The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
BB King's NYC, origination fee's for multitracking?
Old 16th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Talking BB King's NYC, origination fee's for multitracking?

I'm supposed to record there tomorrow. The band was supposed to take care of preperations. They have yet to get complete confirmation about origionation fee's. It's a 3 hour drive for me and I do NOT want to show u and have them tell me it'll be $1000 or I cannot record or something. The promoter told the it would be okay, I told them the production manager needs to okay it. I even called there Tuesday and left a voicemail with the production manager and have not gotten word back.

Anyone have experience there? My one friend said he took directs to his DA-88's but was running front of house and made no mention of recording. My rig is of course much more obvious. I would run a splitter situation ideally.

Any input?

Thanks!
Old 16th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Okay, I've been in touch with the production manager myself now. Got the info and it's on! thumbsup
Old 17th June 2005
Super Moderator

No origination fee, right?
Old 17th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Doesn't sound like it. The direct answer I got was that both managments made the proper arrangements. I know the band would not have been able to cover much of a fee so I have to assume there was none.
Old 17th June 2005
Super Moderator

If you have the chance, report back how the gig went.
Old 20th June 2005
Gear Maniac

I don't want to report back about this gig. 10pm the night before my mac crashed and wouldn't reboot. I spent 8 hours in a mac repair shop friday and had to :gulp: cancel the gig. Needless to say the band was not happy. I lost out on the pay and also had to drop loot to get my mac in shape. It had to be done cause I have 3 more dates this week. This show would have been the 3rd with this group in an effort to get good tracks for a compilations situation. Of course they played excelent from what I heard from the tour manager. I am not yet sure if they want me to continue with more gigs or if they are bent enough to toss me to the curb. The 1st two I did they didn't seem to be happy with thier performance. Thier upcoming dates don't excite them much either. I wish they would just buck up and play thier asses off at an upcoming show. They seem to need the vibe to be right at thier shows. They need 800 screeming kids and not just 300 for a good performance. Meh! I feel horrable but what can you do?
Old 20th June 2005
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear this -- It's a real drag...

Question: Why didn't you just rent or borrow a recorder?
Old 20th June 2005
Gear Maniac

I didn't expect the repair to take the time it did. I brought it in for $115/hour "emergency buisness" repair at 10:00am. I went to Batman, liked it and when I went back at almost 2pm I couldn't believe it was not done. Little did I know I would be in there till almost 6:30 that night. I was an hour from home and my gear. I also needed to reinstall a bunch of software and drivers. Friday night NYC area traffic and the distance I am from there equated to backing out. If I had known I coudln't get the mac in time I might have tried to borrow 2 da-88's from a friend but thats only 16 tracks anyway. I probably should have tried to make it anyway cause it turns out they went on after midnight and played till 3:30. I was expecting an 11 start and knew I didn't have the time to get thier and setup my rig in time. I looked into renting a powerbook but they were out of rentals. I guess I just dropped the ball on this one. A first for me and hopefully a last. The budget didn't really allow for serious rentals anyhow. I hate Manhatten enough that I might exclude it from my working area in the future. I've been thinking of it. Between distance, traffic, parking, restrictions, and other potential nightmares I'm not sure it is worth it.
I hope I can make it up to this group. I would like to make thier 1st live record. I need to get in touch with them today to see how the dust settled on thier end.
Old 20th June 2005
JTR
Lives for gear

What sort of rig are you using for remotes?
I take it you have a computer-based setup of some sort - can you give some detail?
Old 20th June 2005
Gear Maniac

That is a big question man...

splitter, snakes, mics, console, preamps, interfaces, harddrive, and laptop. I don't really feel up to getting into major detail now, sorry...
Old 20th June 2005
JTR
Lives for gear

cool

thanks for the info
just curious about big picture: DAW, etc.
don't need a cable list

good luck with the client
Old 20th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Well for the last few years I use a TiBook 800mhz 1gig RAM OS9.2 DP3.2 and a Pacific Pro Audio external 7200rpm 8M cache external firewire for storage (tape machine ) I can currently only do up to 20 tracks at once so I'm limited to an extent of course.
Old 21st June 2005
Gear Nut

Computers...

*shudder*

I finally made the move to an HD24, which is far too computer-like for my tastes, but it's what's available. My DA-78hrs experienced too much computer-like unreliability, and tape is pretty hard to get. The HD24 has been on one live recording, and it survived all the tests I gave it.

God Bless anyone who trusts one of those things (Pee-Cees and Macs) on the road, becuase I don't even have the testicular fortitude to trust the one sitting on my desk. Things just seem to...happen...

Can someone tell me what an origination fee is? It sounds like a fee to record in a particular venue. I've never run into that; but then, it's not like I record in places much higher on the scale than a local VFW hall!! :-) (But my clients are happy...)

-GRW
Old 21st June 2005
Gear Maniac

How much time can you get with the HD24 though? I looked into one cause I'm not a huge computer fan either. I thought the storage space would not be enough. I can't remember specifics though.
Old 21st June 2005
Gear Nut

According to the manual, a 20 GB drive will hold ~90 min. of 24-track, 48k/24-bit. The unit can deal with drives up to 2000 GB...though there aren't any drives of that capacity that will fit in the caddy...but just wait a few days! :-)

I'm still a computer-phobe, but it seems that 80- and 100GB drives are pretty common and inexpensive nowadays. What do they cost, about $100 for 100 GB? (Are drives with <80 GB even available now?) I haven't looked too much into backups and the like, but I'm under the impression that a DVD burner and blanks can be had for a song.

