The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
great sounding 8 ch mic pre boxes
Old 30th January 2003
Lives for gear

great sounding 8 ch mic pre boxes

I recently picked up two True precison 8 channel boxes and just love um.
Used them on a pittsburgh symphony live event and they were really great.
M/S function is a bonus. wish it had a stereo bus though. What are you guys using for pres on small remotes?

When we did the mic pre shoot out at my field shop, I felt the Precison 8 sounded the best on the TLM170 and the Schoeps mics!
Old 30th January 2003
Lives for gear

I have 4 "Oram" octapre units.. they are ok, nothing special.. ( they were purchased before I came on board.. A guy at sweetwater sold my employers the octapres, 4 Digi 888's and 3 Presonus ACP88s. To track through! now there is a recording path! ( The octas are the only thing taht stil ever gets used, thank God...)

I do like the True units though..
Old 30th January 2003
Gear Head
I love the Grace 801 and 801r. So clean. Only draw back on the 801 is there is no numaric identifcation, so to recall anything, you must count the clicks or another method.
Old 30th January 2003
Lives for gear

wish it had a stereo bus though

So, what are you guys using when you need a quick 2 mix on location but you don't want to carry a mixer around?

who makes that high quality 4x2 (6x2, 8x2 ?) line mixer?

steve
[email protected]
Old 30th January 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by hollywood_steve

API, Cranesong.
Old 30th January 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
So, what are you guys using when you need a quick 2 mix on location but you don't want to carry a mixer around?

8 channel mic pre AND line mixer
the ATI 8MX2 :

http://www.audiotoys.com/8MX2.HTM

A lot cheaper than a spider or seperates but,
how does it compare in sound to other things in the 2->4K pricerange ?

I'm actually leaning towards digi Pre - but would rather have an 8 channel MM HV-3d!
Old 30th January 2003
Lives for gear

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

API, Cranesong.

LINE mixer, if API would sell a 3124M without the preamps, I'd already have one. The majority of the cost with the 3124M and the Spider are the mic preamps, which I don't need. I want a line level ONLY mixer and the options are few and far between.

steve
Old 30th January 2003
Lives for gear

I'm afraid i'm using the wackie 1604s for monitor in my flypacks.
Its all i've got!
Old 30th January 2003
Lives for gear

Just got it, after a year of waiting for the updated chip.

This thing is Da Bomb!

CLM Dynamics DB8000s

Review by S.O.S. here.

Wiggy had one for sale a while ago, don't know if he still has it.

Old 30th January 2003
Lives for gear

Looks very cool whats the $sticker?
Old 9th February 2003
Super Moderator

Quote:
wish it had a stereo bus though

steve
[email protected]
Steve,

Have you checked out Kanesan yet?

They make a really cool 4 channel location mixer. They also make other awesome products for the broadcast professional and location recordist. The lipsync checker is an amazing device.

If interested, check out the link I provided about. They are distributed by HHB.
Old 11th February 2003
Lives for gear

We make this guy, which is pretty cool in both studio and remote applications. You can chose either mic or line amps and there is a mix option for it as well. It's a pretty cool setup.
Attached Thumbnails
great sounding 8 ch mic pre boxes-mf1.jpg  
Old 11th February 2003
Lives for gear

David from Benchmark wrote:
"We make this guy, which is pretty cool in both studio and remote applications. You can chose either mic or line amps and there is a mix option for it as well. It's a pretty cool setup."

I went to the Benchmark site and read up on the MX-1, the 16 input mix card. Just to make things obvious to the technically challenged (me), the MX-1 seems to be a 16x1 summming amp that is complete except for a power supply.

For a DIY application, would two of the MX-1s and a power supply be all that is required to sum the outputs of a rack of outboard mic preamps?

What are the other modules in the photo you attached? Do they provide the mixer accessory functions like panning and channel faders? Which Benchmark modules would be used in this type of application, particulary if you were only interested in line level inputs and did not want mic preamps?

thanks.

steve
[email protected]
Old 11th February 2003
Lives for gear

The Microframe can hold either MP-2 mic preamps modules or LA-1 line amp modules. Both modules have dual ouputs so you can send one out to a multitrack and another to a summing buss or another mixer should you so desire. I'll check on the MX-1 tomorrow.
Old 11th February 2003
Lives for gear

I just talked with Allen (my boss and the guy who designed the Microframe) and he says that that using two MX-1's will give you a 32x2 mixer. It is unbalanced and there is no panning but the signal path is of very high quality. One of our PS-1 power supplies can easily power two of those boards. Hope that helps!
Old 4th March 2003
Here for the gear

Hey, Sports Fans!

Just came across this forum, and saw this post. I very recently bought one of these:

http://www.buzzaudio.com/products/arack.htm

Man, I love it. You can buy it without all the modules, too, and add them as you grow. If any of you have used their wonderful MA2.2 preamp (I own one of those, too), it's eight channels of that beauty in one rack. Very clean, very detailed, NOT clinical sounding.

Very cool board, BTW. Hope to post more soon.
Old 6th March 2003
Gear Maniac

the presonus digimax definatly is a better value that some may think..

you can get the "LT" model (only goes up to 48K) for around $500-600 if my numbers are current. A pretty dang well built 8-channel pre w/ continuous gain, 48v, and pads. All channels are outfitted with Neutrix "combo" jacks so you can use them as DIs if you need be.

For me and my smaller type rig, it's a really easy way to get an extra 8 mic lines in, and being that they actually put wordclock i/o on the thing, you can lock it to any system that's running at 44.1 or 48k. I usually roll at 24/48 so it works fine for now...
Old 6th March 2003
Here for the gear

Caution Newb Alert

What about the Focusrite Octopre? (or did someone else mention that already?)

