The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any thoughts on why the sound was so bad for the Superbowl Halftime show?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Super Bowl Half time ...

I don't know if it was my cable provider or something wrong at the transmission end but the vocals for the halftime show were really, really low in the mix. I know most of it was lipped sync'd but not a good job with the mix. FWIW...

More info here https://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...0d4fad875a8fa4

Last edited by Thomas W. Bethe; 3 weeks ago at 12:38 PM.. Reason: Added a link
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I am sure the Weeknd people tore them a new one.

With social media any complaints get blasted world wide and everyone complained about the sound.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Any thoughts on why the sound was so bad for the Superbowl Halftime show?

Just wondering? Some other people's thoughts here https://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...0d4fad875a8fa4

I know it was mostly lipped sync'd but the voice was so low in the mix and the whole mix sounded bad. At first I thought it might have been some problems with the surround mix when listening to it in stereo but other people have also noticed it. I listened to it on a pair of ALON IV speaker powered by a Bryston 3BST amplifier with the audio coming off my TV into a Benchmark DAC-1. Not a really good job of mixing.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Don't know the artist and song, but from what I hear, a better mix would not have made a big difference. Still crap.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I wouldn't know. Saw about one minute of it and escaped to the shop to work on my new intercom.

D.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
NFL posted the entire performance.

Seems like they were trying to keep a lot of crowd noise in the mix throughout the show. Since it was a much smaller crowd - and less loud, relative to the PA - I'm guessing that was tough to manage.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I missed seeing the likes of MJ, the Stones, the "wow!" production with Lady Gaga, Tom Petty, and, particularly, Prince. This one was certainly far from "epic"... but, then... I'm old.

πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…