The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
aw hell, it's resolution time.....
Old 25th December 2002
Lives for gear

aw hell, it's resolution time.....

as a Gearslut in good standing, I resolve to not purchase any cheap gear. I will only purchase products from companies that manufacture high quality recording equipment. I will try to use my purchasing power to support independent manufacturers and local retailers

as a recording engineer who is not trying to make a living from my studio, I will concentrate on finding artists who could benefit from some free recording time and not take any gigs just for money. I'll refer any paying clients whose music doesn't interest me to studios that could use the business.

and I'm gonna lose ten pounds......

happy holidays, folks!

steve
[email protected]
Old 25th December 2002
Lives for gear

LOL, when I saw this topic, I thought you were talking about sample rate resolution....

Uhm, I resolve to stop doing so many indie projects and getting back to the majors. And to, uhm, stop farting in the control room.
Old 25th December 2002
Moderator emeritus

Where's my treadmill? I know it was around 6 months ago (the last time I stepped on it). I've got about 65 pounds to lose - my wife has started reminding me to get the XXL T shirts at trade shows...
Old 25th December 2002
Gear Addict

I resolve to build DIY gear in earnest (SSL Bus compressor first, then maybe the talkback limiter, and some Langevin AM-16 derivatives, all of which is floating around RO threads), and get my little spare bedroom lair into more order. I have U373's and W295a's that I still haven't permanently racked, for chrissakes.

Bear
Old 25th December 2002
My resoulutions are based around fiber & fruit increase in my diet to lower cholesterol and a (pedal) bike purchase to get me fit.

Of course, kicking ass in the music biz in 2,003 is high up there on the list!

Gearslut resolutions are - Use what you have but dont discount 'strategic augmentation' of existing equipment...

Old 25th December 2002
Lives for gear

resolutions

"strategic augmentation" - brilliant! A phrase like that almost justifies our gear obsessions.

And Bear reminded me of an important omission from my list: getting all those old modules racked and put to use, AND repairng all of the old gear lying around the studio. Even though the shit looks extremely cool just sitting there, it's a sin against the Gear Gods to let vintage gear sit around unused because it needs some maintenance or minor repairs.

steve
Old 25th December 2002
Lives for gear

My resolution list is simple:

1. Stop obsessing about mixes and such, and have more fun...
2. Less compression...
3. Less reverb...
4. Always remember that clients come and go, but really close friends are very hard to come by...
5. Reduce the number of really studip questions I ask...

Peace, y'all

Ken
Old 25th December 2002
One with big hooves

I do need to tone up, not really lose weight. Gear wise I'm pretty happy where I am. I need to upgrade the DAW and I'll probably score more mics this year. I've got my sights set on something like an E47 or Bottle. That was the goal for this year but well, life happened. I also need to find more clients with a workable budget rather then the people that want to record 12 songs for $600. How about two songs for $600???
Old 26th December 2002
Gear Addict

Aw shit you had to go mention the weight thing didn't you
For years my mantra has been the old talking blues verse
"If you wanta get to heaven gona tell you how to do it
Gotta grease your feet witha little mutton suet
Ease on outta the devils hand
Slide over to the promised land
Take it easy, go greeeasy"
Now I see all the guys my age dropping dead of heart attacks, Strummer and my friend Zal , whom like me shared an unhealthy relationship with chicken skin and scotch, and I'm thinking might be time for that resolution.
Hey there's still a few days left right maybe I can get through the side of beef, the lamb, and the 50 Ibs of pork chops and pork roasts and the venison and the huge ham, that are in the freezer before the New year. Now that's a goal worth striving for, MMMM Ham.
As far as gear goes I agree heartily with the time to get out the soldering gun idea, lots of stuff here could use a tune up, and I do have to score some ribbon mics this year. Take care and the best in the New Year. Logan
Old 26th December 2002
Lives for gear

les see.......lose weight
keep handicap @5 or less(this means practice)
FINALLY record project we've been demoing all year
sell the crap outta it

score really good mic or two and a couple more quality pre's
get the dog to lose weight with me

have a good time doing it and laugh a lot

happy holidaze to all you slutz and keep up the shiny examples for us po'boys to learn from and thanx to jules for startin such a cool place for us to congregate and be as one mind....uuhhh maybe more than one mind but you'all get the picture............................PEACE................................

oh yeah...2003 is the year of the banjo.........P
Old 26th December 2002
Lives for gear

stop smoking ...... again ........

back to the gymn ........ again ........

go to bed earlier and get up before 11.00 am

continue being happy with my life.
Old 30th December 2002
Gear Guru

Be healthier.

Be less cynical.

Get website up.

Get all repairs done.

Get some damn sleep.

Get out of part-time pimp job.

Be nice to the wife.
Old 4th January 2003
urumita

32bit floating point at 384 kHz or 44.1x64- or 1bitx2.8442 MHz
Old 4th January 2003
Lives for gear

yeah self discipline is a big one
Old 4th January 2003
Lives for gear

My beautiful wife gave me the kick in the ass (and the checkbook ) to fullfill my other obsession that has been on hold for the last 2 years (2 years that I have been full-time enginner/producing whilst gaining 30 lbs grudge )

went shopping for a new mtn bike!!! Looks like the cannondale Scalpel

I WILL get out and ride at least 3 days a week. dammit. and start racing 24 hour events in the summer...

again , the AES show was a wake up call for me....so many fat guys at that show.....I started to wonder if it was a pre-requisite for sucsess as an engineer.
Old 4th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by cajonezzz
again , the AES show was a wake up call for me....so many fat guys at that show.....I started to wonder if it was a pre-requisite for sucsess as an engineer.
You don't really have to be fat to be a successful engineer . . . . but you do need to have lost all muscle tone from sitting in a frikkin' chair all day, so that your butt hits the back of your shoes when you walk.
Old 4th January 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by cajonezzz

Ouch! Well, so far I've only missed one day on the treadmill this week, and my wife has put us on a controlled diet (which means no french fries, fried chickes, or sweets). It sucks, but it's gotta be done...
Old 6th January 2003
Here for the gear

mine

1. 1600x1200

2. actually record some music for a change. the amount of time i spend shitting around 'playing' leads me to believe I'm either
a perfectionist or a procrastinator. I'm leaning towards #2....

t
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear