The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Isolated tracks...what are the sources ?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Isolated tracks...what are the sources ?

Let's play forensic detective for a while....where are they all coming from ?

You've probably seen examples already....here's a pair:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i4em-dhtbbw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wCFrWEWDxew

What are the sources...legitimate or stolen/copied/bootlegged ?
Original tracks..or heavy DSP extraction processing ..simple phase inversion ?

The Evidence:

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=...Y4t18nIt2_6LXD

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=...zGKA1WB0RSsKuT

Pretty impressive hey, especially the absence or presence of leakage of some tracks and not others, not to mention the clarity...and the ability to tell mic types, limiting/compression/eqing etc

The Speculation: https://www.geeksandbeats.com/2014/0...s-coming-from/

A Prime Suspect: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock...e)#Development

Another Suspect: https://www.abbeyroad.com/de-mix

More Evidence: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dQUAUO...crRswoX9l_ehgg

Last edited by studer58; 4 days ago at 08:18 AM..
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Izotope RX8 "Music Rebalance" tool does just that, with a lot better isolation than these if you set it to highest quality setting.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dseetoo ➑️
The Izotope RX8 "Music Rebalance" tool does just that, with a lot better isolation than these if you set it to highest quality setting.
I'm highly sceptical...but supply audio proof by all means if you wish to !
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
When I first played with this feature in RX8 I was wondering who would need something like that. Now we know there is at least one usage.

That damn thing really works, like magic.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ok...give me a tympani from "Rite of Spring" ...or just an electric bass track from a classic rock song...or a piano line from "Kind of Blue"

PS: I didn't realise there was a Fender Bass guitar played in The Doors' "Light My Fire"...thought it was always a bass pedal underneath Manzarek's keyboard. That was for live shows apparently, but for album sessions electric bass players were brought in...Larry Knechtel from The Wrecking Crew in this case. There's an acoustic guitar there also, low in the mix....

See....isolated tracks are fun !

"Light My Fire (Isolated Tracks)" https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pxKpKMQ4cwc

Last edited by studer58; 4 days ago at 09:57 AM..
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Currently, Music Rebalance can separate voice, bass, percussion and all other pitched instruments as one stream. 4 separated streams in total. So, for early Beatles recordings, with very simple instrumentation, this works very well. It is not smart enough to separate individual instruments from an orchestra recording, as yet. Probably in version 2.0 it might be able to do it. Again, I only played with it but never actually used it.

With this capability, I can see EMI decides to completely re-master the Beatles early recordings. Once the voices are split, you can easily apply whatever the process to them, independently then recombine them just like what you do with any pop music production.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It sounds like a powerful technology...with wide potential application. In the post-production/editing phase of classical and chamber (as well as rock, jazz and other) music, it seems reasonable to expect that it might tighten up our spot miking and area/sectional miking...reducing unwanted spill without the need to add more (or tighter pattern) mics ?

When you think about it, that ability alone would make it something of a welcome holy grail watershed...in the realm of concert recording !

Pretty exciting and promising development....I'm fully expecting that enthusiastic participation in this thread, once folks pick up on the implications, will push it beyond that of the current Anubis one .... !
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Quote:

The Izotope RX8 'Music Rebalance' is quite an impressive tool. It has been helpful for us.
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness ➑️
The Izotope RX8 'Music Rebalance' is quite an impressive tool. It has been helpful for us.
same here...there,s a 30 day trial.

Ray
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayS ➑️
same here...there,s a 30 day trial.

Ray
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

A lot of multi-tracks in the ecosystem are ripped from rhythm based multiplayer party game franchises like Beatmania ,Dj Hero.. Rockband.. Guitar Hero. There are 1000s of song titles released across multiple console dating back to the late 90s.Some of the content are cover versions or original licensed songs which have been simplified for gamers with guitar , drum , keyboard & turntable themed peripherals.

The file format is compressed Ogg or Mogg which is the multi track variation.You could legally rip the original content from the source & separate the files if you had some technical knowledge.

Stem separation software is amazing but there are limitations.

Virtualdj 2021 has real-time stem separation & the home version is free. Many more examples are in this topic.

K-Def crazy instruments isolation
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
When I first played with this feature in RX8 I was wondering who would need something like that. Now we know there is at least one usage.

That damn thing really works, like magic.
I hardly doubt that RX8 or any other software could isolate tracks like the Fender bass in Light My Fire as on the above posted YT link. These - and many others I've listenend to - have to be sourced from the original multitracks.

I'd like such software to exist and invite anyone with Izotope RX8 software to isolate for example the Fender Bass and the acoustic guitar in Light My Fire with it in equal quality.
I would be very surprised and would buy it immediately.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP ➑️
I hardly doubt that RX8 or any other software could isolate tracks like the Fender bass in Light My Fire as on the above posted YT link. These - and many others I've listenend to - have to be sourced from the original multitracks.

I'd like such software to exist and invite anyone with Izotope RX8 software to isolate for example the Fender Bass and the acoustic guitar in Light My Fire with it in equal quality.
I would be very surprised and would buy it immediately.
This seems more plausible to me as well.

The giveaway is in some of the Beatles isolated tracks linked to in the first post's collections...several of the vocals have between-verse spoken utterances which were obviously muted at mixdown time, yet are clearly audible here.

RX8 is probably very good...but I doubt it can insert random chatter not present in the official mixes !

So I think many of them are straight transfers from the multitrack...certainly those recorded post-1968
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➑️
This seems more plausible to me as well.

The giveaway is in some of the Beatles isolated tracks linked to in the first post's collections...several of the vocals have between-verse spoken utterances which were obviously muted at mixdown time, yet are clearly audible here.

RX8 is probably very good...but I doubt it can insert random chatter not present in the official mixes !

So I think many of them are straight transfers from the multitrack...certainly those recorded post-1968
Here,s RX 8 on Voice!

Short vocal excerpt...

and no, just bass has been impossible ..for now...but i did get the voice almost totally separated from music but with some artifacts with extreme separation ....which is not the point of the plugin but easy although not politically correct to re-balance a mix that has some vocals in it ....in my defense, it's all studer58 's fault for posting this and dseetoo for replying and mine for following it up with RX8 which I use for other things

Ray
Attached Files

20210225 1831 Recording.mp3 (353.4 KB, 199 views)

20210225 1829 Recording.mp3 (158.0 KB, 192 views)

Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Here,s RX 8 on Voice!

Short vocal excerpt....in my defense, it's all studer58 's fault for posting this and dseetoo for replying and mine for following it up with RX8 which I use for other things

Ray
Very impressive indeed. All's fair in love and...cleaning up !!

Diverging from the original thread (genesis of the Beatles and other solo tracks...) it would be great to hear some samples of "extreme rescue/clean-ups"....where you've been able to remove some particularly egregious background noise....or extract usable signal from a seemingly 'lost cause' source ?
Old 23 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Diverging from the original thread (genesis of the Beatles and other solo tracks...) it would be great to hear some samples of "extreme rescue/clean-ups"....where you've been able to remove some particularly egregious background noise....or extract usable signal from a seemingly 'lost cause' source ?

Something I did from a 78RPM record
Old 21 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Something I did from a 78RPM record
There's no doubt that it's hit the hiss and scratches with an atomic bomb...but it's gone too far into antiseptic and artifact territory too. The timbre of both instruments have morphed into caricatures, with lost detail and a 'glue-like molasses texture'.

It reminds me of the early days of over-enthusiastic digital noise removal...before the practitioners found the sweet spot of maintaining original instrumental and voice quality, while reducing the worst of the intrusive noise.

Mind you, the original captured instrumental quality here was nothing great to begin with...it sounds like a horn/funnel recording direct to shellac, very mid-heavy ! I could tolerate a modicum of the original hiss and scratch, if it bought back some of the original texture too.
Old 11 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:

removed banging noises....

Ray
Attached Files

w noise .mp3 (179.6 KB, 94 views)

no noise .mp3 (179.6 KB, 93 views)

Old 11 hours ago
Lives for gear
This really is amazing stuff. Steinberg's SpectraLayers does something similar - the "free" version with Cubase 11 is limited to demixing vocals only. Still. amazing!
Old 6 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
removed banging noises....Ray
πŸ“ Reply