The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
no studio?
Old 13th April 2003
Lives for gear

no studio?

I wonder how many remote guys manage to get by without maintaining a "proper" studio space? I'm currently 1/3 owner of a studio in rental space and I'm beginning to think that I might be better off without the studio. I"m using it as little more than storage space (and with a storage space my gear wouldn't be getting constant use and occasional abuse.) The type of work that I need to do after a location recording could easily be done in one of those "edit bays" that are available all over LA for nominal hourly rents. Even better, I could look for an existing studio that has a spare 150sf to 200sf room and rent just that as my own private control room / staging area. In my current situation everything is shared so there is no private space at all.

Worst case, a well situated storage space for the gear and I rent someplace for the post-production work. Or do you guys thing a "real studio" is part of doing business, even location type work?

steve
[email protected]
Old 13th April 2003
Lives for gear

Hey, anytime you can eliminate overhead and maintain you business income, I say go for it!
Old 13th April 2003
Super Moderator

There are many different situations out there. Some remote companies own studios and/or studio space for there truck(s). Others park their trucks near rehearsal or sound stages and use their truck as the control room. Others do just fine, totally on wheels, with the world as their studio.

My operation falls between all the lines. The world is my studio space, I mix 95% of my stuff in my truck and I park my vehicles inside my field shop. We have used the shop as a full production facility operation when necessary.

I don''t have a true studio space at the field shop, but we utilize the expando truck as a studio space when applicable. I've also recorded some stuff by building a studio out of our portable tube traps and such right the shop.

When we really need a large space, we try to find one that fits everyone's needs and make that our recording room. Obviously, all the live stuff we've recorded happens at the particular venues we dock at. No recording studios were harmed while recording our live dates. heh

It's hard for me to be objective when it comes to owning a "real" recording studio. I've been recording on location and doing the remote thang since I was 18 years old. I don't care for "perfect sounding" rooms. I like the challenge of making an "OK" room sound awesome. Or should I say, finding the perfect mic and mic placement in a not so perfect room or situation. Whether I'm in a crappy space or a wonderful one, I try to get the best out of it. I make every effort to get "my sound" on tape (or other recordable media) whether I need to or not. heh

Hey, storage space is a good thing. May 2003 will be one year since we moved into our new space and we already ran out of space. Luckily for us we have a large side and back yard. I plan to drop a couple of Air/Sea containers for more storage and stuff.

You gear doesn't have to get any abuse. A studio is only as good as the clients and personnel it keeps. IMO, the quality of your clients and associates is the key to proper equipment handling. Sharing works when everyone respects each others stuff.

You got the right idea my friend. A spare 200sf (or so) room in an existing space seems just right for your situation. Your own private control room and staging area sounds perfect to me!

A "real studio" can be a perfect part of doing business too. Look at Effanel Music, they got a few vehicles, various portable rigs, a kickass recording space and mix room in NYC to boot. thumbsup

It's all about economics. Are you ready for a full blown operation or do you think you can start with your new idea and build to that "dream" operation?

Keep us posted on your developments. thumbsup

I hope this helped.
Old 13th April 2003
Lives for gear

I work out of a spare room in my apartment... I wish I had a better/larger space, but the money it saves me in rent is well worth it...

I can spend $$ on gear or rent... Seems like a no-brainer to me

When I need a real studio space, I rent one. There are SO many good rooms here in town, I can find whatever I need, usually at a good price. Heck, I can get a 72 input NeveVR and a room big enough for a 35 person orchestra for $75/hour. With competition like that, how could I afford to keep a room running?

I use my room here as a editing/mixing/DAW space. I have a great setup and the cost of running it is minimal.

--Ben
Old 14th April 2003
Lives for gear

My problem is that I have absolutely no room at home, not even enough space to store the gear that travels to gigs. So, at a minimum, I need to spend $100/month on a ground floor, roll-in/roll-out, storage space. But I'd really like to find an up-market studio that has a room to sublet. Even a little 150sf room would give me a nice little listening/editing room with a corner for storing road cases. The obvious advantage to locating my space in a larger studio is that I could probably negotiate for common area privileges (restroom, kitchen, paid access to the live room, etc.) But if I have to go the storage space route, I'll need to still find some place where I can rent a room by the hour and move in my monitoring system and recorders, etc.

I've never had a problem sharing rehearsal spaces, apartments, hell, just about anything. But sharing my studio gear and space just has not been working......

thanks for the tips.

steve
[email protected]
Old 14th April 2003
Lives for gear

I must confess, I do keep a large portion of my stuff in a storage place... Shop around and you can find some good deals out there. Yes, it's LA and most of the stuff is way overpriced. I live on the west side and most storage places are $90-$120/month for a small room. I found a place that is $64. It just takes a bit of looking, though.

My spare bedroom in my Apt. is about 120 sq. feet plus a small closet. It is cramped, but it does the job.

--Ben

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search