The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
cheap floor monitor for live room?
Old 16th March 2003
Lives for gear

cheap floor monitor for live room?

We have a minimalist PA in our live room to allow bands to rehearse or work out parts without having to wear headphones. It consists of nothing more than some little Mackie mixer, a stereo power amp and one or two small stage monitors. And the monitors are the problem as the pair we were using were taken away by their owner when they eft town. I haven't purchased PA gear since the 70's and haven't a clue what toget. All we need are one or two small monitors that can allow a bands
vocalist to sing along during a moderate volume run-thru of their songs.

The goal would be to pick up a used pair of ???? for a couple of
hundred bucks. The live room is tiny (15x17x9 ?), so a pair of floor
wedges with one good quality 12" should be adequate. But what
make/model? Not looking for anything "hifi", just something that will pass signal and not blow up without a good reason. Is there a Shure 57 of floor monitors that can be picked up cheaply second hand?

Thanks.
Old 16th March 2003
One with big hooves

The best of the cheap stuff is Yamaha and Yorkville. The cheapest of the Peavey stuff is bad but if you go a step or two up and get away from the piezo tweeter you'll be good. Community stuff is also pretty good.
Old 16th March 2003
Lives for gear

Steve,

I don't know if they would be enough power handling for your application, but believe it or not, the Fender 1270's, which you could get new for a couple hundred. They're 12 inch with coaxial tweeters (like Tannoys), and they're in a very small plastic wedge that is shaped so it will angle a number of ways (very cool). They say they will handle 200 watts program, but uhh, you probably don't want to test that yourself tutt

I used them as monitors for an acoustic "coffey shop" type thing I did, and they sounded pretty good actually. You would still probably need a cheep EQ with them for use with a band though.

If you need a cheap whole powered PA, you might look into the little Fenders in general.
Old 16th March 2003
Lives for gear

I've got an old EV 12C...coaxial affair small footprint for just such an application...the back of it has 4 different angles from which to position the box...actually quite cool, and sounds great.
Old 19th March 2003
Here for the gear

I picked up a pair of THESE for vocal montors.
Very good for the $$$
Old 19th March 2003
Motown legend

If your space is limited, I'd look for something I could mount on the wall. In most cases it'll sound better than the same amount spent on a floor box.
Old 22nd March 2003
Lives for gear

We have a pair of Pulse PM-12's by Yorkville...they sound very good,are lite and well built and thought i cant remember what they cost it wasnt a lot....we do a lot of bluegrass and acoustic instruments sound very good through them.
Old 23rd March 2003
Lives for gear

I've pretty much decided on a pair of Galaxy Hot Spots. They are only around $225 for a pair of new units. For the required vocal-only use, they should be perfect. One of my partners is concerned that they won't be adequate for monitoring synth tracks recorded direct. But I am working to convince him that any signals sent back to the live room for "re-mic'ing" should go into an instrument amp, not the PA. The Hot Spots seem so perfect for the vocal use (95% of the anticipated use) that I don't want to compromise for another application that might never occur.
Anybody out there currently using Hot Spots? I haven't actually heard them in at least a dozen years.

steve
[email protected]
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear