The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Inserts to multitrack?
Old 19th February 2003
Gear Maniac

Inserts to multitrack?

I have never tried this. I'm looking at consoles. The new SC Spirit ES series look decent. Mind you I'm not at all rich. I've used the M series Spirit consoles and they were decent. My question is about taking a feed off of this console. It has no direct outs. It has inserts. I know inserts go out and back in on the same plus (TRS). I'm wondering if you can take an insert cable and go to multitrack (MOTO 896's in this case). Would the signal have to come back to the console at the insert, or can it just go out without coming back in, like a direct out? Anybody know?

Have you seen these new consoles? They added a couple stereo channels on one fader. I like that.

Old 23rd February 2003
Gear Maniac

c'mon, nobody has the answer? I would try it but I can't untill I buy it...madd
Old 24th February 2003
Super Moderator

I am not very familiar with the SC Spirit ES desk. Some consoles allow you to use the insert as a direct out by plugging it in half way into the TRS insert connector. The send (out + side) is on the ring and the return (in + side) is on the tip of the TRS connector. The sleeve handles the ground for both send & return. I don't know if the ES can do this or not. but if it can, it can only do it on the four mono input modules it has. The ES has mostly stereo modules.

The E Series has six to twelve mono inputs and two stereo inputs. The ES is much different. It's setup as a multiple stereo source console with only four mono modules. I think they also include a couple of RIAA-equalized inputs on RCA phono connectors for the" DJ" in you. This desk looks like it would be more useful as a keyboard submixer then a live recording desk, especially with only four mono inputs.

You may want to contact the sales person that you're dealing with, and ask if you can come by and test the desk's insert/direct out capabilities before you purchase it.
Old 24th February 2003
Gear Maniac

I didn't notice that is was an "E" model I was looking at that has 12 mono ins and 2 stereo faders too. I thought it was ES 12, but it's not. I would only want two stereo faders anyway. Maybe I could use more but not for less mono ones. I wouldn't be using it much for my recording. I would like to have it at my house/studio, and them I can use it when there would be use for it in the clubs. I'm gonna be representing a guitar trio pretty soon. I think I will be manager/engineer/archivist all wrapped up in one person. We would likely need the console for smaller gigs. This way I can kill two stones with one bird.

Old 24th February 2003
Super Moderator

Cool,

Did you contact the sales person, so you can check out and test the desk yet? Let us know about the insert thingy.
Old 25th February 2003
Here for the gear

In the past I had the same issue. I ended up making insert plugs (TRS) which had the Tip and Ring connected with the cable (to the recorder) connected to this as well. That way I could plug it into any insert of any desk using this type of topology and it would work. Nowdays the loom has been rebuilt into something else.
Attached Thumbnails
Inserts to multitrack?-insert.gif  
Old 25th February 2003
Super Moderator

Great idea Steve!

If you're working with a lot of different mixers, you may want to extend the loop to the XLRs.

Some consoles have the T & R reversed. Why not build a snake that has, lets say male XLRs for both in and outs, then have a bunch of female XLR barrels to turn them around, when applicable. You could include a "N" or "Y" cord for the looping idea Steve mentioned...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search