The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: ,

Cro-Mags @ Eastside Sound Studios and stuff...
Old 14th January 2003
Super Moderator

Talking Cro-Mags @ Eastside Sound Studios and stuff...

I grabbed part of this quote from another thread....

Quote:
Originally posted by lheast
For Remoteness-
Hey Steve,
Thanks for the tapes -I had the factory jumping in Nashville- Too bad I did not have a copy of your recording of Milo Z. That was a great night and you and your crew caught both acts without a hitch. Sort of nice the way i sat on my ass and watched. Can you come to my studio and let me just sit there. Hey, Remember when you cut the Cro-Mags at my place back in the 80"s. Wow, a classic. Maybe I will lure you back in the studio. Thanks for posting the SeriesTen info.
Lou Holtzman
EastSide Sound
NYC
Lou,

It was my pleasure to help an old buddy, providing some DA88 tapes for your Harrison Series Ten test in Nashville.

Yeah man, I remember that Milo Z gig. It was during one of the northeast's biggest snow storms. We were coming back from a gig in Boston the night before. I remember how Milo and his band really rock hard. They were totally on point that night. You may have sat on your ass and watched, but I know you very well, if you didn't like something, you would have been right in there.

I'm looking forward in coming to your new studio whether or not I let you just sit there and do nothing. heh

I remember when I recorded and mixed the Cro-Mags' first record at your place. We did it on a Soundworkshop console! If I remember correctly, kids would call you at the studio, years later, asking you questions about it. They thought the recording was done on the Neve you had... Right Lou, didn't you mention something like that to me many years ago?

I also remember, I wanted to take the drums out of the drum booth and place them in the middle of your studio? Originally you didn't want me to do it, but we did. We also placed the bass and GTRs in the iso booths and did the scratch vocals between the studio/control room air lock, if I'm not mistaken. It was a really long time ago, so some of it is fuzzy now.

That "Age of Quarrel" record is a classic now. Many bands base their sound on that record. And we did it on a Soundworkshop...

We did a series of 13 live shows in the early 90s for MTV called, "Hangin' w/ MTV." During one of the dates, we had Skid Row performing with Rob Halford. Well, during the sound check, Sebastian Bach came into the truck and listened to a portion of the soundcheck we recorded for their approval. Sebastian kneeled down to me and said something like, "I'm looking for the same sound they got on the Cro-Mags' first record." I replied, "Age of Quarrel?" He said, "Yeah." I answered back, "I recorded & mixed that record." He stood up, looked at me and said, "Great, that's all I needed to know." Or something to that effect and walked out of the truck.

After the live show, we were all standing in the green room watching (and listening) to the video we just recorded. While the video was playing, Bach started swinging his arms, spinning around in place, almost clocking me in the head, since there wasn't alot of room where we surrounded the TV monitor. When the song was over, he then swung his long arms around and hugged me while he landed a kiss on my cheek. Man, he was really happy. I forget what he was saying at the time, but he was truly happy with the performance and stuff. I couldn't believe he just did that.

So, I really got to thank Lou for designing a great sounding room. Eastside Sound had the magic. I'm sure the new place will equal or exceed the old place!
Old 16th January 2003
Here for the gear

Cro-mags

Really , when Sevendust were in the studio JJ French and Mark Mandoza were producing,when JJ and Mark and D did thier Twisted Sister tribute at my place and LoHo studios ,Sebatian among others came to EastSide-I wish I could have reminded him of your dates with him and the Cro-Mags. Great hearing all that stuff .
Thanks
Lou Holtzman
Old 19th January 2003
One with big hooves

Have you guys heard the remastered version of that? When I worked with Harley last year he brought me "Age of Quarrel" and I didn't think it sounded all that great, kinda distorted and low-fi. I know it was the remastered deal so maybe the first issue was better? It wasn't horrible but it wasn't what I was expecting either.

Funny you mention Milo-Z, I've done FOH for them a few times. Man, I don't know how you could sit with that band playing. They F'in rock!
Old 19th January 2003
Super Moderator

The remastered version doesn't sound anything like the original.

"Age of Quarrel" was originally mixed and mastered for vinyl, then for CD. That stuff sounded tight; in your face.

Jay, there were no maybes, the original did not sound distorted or low-fidelity.
Old 19th January 2003
Here for the gear

Cro-Mags

Ditto

Lou Holtzman
Rekordings Inc.
EastSide Sound
Old 22nd January 2003
One with big hooves

Ok, so I went back through a huge pile of CD's and it turns out that Harley gave me something called "Before the Quarrel" which is a bunch of demos and junk. Looks like I'll have to find the real deal next time I go out to get CD's. Like I said, this isn't tight, sounds like just about every cheaply done punk demo I've ever heard. Low-fi, washy and distorted.
Old 22nd January 2003
Super Moderator

Well, there you go.
Old 25th April 2006
Super Moderator

Look what I found...

I took this shot during the mix session.
Attached Thumbnails
Cro-Mags @ Eastside Sound Studios and stuff...-youngparrismayhew.jpg  
Old 25th April 2006
Here for the gear

EastSide Sound

Yikes- I used to tune that monster!!
Lou
Old 25th April 2006
Super Moderator

Ahhh, thee Analog days...

I kinda miss them.
Old 23rd September 2012
Super Moderator

Parris Mayhew is interested in doing a film about the Cro-Mags and has asked me to participate.

I have plenty of stories and details about recording "Age of Quarrel" which he would like to interview me for the film.

He's got a list of folks he wants to interview - it should be an interesting documentary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Look what I found...

I took this shot during the mix session.
Old 15th July 2013
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lheast View Post
Really , when Sevendust were in the studio JJ French and Mark Mandoza were producing,when JJ and Mark and D did thier Twisted Sister tribute at my place and LoHo studios ,Sebatian among others came to EastSide-I wish I could have reminded him of your dates with him and the Cro-Mags. Great hearing all that stuff .
Thanks
Lou Holtzman
Hey Lou, "Age of Quarrel" we did in your studio made it on the Village Voice's "The Top 20 New York Hardcore and Metal Albums of All Time..."

Guess which position it's in?

It ain't number twenty, bro!!!

The Top 20 New York Hardcore and Metal Albums of All Time - New York - Music - Sound of the City - Page 4
Old 25th July 2013
Here for the gear

Whoa!!!
Old 8th September 2019
Super Moderator

This month marks the 33 year anniversary of this quintessential NYHC band and album!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search