MF had them for around $999 plus another $250 for the ADAT interface. Includes Wordclock I think, plus the anolog outs are "live" even while the D/IO is active. (spit monitoring?)

Any thoughts? Looking basically for a remote mixer/mic-pres for tracking band rehearsals and live gigs. (don't feel like carting all my other crap around for pre-pro) Know what I mean?

Peace,

Hannibal
Old 6th March 2003
Moderator emeritus

Re: Caution Newb Alert

Quote:
Originally posted by mrjones
What about the Focusrite Octopre? (or did someone else mention that already?)
Well, the heading was 'Great Sounding 8 Channel Pre boxes". The Octopre isn't great. It's useable, but not great.
Old 6th March 2003
Gear Maniac

Re: Re: Caution Newb Alert

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
Well, the heading was 'Great Sounding 8 Channel Pre boxes". The Octopre isn't great. It's useable, but not great.
you are correct, the digimax doesn't quite fall under "great sounding" either, It falls into the category of useable with very little suck aftertaste...
Old 6th March 2003
Here for the gear

Ouch!

Ouch that's gotta hurt. Hope a Focusrite salesman isn't lurking around here.
:-)

Used an Avalon the other day, (acoustic guitar D/I) Wow it was very nice. Can't justify the cost though. Guess if they made an 8 channel pre it would be way over the top budget/size wise.

How are their single/dual MIC channels?

Peace,

Hannibal
Old 8th March 2003
Super Moderator

Ouch what? If the Focusrite salesperson had any technical sense, they would know there's a difference between the original Focusrite stuuf and the gear they're making today. It's a totally different animal.

We just used two Avalon 737SPs for a Russell Watson / Meat Loaf BBC special. They sounded very nice. Josh Abbey (Russell's Engineer) requested it for the the live TV shoot. He had them on Russell and Meat's vocal's. An eight channel box would be very sweet setup if you had the bread.

We're on a three day location recording at the Blue Note Jazz Club in NYC. We are using 24 channels of True Systems, precision8s for the session. I picked the P8s because I didn't want to color the sound of the mics we're using. I mostly have Neuman mics up (M149s, TLM103s, U87, KM140) with an addition of two AKG TLIIs for the piano, two Royer R121s for percussion, two Beyer M160s for drum overheads, three Milab DC96B for audience and Sennhesizer a MD441, a B&K 4011, a Shure SM98 and a Neumann KM140 for upright bass.

I'm very interested in checking out Buzz Audio's stuff. Maybe I'll get a chance to demo them a gig someday... hint, hint.
Old 10th March 2003
Here for the gear

Yeah yeah...

Point taken, guess if you are going to "shill the goods", you've got to be willing to take the customer beatings along the way.

Let me ask this; Is it remotly possiable to buy a "decent" 8 channel pre, with minimal "suck-factor" in the sub $1500 range? (Prefer ADAT outs or at least a SPDIF option)

Application; front end an M-Audio Digi 1010 card to a Nuendo system. (plus an ADAT XT)

Thoughts for the "budget-ly" challenged?

Peace,

Hannibal
Old 10th March 2003
Here for the gear

Yes...buy a pair of Sytek preamps. They're four channels each, and I don't think anything in their price range even starts to come close.

I just sold the pair that I replaced with the Buzz Audio unit, but you can find them on eBay from time to time. Also, Mike (the guy who makes them) will have overstock units (new) for auction every now and then. They're really fine pieces of equipment.
Old 12th March 2003
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by katiedawg Sytek preamps. They're four channels each, and I don't think anything in their price range even starts to come close.
The FMR RNP is in their price range and sounds pretty good to me.

RME has some new (presumably cheap) multichannel preamps which could prove interesting (or not.)
Old 18th March 2003
Here for the gear

Thumbs up

I have 54 channels of the ATI 8MX-2 and think they are great. I bought them for my breakout package but have also been using them in the truck when my 54 channel API is full. They have 100V rails and can really take a pounding without distortion. In addition to the 2 buss feature they also have a limiter on each channel in case the source material gets a little out of hand. The solo section works well also. ATI has packaged allot into this puppy. The Mic Pre itself is the same as in the ATI Paragon console.

Just my $.02 worth.

Kooster

Sorry I have'nt been around much as I am down in Nashville 4 days a week doing a music show down there. (Nashville Star)
Old 18th March 2003
Here for the gear

I like it!

Ok I like it, (ATI) however it lists for around $2999, what is the street price? Also is any of the ATI "vintage gear" worthwhile? Found this on EBAY:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=23785

All sub $1200-1500 suggestions welcome.

Peace,

Hannibal
Old 18th March 2003
Super Moderator

Re: I like it!

Quote:
Originally posted by mrjones
Ok I like it, (ATI) however it lists for around $2999, what is the street price? Also is any of the ATI "vintage gear" worthwhile? Found this on EBAY:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=23785

All sub $1200-1500 suggestions welcome.

Peace,

Hannibal
Hannibal,

ATI (Audio Technologies, Inc.) and ATI (Audio Toys, Inc.) are two completely different companies...

Many folks make that same mistake everyday.
Old 18th March 2003
Here for the gear

Doh!

Ok so I too have made that mistake. Which is which then? This appears to be the company from the ebay listing; http://www.atiguys.com/

I asume Koost was refering to the other company right? Cause I didn't find an 8MX listed under their products.

Of course there is also a computer company called ATI, they make graphic cards etc. (guess its a popular acronym)
:-)

Thanks for the clarification...

Peace,

Hannibal
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear