The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What do others here consider the best small cardioid mics for flying in a church?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
Here's a somewhat 'audience distance' pic of a pair of hung Omni mics with a shiny nickel-finish spacer bar. The nylon fishing lines holding them slightly backwards, towards the audience....visible or not ? It's a good all-rounder pickup for anything happening on stage, including the organ behind
Nice!!! thanks for sharing.

When I worked for the local college the Dean did not want to see microphones on the stage, said it "undignified" the performance. He was also not a fan of hanging mics said "they look unnatural in the hall" and "un-beautified" the organs. So we had to depend mostly on on single hanging stereo microphones (Neumann SM-69s or AKG C422s) to do most of the live recordings. He is gone and now their is a plethora of microphones hanging in the concert halls. It is amazing how one person can have so much power over how recordings are done.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2bern ➡️
Schoeps with KC10 cables. [. . .]
On a related note. . .

About 5 years ago I picked up a Schoeps EMC 5 U [Kevlar sheath] HQ Microphone Cable to use in suspended applications with my miniCMIT. At the time, it sold for $110.

The sheath material was similar to the Active Colette cables [e.g., KC 10], I think. A primary attribute was that the cable wouldn't apply significant torsion on the suspended microphone over time. . .so the suspended mic is more inclined to stay precisely aligned in orientation.

I don't see an equivalent Schoeps mono cable now?

Ray H.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I think it is appropriate to consider the visual and practical aspects of installing microphones in any location. Studer58 posted a nice example of a mic install that doesn't detract from the visuals.

Generally speaking, hanging or suspending mics gets them out of the way on stage and hinders people from tinkering with their placement.

I appreciate the thought process and suggestions being posted here. Good information and discussion.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Also inconspicuous might be a pair of Sennheiser MKH8020 or 8040, flown as in Studer's photo example. The matte-tan finish is much less obvious than the foam filters (likely unnecessary), nickel XLRs, a chrome stereo bar or black mic clips. And... properly placed, they miss nothing. "Matte down" the support and they're visually as good as anything but a "dead hang" of omnis.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
@ fred2bern , your triple tree is blowing my mind a little.

12 channels, am I counting right?

And very tidy looking!!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➡️
With all the typical "church stuff" around not sure why anyone would get upset at some unobtrusive hanging mics.
HEY, wait! You could hang a huge cross facing downwards and put a Decca tree on it..... why didn't I think of that before?
--scott
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHeath ➡️
The sheath material was similar to the Active Colette cables [e.g., KC 10], I think. A primary attribute was that the cable wouldn't apply significant torsion on the suspended microphone over time. . .so the suspended mic is more inclined to stay precisely aligned in orientation.

I don't see an equivalent Schoeps mono cable now?
Consider Canare L-2E5. The braided shield won't unwrap, and the strength member is pretty good about staying in place. I think you could do better but the L-2E5 is probably the best you can do cheap off the shelf without going to a tray cable.
--scott
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klimermonk ➡️
@ fred2bern , your triple tree is blowing my mind a little.

12 channels, am I counting right?

And very tidy looking!!
Quick answer because out of the subject:
No, on the tree are 2 mkh800 twin: 4 channels, 3 M150 3 channels and 3MK22 3 channels.
On the flanks are also M150 + Twins.
Nothing special, just to secure when I'm not in a room that I already know. Sometimes I don't have the time I need to really setup the 5 M150 so the Twins are the secure option.
Sometime I go Decca with only 5 Twins.

The picture was just to show how small are the Schoeps with KC10.
This setup was a test for me to hear how I can use the tree with a wide cardio on strings to avoid some spot microphones in a live situation.
It works with a MK22 for left and right, the center has no interest, too much winds etc.

Fred.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I have shared this topic with my friend and he says to say "thanks" as well. We will be talking over the choices and when we reach a decision I will let the list know. Thanks again!
📝 Reply