The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
neumann km 184 vs km 140
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkoc ➡️
Although it's hard, could you please describe it?
hm...

...maybe in the sense that the digital version 'feels' like working more effortlessly?

__

perhaps my personal assessment is based on the fact that i often work with the same mics but not always with the same preamps and converters, which is why i am wary of conclusively attributing certain characteristics to a particular type of mic:

imo it's not only the mic (and of course the room and the source) but also the interaction between mic, (cable,) preamp and converter that defines the sound we're hearing...

...while with a digital mic, the latter factors are always constant! - so maybe it's the absence of variation (stemming from the use of varying gear) which leads me to think that the digital version of the km mic performs more 'effortlessly', no matter in which situation it gets used?
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
hm...

...maybe in the sense that the digital version 'feels' like working more effortlessly?

__

perhaps my personal assessment is based on the fact that i often work with the same mics but not always with the same preamps and converters, which is why i am wary of conclusively attributing certain characteristics to a particular type of mic:

imo it's not only the mic (and of course the room and the source) but also the interaction between mic, (cable,) preamp and converter that defines the sound we're hearing...

...while with a digital mic, the latter factors are always constant! - so maybe it's the absence of variation (stemming from the use of varying gear) which leads me to think that the digital version of the km mic performs more 'effortlessly', no matter in which situation it gets used?
Interesting description - "effortlessly".
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkoc ➡️
Interesting description - "effortlessly".
sorry! :-) perhaps someone will comment who is more linguistically powerful and technically more knowledgeable...
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
sorry! :-) perhaps someone will comment who is more linguistically powerful and technically more knowledgeable...
I meant it in a good way, and I admire your posts.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
About the KM184 interference issues: some might be interested to know what serials suffer from those issues. Before I found this out I was very reluctant to use 184s ever because I've had performances ruined by cell phones, and I've encountered venues with some EMI where they were unuseable.

I asked Neumann a few years ago and received this very helpful answer:

"I was able to confirm the serial number when the change to the new pc-board started. It started from serial number 50000"

I've purchased several secondhand 184s, all S/N >50,000, and they've been completely noise free. Hope that helps folks.

PS, I don't ever use 184s in a main-pair application (too focused and bright compared to my Schoeps cardioids), but I absolutely love my KM183s!
📝 Reply