes eq well and also works great with soprano voices . Sometimes I have to add a little high eq to get it just right. I hope this helps a little.
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

a 414 with a good limiter sounds nice on any female vocal
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I do a fair amount of Classical and theater recording. For female voices, I find the u99 into my Summit TPA-200 works very well. If its too bright, I use the Soundelux E49 into a Crane Song Spider. Works great. The E49 takes eq well and also works great with soprano voices . Sometimes I have to add a little high eq to get it just right. I hope this helps a little.
This very helpful. I have been going back and forth between an E49 and an E250. Both were recommended by the mic dealer for my application.

As far as a 414. My memory of this mic is that it is kind of thin sounding on most applications. Good for background vocals. I have returned to recording after a decade hiatiis.

Santo
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Maniac

One other thing. I had considered an AEA R84, but I was talked out of it by the mic dealer. When you look at the frequency response, you could conclude that it might work with bright, thin female voices.

http://www.wesdooley.com/images/R84curve.jpg

Anyone have experience with AEA R84 ribbon with this application?

Santo
Old 5th May 2006
Super Moderator

Here's a thread that was dead in the waters...

It's a bit late but, maybe we can add some ideas for future reference
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

For theatre voices, I use the U57, U69, U87, U47Feti, and (often-despised on these boards, but mine sound great!) Neumann TLM103, in addition to the AEA R84 which I find is EXCELLENT on male baritone and bass voices, and I have also chosen it for the rare screechy female vocalist.

I think for someone who wanted to NOT use vintage, the Soundelux, Lawson, and Korby mics are a great direction.

Jim

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search