The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yikes!
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

Talking Yikes!

Hello to all ay this forum!

I'm using a 1.5 MHZ powerbook and the Fireface800 and Digital performer(4.52) to track with. Last night the second half of my concert was only 9 seconds! According to DP. I KNOW it did not stop running - I watched the numbers running and the track being written. I even backed up the sesion to the internal drive afterwards.
I need a rock solid DAW for mac to record tracks. Can anyone reccommend a program? Traktion? SX3? All I have to do is record reliably. The tracks are mixed on a DAW in the studio. If they all have quirks in the field, then it's time for a radar!

Don
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

PS.. I did run a backup and it saved my *SS!!!! heh
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

Don-

welcome to the world of digital recording: wonderfully cheap, horrible to insure quality tracking. The key to this is to monitor tracks somewhere. I prefer to use the recorder outs to go into my desk and be the 2-mix source so I'm mixing my recorded tracks and know I am geting signal down. In the world of digital multitracks, PT is finally robust enough to do decent remote multitrack recording, but if I had to buy my machines all over again I'd probably go RADAR.

Jim van Bergen
AudioArt Sound, NYC
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

Jim,

Thanks for the reply. I agree! But, I've invested about 5 grand so far - not including converters. I agree most stuff is cheap. That's why I spent the cash. A friend once reminded me that "cheap is expensive"
So I'm thinking for a couple more bucks I could have gotten a Genex or radar.
Good advice! I was monitoring the whole chain and got burnt! That's why I'm not sure if this was operator error or software.
Yes, PT is there, but only in TDM form. Which is even more than Radar. Plus I don't need a DAW, I just need a reliable hard disk recorder.
Have you worked with any other programs that you would consider "solid"?

Don

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search