The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recent gig
Old 16th April 2003
Lives for gear

Recent gig

Steve, I read your Email and will promise to do my part to post on this forum. I'm more than willing to write about my remotes, but they often aren't very exciting. This week was the university of Pittsburgh mens Glee Club, A very talented group that does everything from barbershop to classical. The venue was the cavalry methodist church in Pittsburgh a Large Gothic structure with a multi-domed ceiling (photo 1). A few days before the gig I ran a tef test on the room, and listened back to various choral CDs in the space through meyer HD1s. I then walked the room listening for sweet spots. (lo tech I know!!!) when I found some, I set up my mics (Details coming) and ran my altiverb impulses to my da98. this way i can use the rooms response as reverb during mixdown. Often I add this with my far room pair which can get wrecked w/folks coughing etc. The R/T was about 2.5 sec with a warm rich decay from the wood ceiling and floors, and plaster walls. Because of the multiple domes, It seemed like 4 or 5 distinct decays sounding concurrently. Because we were also recording a chamber orchestra at the studio at the same time, we had to share mics and pres.grudge I decided on the true precision 8 channel box, to a da98 with a wackie 1604 as mon. I set up 8 mics as follows, 2 km 84s in an xy above 2 U87s In MS config about 20 feet out on center, A wide pair of semi-omni senn mkh 20s 30 feet out and 40 ft wide and a pair of earthworks tc30s near the rear of the room spaced 70 feet apart pointed 45 degrees up. The church has fantastic 40 foot stained glass windows which added to the great vibe.(photo 2) I left my new 20 yr old employee Joel there to capture the concert.(photo 3) I'll post the results.
Attached Thumbnails
Recent gig-cav-meth.jpg  
Old 16th April 2003
Lives for gear

Stained glass window
Attached Thumbnails
Recent gig-wind.jpg  
Old 16th April 2003
Lives for gear

Joel Flying SOLO!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Recent gig-joel.jpg  
Old 16th April 2003
Lives for gear

rear choral loft/ control room
Attached Thumbnails
Recent gig-choral-loft.jpg  
Old 16th April 2003
Super Moderator

Thanks!

Nice photos.
Old 25th April 2003
Here for the gear

Great pix from my hometown... cool! Why do I get the feeling that if I recorded anything there it would sound like it was in the bottom of a well?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear