The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HD24 / Remote Site Recording
Old 6th July 2005
Here for the gear

Talking HD24 / Remote Site Recording

So I plan on doing some remote recording, want to make the best of it. My brothers group is doing well, and being a gearslutz I am, I've decided to spend money on a possible remote rig.

My proposed setup (please correct me when im wrong):

HD24 (Non XR/96k version, I think 24/48 is fine for me)
A&H Mix Wiz 16:2 (for pre's and mixer to cdr backup. I've considered a pair of OctoPre's or other preamps, a little bit more costly but I worry about being able to monitor my input signal and having a possible 2 track backup)

Pair of AT4040
Pair of AT3035

Im thinking of maybe a pair of Sennheiser 906's which i've used on guitar cabs before, works well. Or maybe a pair of blue balls or maybe both. The kit is miced up pretty well (shure kit) and the vocals use Beta-87c's.

Hardest thing to find (I have no clue to to contact or where to purchase) but I need a splitter snake, prefered if it was isolated, 24 channels (I may not go with the mix wiz and go with something that has 24 channels...or have a few spare channels incase). Where...Who...How can I get a spitter snake.

All together im shooting around 4-5k for the gear plus around another grand or so for extra snake runs, mic cables and a few more microphone stands.

(already have)
Audix D6 (bass drum)
Several Countryman DI's
Firepod (@*#&er works with my PC but not my compaq/adaptec laptop/firewire card combo)
AT2020 (freebie)
Several MXL Microphones (several freebies) 1-992 Several 990's and a pair of 993's.
Several SM57's and 58's
Various microphone stands and microphone cables (need more)
Cheap monitors (need to get a better set of monitors)
Sony 706 headphones

I have a bunch of stuff with my live SR FOH rig, but I really want to keep the two seperated. And I dont want to steal two much from the studio (hince im only giving up the MXL's and a few of my 57's and my spare audix microphone...Rode and Neuman stay at home).

Thanks for your help!!!!
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

Talking

Wireworks, Whirlwind, & Ramtech all make good units. I've heard Pro-Co makes a small splitter, I'm not sure. Ramtech always has specials on their website. You can also do ACTIVE splitting in blocks of 2-12 depending on manufacturer, BSS, XTA, Midas/Klark Teknik, and US Audio all have decent active units. (I prefer the XTA DS800 or the KT unit which is basically the Midas H3000 preamp.)

What I have found myself doing often is purchasing mic preamps that have multiple outputs and sending discrete sends to FOH mix and recording. I take the monitor of the record channel to the 2-mix so I know what is hitting the machine.

I think you're much better off getting good mics, good mic preamps, and good cables going into good converters. From personal experience, I started cheap and slowly moved up and noticed every upgrade. These days, I know when its worth spending the extra money to get a great sound from a great performance and when it is OK to capture the stuff that will be fluff with cheaper pre's.

Depending on where you are located, lots of people RENT splitters and it may be worth the experience to learn what passive and active splits of different manufacturers sound like. Guys like Steve, Kooster, Hewitt, and Randy have experienced all sides of the split and know what you can do- when you're starting out, you will want to hear your options, just like you want to know what an original Fender '59, Lap Steel, or dobro are going to sound like compared to the 'normal' guitars we experience daily.

Jim vB
Old 7th July 2005
Super Moderator

JvB,

Exactly, totally on point.

Well said bro!
Old 7th July 2005
Here for the gear

Jim,

Thanks for the response, Im going to look at several of those brands.

Now to backup a bit and I should of stated this before, I've had a few years (15...yikes...that long ago) working FOH is increasing levels and i've done several good size shows. I've likened to use whirlwind spitters on stage with a monitor/foh mix, but when your live it's harder to tell those nuances of splitters then when recording.

Great post and has lots of insight...one must remember its impossible to get perfect on the first round of purchases....in fact, I think it creates character. What fun is it striving to make things better....when its perfect.

I work professionally in the IT field (unix administrator) and if everything was perfect (and often I wish it was) life as the admin would get boring....think maytag man.
Old 7th July 2005
Lives for gear

Phillip,

It will be worth your while to get the HD24XR, the converters sound better (even in 44/48) than the HD24.

Do you need a splitter? Can you monitor from the outs of the HD24(XR!)?
Old 7th July 2005
Here for the gear

David,

Yes, getting the splitter seems to be the hardest thing to locate. Some of the FOH locations I will be peering with dont have direct outs, so I want to make my system as transparent as possible.

Thanks for your insite, I think the XR is the way to go.

Phil
Old 8th July 2005
Gear Nut

I battle-tested my HD24 once on a live gig. It worked just fine. Now, how long it will stand up to road torture is anyone's guess, but so far so good. It's too-computer-like for my taste, but I guess it's all I have now. But then, my DA-78s weren't exactly stellar...but that's another story.

I've heard rave reviews about the XR, but alas, it was out of my budget.

On that one gig, I hooked it up as I have every other recorder I've had: mics ->pres or upper channels of the console (A&H GL2200-432) -> recorder -> channels 1-16 (or -24) of the console. L + R went to the P.A., aux sends 1 - 4 went to monitors, auxes 5 & 6 to FX. For an on-site, L + R go to little studio monitors and the auxes go to a headphone mixer or the bandroom's "P.A."

So yeah, you can monitor from the HD24.

But it's still not analog... :-(

-GRW
Old 8th July 2005
Here for the gear

I have to remeber to start small, even though its analog I have to remember its just a live recording, abit a hopefully good sounding one.
Old 9th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrw
It's too-computer-like for my taste, but I guess it's all I have now.
I do not understand this-- if it were any more like a tape deck it would have reel adapters!

I have a HD24 and love it-- simple and bullet-proof. And the FST connect is REALLY slick. Or as they say on "American Chopper," really SICK.

Rich
Old 12th July 2005
Gear Nut

Hey, forgot about this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonare
I do not understand this-- if it were any more like a tape deck it would have reel adapters!

I guess it's because it uses a hard drive and not tape. Simple as that. It's just one of those irrational fears I need to get over.

And I will!

-GRW

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search