The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
a different kind of "How much to charge"
Old 21st February 2003
Lives for gear

a different kind of "How much to charge"

Setting a price with a client isn't a problem. But last night I recorded a jazz band in a little club. As part of the deal, everyone in the 4 piece combo gets a CD of the performance.

But what about the 8 to 10 audience members and guest players who also came up to me asking for copies. Because it was a sort of cross between a gig and a "jam" session, the band has no problem with me selling copies to the guest players or the audience. But I have never sold product at the "retail" level and don't have a clue what these folks expect to pay for a CD.

Have any of you ever been in this situation? Whats a CD copy of a club gig worth to someone in the audience or to a guest player who sat in on one or two songs? I'd give them away for a minimal charge except that I really don't want to encourage this type of deal - I could see dozens of requests pouring in if I make it available cheaply. But I don't want to come off as a dick either; I could tell that some of these folks were really fans who were nursing a single drink all night long just to hear the music (or sit in on a song.)

What do you guys suggest as a per CD price when that was not your original reason for recording the show? Any ideas? (man, I do not want this to become an expected service...at any price)

Thanks.

steve
[email protected]
Old 21st February 2003
Super Moderator

That's what ClearChannel is trying to do in the States.
They want to offer a CD of every ClearChannel live event. Yup, the live show you just saw at your favorite place may be available for a price...

But what's that price costing the remote recording industry?
A potentially scary situation for us Remote Folk. Here's another Quality or Quantity Question. What will the quality of these CDs be like?

As for your CD project. I think $15.00 is a fair price for the guests & fans.

We have two Tascam CD1X4 CD burners that can produce 4 to 8 CDs per dub. I got them for making multiple CDs on location. We have not used them for that yet, but it's a very convenient way to deal with the issue of multiple CDs at the end of the night. Much better then dealing with multiple (single) CD burners. We also have a laptop & printer so we can produce liner notes on the spot.
Old 27th February 2003
One with big hooves

I'd give them away to the guest musicians. For the other people I'd let the musicians set the price since they're the ones who hired you (yes?) and they're on the recordings. Most people selling homebrew live CD's at gigs charge $5 each, maybe $10. $15 is pushing it IMHO, especially if it's not a prepackaged shrinkwrapped disc.
Old 27th February 2003
Gear Maniac

Talking

Steve:

If you have any server space at your disposal, why not just convert the CD into a high resolution (like, a 192kbps) MP3, post it there, and give out the URL, free, to anyone who asks!!
Old 27th February 2003
Super Moderator

That's a cool idea!
Old 27th February 2003
Gear Maniac

Cool

Thanks, Steve squared (2)!!

Hey, what did ya expect?

I'm a happening, '00s kind of cool guy, using only the LATEST technology and trends!! grggt

I STILL liked the 1960s and 1970s a LOT better, though... heh
Old 27th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by THEMIXFIX
Steve:

If you have any server space at your disposal, why not just convert the CD into a high resolution (like, a 192kbps) MP3, post it there, and give out the URL, free, to anyone who asks!!
That's a great idea.

And I would also say that $10 to the public is a fair price too. Especially for that type of music. I'm assuming there's a bit of jamming and improv. going on? So getting a good quality recording of a unique event (as opposed to a desk recording of a band playing the same set, night after night, which is obviously unique, but you know what I'm trying to say...) would definitely be something people would be willing to spend a tenner on.

The guest musicians is a bit of a stickler. I agree that they should get theirs for free too but it's just more of hassle when there's so many musicians in the band. I guess it's more a matter of being cool and hoping people appreciate the time you've spent making the extra cd's, keep your glass full and say thank you for your time.

It's amazing how much nicer a cold beer, a good chat and a handshake are than a tenner is from somebody that expects something for free...

Sounds like fun though...

R.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear