The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Radar and such.
Old 22nd December 2002
Here for the gear

Radar and such.

I have been using the Radar for the last 2 months and have been basically been happy with it. We did have a problem with it last week with Whitney Houston. We had to do an overdub and it would not lock to picture.l (Whitney had to lipsync to pict to fix a verse.) had to bring in a PT Rig. To say I was not too happy would be an understatement. I was actually on vacation and was not on the gig. My crew are all very competent and know hard disk recording inside and out. I called IZ and they are going to send someone out to look at the situation.
tut Again I can not stress the importance or recording to a tape sorce backup while recording to any hard disk system.
If you are in a position where your client would be ok if the system carshed then go for it. If not, you have been warned. A hard disk recording system is basically a computer. All computers crash at sometime or another. The ones who back up their hard drives survive without much grief those who don't wish they had.

Kooster
Old 22nd December 2002
Super Moderator

Amen to that my friend.

You are preaching to the choir! HD recording without a safety net is a big no no in our world!!

All our past HD projects worked without a hitch. I guess it's because we had tape backing up the HD. I don't think the HD system had the balls to fail while "tape backup" was hanging around. heh

IMHO, having two HD systems running is still not a true backup record situation. When you're on location, you got to have a reliable recording medium. No if's, and's or but's!!! tut

Remember, you're as good as your last gig when you're recording a one time event. I'm not gonna let no stinkin' HD take the project down. grggt
Old 22nd December 2002
Jeeze...

I would have been sweating blood!

Old 23rd December 2002
Gear Head

Re: Radar and such.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kooster
We had to do an overdub and it would not lock to picture.
Kooster you are correct ANY system can experience failures. I have even had my share of tape problems so a back up is always a safe insurance policy.

But, if I understand your problem it was not a drive failure but a house sync or video black burst problem correct ? Granted a problem is still a problem but the situation you are describing is non-format specific.

As you know when you get into video sync issue this is a entirely different set of worms. I worked in the television industry for a number of years and when we ran into problems we always blamed it on "it must be a sync problem". hehehe

Lee
Old 24th December 2002
Here for the gear

Yes it was a sync issue but the protools was able to lock and the Radar did not. As I said I was not on the gig so I can only say what happened second handed. The work around they came up with would probably have worked with the Radar too but by the time they realized it they had already rented a PT unit from Dream Hire.
Kooster
Old 24th December 2002
Gear Head

Kooster, I certainly am not making excuse for the Radar and it is entirely possible it is simply broke.

But, when it comes to syncing video and audio gear I find that 99% of the time its a config or operator error problem.

Lee
Old 24th December 2002
Lives for gear

And from my time with Arista . . . The good news is . . . . you had such an ego-less, patient, loving, kind and tolerant individual (Whitney) for it to happen to! Especially if her overly kind and patient, philanthropist husband was there!

Old 29th December 2002
Lives for gear

Re: Radar and such.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kooster
I have been using the Radar for the last 2 months and have been basically been happy with it. We did have a problem with it last week with Whitney Houston. We had to do an overdub and it would not lock to picture.r
was it a Radar2 or Radar 24?
Weve been using Radar 24 chasing video flawlessly for some time now.
When you say it would not lock, do you mean it was out of sync, or it would not chase?

take care

Sean
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear