The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Boxes for KM184s?
Old 7th March 2003
Lives for gear
Boxes for KM184s?

They come in a cardboard box which is hopeless. Anyone got a contact for wooden cases? Something like the AT43033 box would be great.

DW
Old 8th March 2003
One with big hooves

Blue makes boxes for mics but I don't know if they have anything that size. You could also look for a cigar box and line it with your own foam. Or, that little coffin case is pretty cool but it's $50 which seems like a lot of money for something that only holds 6 SM57 sized mics. I think Nuemann makes wood boxes for pairs, might be worth looking into.
Old 8th March 2003
Lives for gear
Thanks Jay,

"I think Nuemann makes wood boxes for pairs, might be worth looking into."

I've had a look on the Neumann site but did not see anything. Maybe I'd better mail them.

Cheers,
DW
Old 8th March 2003
Lives for gear

a ghetto solution is to get a gun case. probably available near you and cheap, also available today. i have seem types that are filled with eggcrate style foam and have an outer durable plastic (ala skb case) for around 12 bucks or so. i'm not a gun owner, but i used this trick once for a drum machine i'd take to live shows. if it's really just for safe storage in your locker, it may be an acceptable solution. save your money for the really geeky stuff.
Old 8th March 2003
Lives for gear

Mine came in cheery wood cases, seprate cases, but they are a matched pair.
Old 8th March 2003
Gear Maniac

I bought a bunch of Pelican cases in different colors & sizes. I believe they give very good protection at a modest price. In the past I've also bought briefcase type camera cases.

/Mats
Old 9th March 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by Beech
Thanks Jay,

"I think Nuemann makes wood boxes for pairs, might be worth looking into."

I've had a look on the Neumann site but did not see anything. Maybe I'd better mail them.
I know it's an accessory. I remember Karl from Sennheiser/Nuemann telling me that the wood boxes came stock with the mics from USA dealers. The gray market mics come with cardboard. Be warned, those boxes aren't cheap. Last time I saw them for sale it was around $100-150 IIRC.
Old 9th March 2003
Lives for gear

I picked up a couple little aluminum mic flight cases at Guitar Center last summer. They hold one mic (they're pretty small), have foam cushioning inside, and are lockable. They were $20 apiece.
Old 10th March 2003
Lives for gear

If you like plastic, you can visit a shop for professional photographers, they usually have lots of different boxes with varying sizes, where the "inner life" can be tailored to your needs very easily. They are very good for the road (and waterproofgrggt )
If you need to have a woodbox, say hello to your local carpenter and buy some foam, in which you can cut easily the form of your mics. Bingo.

Neumann stuff is way too expensive.

Cheers, kosi
Old 11th March 2003
Lives for gear

184 boxes

for what its worth, IIRC, I ordered mine straight from the USA Sennheiser office at the same time as I ordered a new clip for my 421s and a plastic case for another 421 that I picked up used. At the time, it was only $40 for the two space wood box. But I've been told that no one else has found them that cheaply......

steve
[email protected]
Old 8th April 2003
Lives for gear

Gotcha beat on the Ghetto box for 184s... I went to a cigar shop and got a wood cigar box. I sanded the inside and laquered it. Then I put foam in, cut holes, glued a piece of cardboard on top of the foam, and lastly covered it all with velvet or some sort of similar soft fabric. Cost me $8 total for everything. I even have a storage space in it for the clips and foam wind screens. I'll post a pic when I get a chance if you'd like.

--Ben
Old 15th April 2003
Lives for gear

WOODEN BOXES ARE AVAILABEL FOR BOTH SINGLES AND STEREO PAIR FROM NEUMANN(fletcher's fave company..seems to becoming mine too)
Old 16th April 2003
One with big hooves

Ben, I'd like to see that. My Oktava's could use a new home. Can you get a wooden cigar box without cigars? I hope so, because I'm not a smoker.
Old 16th April 2003
Gear Addict

the problem with cigar boxes is the crummy little latch (unless you dont mind it popping open at times) the plastic photo shop cases or gun cases are pretty cheap and work very well.
Old 16th April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by kosi
If you like plastic, you can visit a shop for professional photographers, they usually have lots of different boxes with varying sizes, where the "inner life" can be tailored to your needs very easily. They are very good for the road (and waterproofgrggt)
I'd second this nomination.. I use Pelican Cases for just about everything.

Have a looksee at
http://www.pelican.com
and/or http://www.casesbypelican.com/

Not as cheap as a cigar box, but they're tough, well-padded inside, watertight. .. gooood.

-dave

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search