The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sennheiser to Introduce MKH 800 Twin Microphone
Old 20th April 2008
Thumbs up Sennheiser to Introduce MKH 800 Twin Microphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken K View Post
I saw an ad for an MKH8000 series mic and Sennheiser has three new mics listed on their website MKH 8020 (omni), 8040 (cardioid), and 8050 (super-cardioid). I emailed sennheiser and the reply said they would be launching them at AES so as of now they didn't have prices. I'm in the market for a pair of omnis so I thought I might wait and see what these turn out to be. Has anybody heard anything about these mics?
As a long time user and endorser of these wonerful mics, I saw this this morning - The new TWIN changeable capsule model that has just been announced. I am very excited about these:

Sennheiser to Introduce MKH 800 Twin Microphone at NAB | Studio Daily

Sennheiser: Sennheiser MKH 800 Twin

Sennheiser MKH 800 Twin - MacMusic

Cheers-

~skygod~
Old 20th April 2008
Lives for gear

Heard rumors of these coming for quite some time. It is not a new model- the old Neumann Quad 69 worked in this manner. Each capsule has its own output. By working with gain and phase, you can create your own patterns.

Also, be aware this is the 800 and not the 8000... (just clarifying considering the thread title).

-Ben
Old 20th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygod View Post
As a long time user and endorser of these wonerful mics, I saw this this morning - The new TWIN changeable capsule model that has just been announced. I am very excited about these:

Sennheiser to Introduce MKH 800 Twin Microphone at NAB | Studio Daily

Sennheiser: Sennheiser MKH 800 Twin

Sennheiser MKH 800 Twin - MacMusic

Cheers-

~skygod~
That's really interesting. I've always liked the sound of the MHK800 and this makes it even more attractive.

I've been wanting a Soundfield or a Josephson 7 series for thier adjustable patterns. I don't always know a hall's acoustics. And some events have complex setups, i.e. orchestras with choirs, and with different types and size ensembles sharing the stage at different times during a program. The ability to zoom in or out, to capture more or less hall, side, audience, etc, is a dream tool that should help location recordists deliver more consistent results in spite of uncontrollable variables by moving those decisions into post production.
Old 20th April 2008
0VU
Gear Addict

Yep, the MKH800 Twin isn't new news and depending upon whose comments you read actually is overdue for release. Or not, according to some others.

Multi output mics are not new either. The Soundfield mics and Neumann QM69 have already been mentioned, and there was also the AKG C424 Quad, and probably others.

The Pearl ELM-A mono mic and the DS-60 stereo mic, both of which give outputs from both sides of their dual diaphragm capsules are readily available current models.
Old 21st April 2008
Ah, so they finally released this thing. Couldn't happen to a nicer multipattern mic, IMO. thumbsup Like we didn't already have enough stuff to mess with after the session... heh

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
Old 21st April 2008
Lives for gear

While we' (the dealers) have received the press release and pricing. We have yet to hear of ship dates of the actual mics. We'll try to keep you posted.
Old 21st April 2008
Gear Guru

Cool

The new MKH 800 TWIN is available now (according to the Sennheiser Press Release).

I actually did a recording with this about three years ago (a very early version borrowed from the factory) together with an MKH 30 to give me 5.1 surround from just the three capsules - it sounded amazing.

This is a very versatile mic. if you start thinking about all the options:-
  • infinitely variable pattern mic.
  • The ability to add EQ and/or effects to the rear capsule only to correct room defects without having to do the same to the front capsule
  • The ability to add delay to the rear capsule only
  • MSM - Double MS rig
  • etc...
In fact the 800 TWIN is not identical to the MKH 800 as it does have improved capsules I have been told.
Old 21st April 2008
Here for the gear

Hi,
I work for Sennheiser. We will have MKH800Twins in stock in about 2 weeks. We will have them in nickel and nextel gray. As far as I know, the capsules are identical to MKH800, but we are confirming that.
Thanks,
Josh
Old 21st April 2008
Here for the gear

Confirmed, capsules are exactly the same as MKH800.
Old 22nd April 2008
Lives for gear

Depending on what the polar pattern is set to, a Senn 800 can
function as either side address, end address or in between. It
might be usefull to decide what the polar pattern is before making
a recording.
Old 22nd April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
The new MKH 800 TWIN.....
I actually did a recording with this about three years ago (a very early version borrowed from the factory) together with an MKH 30 to give me 5.1 surround from just the three capsules.......
So you used the front capsule left and right for the front pickup, and the rear capsule for the surrounds, left and right?

(if that makes sense)
Old 22nd April 2008
Gear Guru

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracu View Post
Depending on what the polar pattern is set to, a Senn 800 can function as either side address, end address or in between. It might be useful to decide what the polar pattern is before making a recording.
The MKH 800 and 800 TWIN are both side address.

With the TWIN you can record the two capsules in seperate tracks and combine them at the edit choosing the polar pattern then - you can even add EQ or filters (for example) to the rear capsule to tame nasty acoustics without having to do the same to the front capsule. heh
Old 22nd April 2008
Gear Guru

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
So you used the front capsule left and right for the front pickup, and the rear capsule for the surrounds, left and right?

(if that makes sense)
The front left and right were made by an MS set-up of the front capsule and the MKH 30 (fig-8).

The centre was the front capsule only (it could equally be adjustable pattern by using the rear capsule as well).

The rear left and right were made by an MS set-up of the rear capsule and the MKH 30 (fig-8). In theory you could add delay to the rear and fig-8 used for the rear to move them back a bit.