Much cheaper than analog! :-)

-GRW
Old 21st June 2005
Gear Nut

BTW, where in New England are you? Are we practically neighbors, or are you in someplace like Burlington, VT?

Just curious...

-GRW
Old 21st June 2005
Gear Maniac

I'm 90 miles West of you. I'll be in beantown tomorrow and the next day recording. I'd invite you by but we have to get a fair amount tracked in 2 days.

See, 90 mins is never enough. What kind of drive can you add? SCSI off the store shelf?
20 gigs can go quickly. If it's a 20G drive chances are only 18G can be filled. That would be tight. Expessially doing more than one show without going home. I would like the ease of those type of units for sure.

edit (I looked at some specs)

Quote:
ADAT HD24 Specifications

MEDIA.
2 caddys: 1 with installed 40GB HD; 1 empty which can contain IDE/EIDE/ATA Drive of 5400/7200/ 10000 RPM up to 2000GB

TRACK COUNT.
24 tracks at 24-bit/48kHz, 12 tracks at 24-bit/96kHz.

SAMPLE RATES.
Digital: 44.1–96kHz. Analog: 44.1–48kHz (HD24). Upgrade HD24 to 96kHz with the EC-2.

CONNECTIONS.
Analog: 24 24-bit inputs, 24 24-bit outputs (1/4" TRS, +4dBu). Digital: 24-channel I/O via 3 ADAT Optical inputs and 3 ADAT Optical outputs. Other: MIDI in/out. Alesis Sync in/out (DB-9). Word Clock input (BNC, 75ý). Footswitch jack for punch in/out (1/4"). LRC input for traditional wired remote (1/4"). 10 Base-T Ethernet (RJ-45).

AUDIO SPECS.
Frequency response: 20Hz–20kHz +0/–1dB. Dynamic range: 103dB A/D, >103dB D/A (A-weighted). Distortion: <0.003% THD+N. Input levels: nominal +4dBu, maximum +19dBu. Pitch control: +100 cents/–200 cents, min-max 30–50kHz (30–100kHz with version 2.0).

POWER & DIMENSIONS.
Power: 90–230V AC, 60W. Dimensions (H x W x D): 5.09" x 19" x 17" (127mm x 483mm x 432mm), 3U rackmount. Weight: 20lbs (9.07kg).
Quote:
The first hard disk recorders worthy of the name ADAT....

Introducing the world’s first 24-track, 24-bit/96kHz hard disk recorders designed to fit comfortably into any standard ADAT environment — and match ADAT’s legendary performance and affordability.

With their patent-pending method of writing to the hard drive, HD24 and HD24XR are the first hard disk recorders built from the ground up exclusively for the purpose of recording music instead of data — resulting in remarkable stability and performance. And yet, thanks to their use of standard, low-cost IDE computer drives, the recording media costs no more than traditional ADAT tape on a per track basis.

Two hot-swappable media bays provide convenient access to the recording drives, and allow the user to backup data in just minutes. You can edit tracks internally or easily transfer to computer via built-in Ethernet. They’re the only HD recorders on the market with standard ADAT Optical and ADAT Sync, enabling them to work efficiently with existing systems. And they offer the same exceptional user-friendly interface ADAT users have come to expect.

Alesis reinvents digital recording. Again.

HD24 Features:

24-track, 24-bit digital audio recording at 48kHz
(12 tracks at 96kHz)

High sample rates for top-notch audio. Digital: 44.1–96kHz. Upgrade HD24 to 96kHz with the EC-2

Fully loaded standard connections include 24 analog inputs and outputs (+4dBu, 1/4" TRS), plus 24 channels of ADAT Optical I/O

Dual recording bays utilize standard low-cost, removable IDE drives so media costs don’t break the bank

Instant random access to audio using ADAT/FST™ (File Streaming Technology). Hit rewind or fast-forward and you’re there in a flash

Internal editing capabilities include cut, copy, paste, and track-move with undo. Or use the built-in Ethernet port to easily send files to a computer DAW

Multiple units can be synchronized to create a larger system, and easily integrated into an existing ADAT system

Everything you need for a world-class digital recording setup: MIDI in/out, MTC out, Ethernet, ADAT Sync in/out, and Word Clock in.
Old 21st June 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleantone
I'm 90 miles West of you. I'll be in beantown tomorrow and the next day recording. I'd invite you by but we have to get a fair amount tracked in 2 days.
Well, if you need some help, or even would like to borrow some gear, you need only ask. I think I can be more than just a newbie intern!! :-)

Quote:
See, 90 mins is never enough. What kind of drive can you add? SCSI off the store shelf?
20 gigs can go quickly. If it's a 20G drive chances are only 18G can be filled. That would be tight. Expessially doing more than one show without going home. I would like the ease of those type of units for sure.

edit (I looked at some specs)
The hard drives are easy to switch out. It's very tape-like, and is a reason I chose this particular unit. It seems that an 80 gig drive will hold 6 hours, too. Time will tell, as I'm still a newbie with this unit...

-GRW
Old 25th June 2005
Lives for gear

What's with the bitching about 90 minutes of 24 tracks not being enough? Who remembers having 30 minute 2" reels of 16 track? :>) Come one, with two machines or rigs, (one redundant) you can swap out drives between songs and CYA pretty well.

JvB

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search