The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
where to get parts in NYC???
Old 18th February 2003
Gear Head

where to get parts in NYC???

Where do you get parts in NYC these days? I'm hoping to go shopping and pick up some fuses, some ICs, and some other bits and pieces....
There used to be a place on West 45th but the name escapes me.....
Radio Shack doesn't have the things I want and I wuld rather be able to see the part then order from a catalog....
Anyone know of a good place?

---Ken F
Old 18th February 2003
Gear Maniac

Re: where to get parts in NYC???

Quote:
Originally posted by kfledman
Where do you get parts in NYC these days? I'm hoping to go shopping and pick up some fuses, some ICs, and some other bits and pieces....
There used to be a place on West 45th but the name escapes me.....
Radio Shack doesn't have the things I want and I wuld rather be able to see the part then order from a catalog....
Anyone know of a good place?

---Ken F
Dale Pro Audio
212 475 1124
www.daleproaudio.com

(vicinity of 20th & Broadway)
Old 18th February 2003
Super Moderator

Dale is a great place for everything pro audio, but not such a great place for ICs and such.

In the old days, I got all my hard to find chips and stuff from Argil Electronics on 17th street. They're not around any more. Many of the killer parts places are all gone.

Nowadays, I just purchase my stuff thru the various catalog companies; Digikey, Allied, Newark, etc.

They're a few places left in Queens & Long Island, but that's not gonna help you much.

Is there anyone out there that knows of a killer electronic parts place in town? A place you can work in a look around, like Argil in the old days. I miss Art Gil and his cool place...

Sorry, I'm not too much help, I'm afraid.
Old 18th February 2003
Super Moderator

Late breaking news...

I just found out Argil is in LIC. If you don't mind going over the 59th street bridge, check them out at:

ARGIL ELECTRONICS LTD.
30-30 NORTHERN BLVD.
LONG ISLAND CITY, NY 11101-2832
718/392-8111

Now, that may help!
Old 18th February 2003
TMI
Gear Head

Arthur Gill, Argil Electronics

Sorry Steve,

Arthur retired about a year ago. Just to make sure, I called the number you listed and it's disconnected. Unlike other distributors, Arthur would chase down whatever parts I specified, no matter how odd. It was not often they would reply with "no quote". I really miss them.

Tom Maguire
TMI Engineering

Not many parts houses have a vintage Marantz tube rig in the office. Still fewer sold Marantz the parts to build it!
Old 18th February 2003
Old 18th February 2003
One with big hooves

That's a bummer. So there's no place in NYC or northern NJ to get parts? ****... I need to pick up a few odd IC's (anyone got a spare 74122N around?) and other bits. I'd rather not have to place an order and wait a few days everytime I need a few parts.
Old 18th February 2003
Super Moderator

Tom,

I knew it was too good to be true when I saw Argil listed online.

Art was awesome. The stuff you mentioned is what I liked about him the best. He would search high and low for you at no extra charge. And had pretty much everything no one else stocked.

But Tom, are there any real electronic parts stores around anymore? Or are we stuck with the catalog sources?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search