Using the Schoeps Double MS plug-in with this arrangement makes things even more versatile - especially as this arrangement makes the capsules as co-incident as you can get.
Old 22nd April 2008
Gear Maniac

For people thinking about using the Sennheiser MKH 800 Twin: I made a plug-in for Mac OS X, VST and Audio Unit, to handle the MKH 800 Twin signal. It does nothing more than what could be achieve in a DAW with appropriate routing, but it does save from using additional channels.
Ambisonic Studio | DSP800 Plug-in

And since we're talking about Double MS, I also have a plug-in to handle that, and although the input is adjusted for the difference in sensitivities between the Schoeps CCM 4V and CCM 8 (3 mV/Pa), the plug-in can be used with the MKH 800 Twin and a fig-8.
Ambisonic Studio | DMS2Five Plug-in

This page can be useful when dealing with microphones sensitivities
Microphone sensitivity conversion - sengpielaudio

And Sennheiser do have a page now...
Sennheiser Worldwide: MKH 800 Twin

- Daniel

Last edited by Kewl; 22nd April 2008 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: Add URL
Old 23rd April 2008
Lives for gear

"The MKH 800 and 800 TWIN are both side address."

Take a Senn 800, and talk into it, listening through headphones, while
changing the polar patterns, turning the mic from side to end each time.
Old 23rd April 2008
Gear Guru

Smile

Quote:
"The MKH 800 and 800 TWIN are both side address."

Take a Senn 800, and talk into it, listening through headphones, while
changing the polar patterns, turning the mic from side to end each time.
Yes - that will clearly show that it's a side address mic.
Old 1st September 2008
Here for the gear

Hi,

does anyone know if this mic has been released yet? I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks.
Old 1st September 2008
Gear Guru

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldaniel View Post
Hi,

does anyone know if this mic has been released yet? I can't find it anywhere.
Yes, the MKH 800 TWIN *is* out and on sale; a friend just bought one and is using it in an MSM rig.
Old 1st September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, the MKH 800 TWIN *is* out and on sale; a friend just bought one and is using it in an MSM rig.
I suspect your and my friend is a mutual one, however he told me that he was very impressd with it and that it was the subject of a Audio Media review.

Regards

Roland
Old 1st September 2008
I placed a pair on order about 2 weeks ago, they said it was about 5 weeks lead time here in the U.S. I still don't know the exact ETA, but hoping that is is soon.
Old 1st September 2008
Lives for gear

It seems to me that the positioning of the mkh800 for recieving sound on axis is different for each polar pattern. I say this based on careful observation. So setting the mic to recieve sound as a "side address" mic (because the diaphragms are pointing towards the sides), and then deciding on the polar pattern in post, would mean making a haphazard decision on the positioning of the mic.
Old 1st September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
It seems to me that the positioning of the mkh800 for recieving sound on axis is different for each polar pattern.
Where does it say that this mic is supposed to be used on-axis...?

D.
Old 1st September 2008
0VU
Gear Addict

Quote:
It seems to me that the positioning of the mkh800 for recieving sound on axis is different for each polar pattern.
How?

Surely, the operating axis of the capsule is defined mechanically by the design of capsule and mounting and, even though the angular performance around this axis will change with varying polar pattern, the axis itself doesn't change.

If the capsules/diaphragms are back to back, and neither is re-oriented in changing the polar pattern, then the polar axis remains the same regardless of polar pattern.

Whether or not the different patterns sound equally desirable on axis is a different matter; the 'on axis' angle doesn't change.
Old 1st September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
It seems to me that the positioning of the mkh800 for recieving sound on axis is different for each polar pattern. I say this based on careful observation. So setting the mic to recieve sound as a "side address" mic (because the diaphragms are pointing towards the sides), and then deciding on the polar pattern in post, would mean making a haphazard decision on the positioning of the mic.
In a side address mic the diaphragms are pointing 1. forward and 2. backward obviously. Not sideways.

Side address just means the mic body is not pointing to the source.

However you could use the MKH800 as a side/side side address mic : then it becomes a stereo mic with two cardioid capsules at 180 degrees...
Old 1st September 2008
Quote:
It seems to me that axis will not change, no matter how the audio is handled in post. But your point, about haphazard placement, is of course, something to note. I don't think that the features of a dual output mic are meant to eliminate proper placement, just more flexibility in processing or polar patterns changes. Haphazardness in the placement would not be due to the mic being side address in of itself, but due to operator error.
Old 1st September 2008
Gear Guru

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
I suspect your and my friend is a mutual one, however he told me that he was very impressd with it and that it was the subject of a Audio Media review.
Very possibly - he wrote the review and was so impressed he then bought one. heh
Old 1st September 2008
Gear Guru

Exclamation

Quote:
Not at all - this is wrong - it's a side-address mic. and on the TWIN it is marked "FRONT".

Under no circumstances should it be used end-on.

That goes for the MKH 80, MKH 800 and MKH 800 TWIN>
Old 1st September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Under no circumstances should it be used end-on.
Not unless it is the S mic in an MS pair. there its used "end on".
Old 1st September 2008
Gear Guru

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Not unless it is the S mic in an MS pair. there its used "end on".
No it's not - it's a side mic. and pointing to the side.

It's not being used end-on at all.

heh heh heh
Old 1st September 2008
Lives for gear

**** like that is so obvious ..
right on sinny!
📝 Reply