The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How do you handle cold calls from potential clients?
Old 4th May 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post

>>If we cannot get the four "W's" answered; Who, What, Where & hoW, we don't take the caller very seriously and handle it accordingly.<<
Quote:
Originally Posted by idave View Post
Steve, this is funny as it's almost exactly what me and my partner used to use as our "potential client" questionnaire in London back in the 80's , but slightly different ,
"Who" "What" Where" & "When" !!! I was "pleasantly" surprised to see "your" sim comment just now..
I am readopting this mantra for my new mobile business www.RecordYourGIG.com (website is only a temporary one I designed in iWeb,,,,, new site any day now!!)

In the 80's we used to hang up if we didn't get those 4 Q's answered, a bit rude but so was the 80's ,,,lol!!!

idave
Sorry, I only just noticed that your post was made in 2003!! Just shows you how relevant it still is !!
dave
Old 4th May 2009
I tried a novel tack today, when I finally got ahold of the person I was aiming to talk to, I said flat out, "This is a cold call."

Seemed to put everyone at ease, oddly enough... like we'd leapfrogged over the awkwardness and could get down to cases.
Old 25th August 2019
So, how do you handle cold calls from potential clients in 2019?
Old 25th August 2019
Lives for gear

In 2019 I don't answer calls that are from a number I don't already know. Way too many spam calls. Nearly all of my work is referrals, and current etiquette is to start with emails. Some people start right in with texts, with no ID of themselves or what the project is, I tell them to email me and we can discuss that way. If it looks legit at all we'll end up on the phone at that point.
Old 25th August 2019
Yes, robocalls have changed the playing field when it comes to communication with potential clients.

Much of the work we get are from referrals, and we accept them whichever way they come in. Cold calls are welcomed. Unsolicited emails work too as long as they are legitimate.

Once the first contact has been made and confirmed, I too prefer continuing the discussion via email. I like to have that "paper trail" to reference or refer to when necessary. I create my Location Production file from the email messages and notes I've gathered with researching the project.

I don't mind texts, but when mission critical information is addressed, I too prefer it to be in an email.

A quick verbal phone call upfront is my way of finding out exactly where the potential client is at. I want to listen to them speak, so I can get a better sense of who they are and what they may want to achieve that an email message will not always provide me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
In 2019 I don't answer calls that are from a number I don't already know. Way too many spam calls. Nearly all of my work is referrals, and current etiquette is to start with emails. Some people start right in with texts, with no ID of themselves or what the project is, I tell them to email me and we can discuss that way. If it looks legit at all we'll end up on the phone at that point.
Old 25th August 2019
Lives for gear

The volume of spam calls I get would be very disruptive to my work if I answered them all. Anymore I find that people who are serious about doing work that is important enough to them to go to the trouble of hiring me usually want to present their details in writing in an email. If you have "repeaters" that know you well I can see the phone first-contact thing, but then you'd have their number in your phone already and that would not be a spam call. In my tiny world the only legit cold calls are usually emergencies (soundie no-show, dead gear on location, job got bigger/need more crew etc), and anymore those folks usually text and call.
Old 25th August 2019
I also get an insane amount of Robo calls. If I see a number that is not in my contact list or do not recognize, I let it go to voicemail or the answering machine depending on which number they call.

Quote:
The volume of spam calls I get would be very disruptive to my work if I answered them all. Anymore I find that people who are serious about doing work that is important enough to them to go to the trouble of hiring me usually want to present their details in writing in an email. If you have "repeaters" that know you well I can see the phone first-contact thing, but then you'd have their number in your phone already and that would not be a spam call. In my tiny world the only legit cold calls are usually emergencies (soundie no-show, dead gear on location, job got bigger/need more crew etc), and anymore those folks usually text and call.
Old 25th August 2019
Lives for gear

Most of the robospam calls don't leave messages, which is kind of a blessing since then I know immediately that that call isn't worth any attention. It would be nice to be able to go back to being able to answer my phone when called by numbers I don't already have stored, but despite various government and carrier actions the number of robo calls keeps increasing. It's one of the stupider aspects of current life.
Old 25th August 2019
Many of the Robo calls we get leave messages in Mandarin.

I block each and everyone that is SPAM. My telephone company has been marking many as "SPAM" upfront, so they get block right away.

I get the feeling it's going to get a lot worst before it gets better I'm afraid.

Quote:
Most of the robospam calls don't leave messages, which is kind of a blessing since then I know immediately that that call isn't worth any attention. It would be nice to be able to go back to being able to answer my phone when called by numbers I don't already have stored, but despite various government and carrier actions the number of robo calls keeps increasing. It's one of the stupider aspects of current life.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear