The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Remote recording advice
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Talking Remote recording advice

I just got asked to do a remote recording for a friend. I haven't done one in years and definitely not since I have been in LA. I could use some advice. The premise is to reocord a gospel concert being put on at a church.

I figure I can just rent splitter, a console and some form of recorder, but not having done it in a while, I'm not quite up to date on the best ways.

I don't suspect it's gonna be much of a budget, so I don't know if a remote recording company is ging to be affordable. But I geuss the question is how much a low budget remote recording truck would cost and some of the ones in the area (if any). OR a company I could rent gear needed (such as a splitter, live console (or maybe just a rack of pres) and some type of recorder. The recorder is the area I am out of date on. What is everyone using these days? The Tascam, the Mackie, Pro Tools, RADAR?

I used to do a lot of remote gigs for some TV shows (that featured concerts), but it's beena while and I don't have that gear anymore, nor know the places to go in LA for it.

Thanks guys!
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

For Stable recording, I am biased, I use the Radar 24.. It does not crash.. Sounds Phenomal....
Rent that and some API rack gear with the mixer options and be done with it...
(easy to move around)
PS- You can learn how to do basic recording functions on the radar in about 10 minutes. Just like an old analog tape machine...

Just make sure to rent the session controller with it and get a Radar 24, not a Radar I or II .. It has larger drive space, Built in CD/DVD burner as well..

Great support at IZCORP as well..

As far as a stable pro tools system goes.. Good luck ... dfegad
Old 29th June 2005
Gear Guru

Okay, I know your name is Johnny Clueless, but are you truly unaware that just a few forums down on the main menu is an entire forum dedicated to Remote recording??
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq
Okay, I know your name is Johnny Clueless, but are you truly unaware that just a few forums down on the main menu is an entire forum dedicated to Remote recording??
Sorry, I actually have never looked since it's not something I really do. I only check 3 groups and didn't even think to check.
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

I did recording on a 48 track protools system sync'd to video we recorded for 3 days - 12 hours per day we ended up with 800 GB of audio not one crash. We tied into the spilt (3way) so that was pretty easy. We did not use a console all outboard pre's. All the monitoring was done in PT for the rough mixes. It all worked pretty smooth.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search